new drivers

ive recently read in truckstop news that there is a driver shortage of 100,000 drivers in the uk and they are wanting “new blood” to come into the industry
i passed my c and c+e in july last year after being made redundant from the railway in march , i was very lucky to drop onto a job driving c+e within 2 weeks with a local company, the money isnt good for the long hours but im new to the game then i found out all the other drivers are on the same wage, ie long hours and no overtime pay. after a few weeks in the job i was looking at other jobs better money not many nights out that sort of stuff. There was jobs out there but NOBODY is willing to give new drivers a chance at all not even agency which i tried to stay clear of, they all want 12 months to 2 yrs experience, how can u gain experience if no one will give you the chance to gain experience i just thankfull to my company who gave me the chance and being able to get the experience i need

you are very lucky mate, i passed in october and aint had a sniff of a job yet. your better riding out your current job til you get more experience and then start lookin about.

yesterday i emailed a company my CV who were advertising for a class 1 driver, 2 hours later i get a phone call from them, have a brief chat, made sure i told him i only passed in october, he said fine, come in for a interview, so i jump up get ready and off i go to the interview, i get there, we have a chat, he asks to see my licence, he sees i only passed in october and says sorry we cant take this any further as you dont have any experience. i was majorly zb’d off, 50 mile return journey for nothin. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Sad but true I’m afraid mate, as said- if you can put up with it, you’re better off where you are.

In a way, I’m lucky too, I’ve been flat out through the agency since I got my C+E in august (apart from this week) but there’s not many full time jobs I’d turn down, I’d have a job deciding though as I’m ok as I am.

It’s normal but IMHO, not really doing anyone any good.

darkseeker:
Sad but true I’m afraid mate, as said- if you can put up with it, you’re better off where you are.

In a way, I’m lucky too, I’ve been flat out through the agency since I got my C+E in august (apart from this week) but there’s not many full time jobs I’d turn down, I’d have a job deciding though as I’m ok as I am.

It’s normal but IMHO, not really doing anyone any good.

what agency are you using if you dont mind me asking?? are they just a local one to you or maybe they will have a place close to me too

there isn’t a driver shortage. it’s just agencies hyping things up so they can have more names on their books.
the real problem is a shortage of grafters in the uk. there has been for many years.

milllers1:
ive recently read in truckstop news that there is a driver shortage of 100,000 drivers in the uk and they are wanting “new blood” to come into the industry

I recently read in “Garden Fairy Weekly” that there may be fairies at the bottom of my garden. :wink:

Harry Monk:

milllers1:

I recently read in “Garden Fairy Weekly” that there may be fairies at the bottom of my garden. :wink:

Does your property back onto Clapham Common then H ■■

toowise:

Harry Monk:

milllers1:

Does your property back onto Clapham Common then H ■■

ha ha ha ha ha :laughing: :laughing:

milllers1:
ive recently read in truckstop news…

There’s your problem right there. Truckstop News makes the Daily Sport look like a credible newspaper, although the stuff printed in the Daily Sport is more accurate.

selby newcomer:
what agency are you using if you dont mind me asking?? are they just a local one to you or maybe they will have a place close to me too

Sorry mate, they’re only local, not that I’d really recommend them :wink: apart from the fact they got me a start I’ve had nothing but crap jobs and hastle from them.

that rumour was quoted years ago and been running ever since they should of changed it to 100,000 driver shortage who wont work for minimum wage.

IMHO it’s industry trick to make more people sitting at home or get job for less money. They obviously try to put logistics cost down but as so many drivers rather sit home than go work for 6-7 p/h they can do nothing. If they have people who spend few hundreds for license sitting home is easier as those will be willing to work for less to get money back and do some work. If cost go down than experience will play 2nd role.
There are other ways to put company expenses down like common sense planning but no one is interested about it… :unamused:

MisterStrood:
There are other ways to put company expenses down like common sense planning but no one is interested about it… :unamused:

That is old hat I am afraid, the days of juggling loads and lorries have been taken over by JIT planning which now means you need 6 lorries to deliver 14 pallets. Unfortunately the old companies went out of business because they could not compete with the multinationals