New Drivers

Hi, Ive past my class 2 licence Feb 2010. Ive had class 2 driving experience previous to this, on the docks in 2006 - 2008. I’m finding this really hard finding a job. Does anyone know of any employer that is accepting new drivers. I’ve also got my ADR licence and within the next two weeks my class 1 aswell. I would really appreciate any replies. thank you.

For most, myself included, the only way really is 2yrs with agencies. Best thing to do is to sign up with about 5 and hope for the best. That’s what I did.

For the first year, it was a bit quiet and I did some appauling jobs - including standing in a quarry all day in a snow blizzard picking rubbish out of an ever growing pile of muck coming off a conveyor belt. Now, I’ve only ever had work from three of the agencies I signed with but as soon as I was anywhere near 2yrs it’s gone mad! I’m working for one and both of the others are ringing me wanting me to do something. I’ve had one job offer but it was a job I didn’t want and another firm were looking at taking me on but for some reason trained one of their employees up instead.

I’m shooting myself in the foot a little bit now though as I’m doing my class 1 and I’ll almost be back to square 1 experience wise, all I can do is hope my reputation helps.

The one thing you can do is go knocking on doors sign on the agencies and take whatever you can to build up your reputation you will have alot of knock backs but if you keep at it eventually something will happen got to be prepared for the fact that some will not be interested and a door will slam in your face but there are companies that will give you a chance you just gotta be in the right place at the right time and the more people you ask the better chance of being in that place its hard your confidence will have to have broad shoulders so good luck I hope you get your break :slight_smile: jennie x

Thanxs for getting back to me Jenny and darkseeker. Realisticaly, its a waiting game!!! Is this just for class 2 or is it on a broad sence - i.e ADR and class 1 aswell? I thought becoming a HGV driver was the hard bit, - theoretically getting a job the easy bit. Which is leaving me a bit… :blush: :blush:

You’re not the only one who made that mistake.

I.m.o. Class 2’s work, sometimes you’re lucky sometimes you’re not. Anything on top of that can only help, adr, class 1, hiab etc. Especially true if you go the agency route.

Personally, I’m sick of agencies, but for the majority they’re the only way to get experience. Best of luck anyway.

Truckerbill:
I thought becoming a HGV driver was the hard bit, - theoretically getting a job the easy bit. Which is leaving me a bit… :blush: :blush:

May I ask what indication did you have that getting a job would be easy??

You’ve got to keep plugging away and don’t let the ■■■■■■■■ grind you down, you will get knock backs, but don’t be put off, it’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, it’s not the end!! :grimacing:

Truckerbill:
Hi, Ive past my class 2 licence Feb 2010. Ive had class 2 driving experience previous to this, on the docks in 2006 - 2008. I’m finding this really hard finding a job. Does anyone know of any employer that is accepting new drivers. I’ve also got my ADR licence and within the next two weeks my class 1 aswell. I would really appreciate any replies. thank you.

Hi Truckerbill,

I feel your pain mate, but it’s always been the same since I started in 1976. Back then, there wasn’t really the ‘agency’ route that we have in these modern times, so I’d say that agencies are a good way for newbies to get a foot in the door.

The idea is quite simple… you go to work for an agency, then you get ‘noticed’ by one of their clients and maybe you’ll be offered a job. Those who keep their heads down and their traps shut usually do best, but please NEVER be afraid to ask a question and listen to good advice. You’re off to a good start in that regard, simply cos of your approach. :wink:

I’d say that it’s good that you’ve got your ADR, because that can put you at an advantage.
Let’s say that an ADR job needs to be done… There’s a guy with 10-years experience (but no ADR) and yourself available to do it…
Guess who gets that job? The other guy’s experience becomes irrelevant, because of a qualification that you already hold. Of course, the same would be true of a HIAB or Moffett qualification, or indeed any other form of qualification that some client companies may need a driver to hold for the type of traffic that they carry. :smiley:

I think you’re off to a good start, but I’m afraid I can only repeat the advice already given, which is to keep plugging away, cos something WILL turn up for you. It may be that you pass your C+E test, but PLEASE don’t expect to drive them straight away, because it’s only quite rare for that to happen. If you make yourself available for Cat “C” or even Transit van work, that will get you noticed much earlier than those who imagine they’ll just be let loose with an artic. Your time will come mate, so in the meantime, please keep looking around and posting on here, cos you never know what you might find. :wink: :grimacing:

Thanx very much to all you Guys (and lady)!!! Your interests are well noted and I have already started on some class 2 work with a agency where i live. Thats the good part, the bad part is my Digi card is stuck in the VU Digi Card machine, saying “card not ejecting” - and now i cant get it out, so i tried and others to get it out and now the machine is saying “security breach”. What is going to happen now, an i going to be in trouble by the police and/or vosa or what? :confused: :confused:

I have no idea how you get it out as I have not used my card yet, I know you have to carry it on you when ever you are driving commercially but you have 15 days to get a replacement card if your card is no good.

Tell the TM of the company you are working for they will probs send you round to the garage to get the card out or something, If there is some code or something like that I think you would have to do a print out and explain what happened.

Not 100% but coffeeholic or tachograph I think would be the best ones to ask to get a definitive answer

Truckerbill:
Thanx very much to all you Guys (and lady)!!! Your interests are well noted and I have already started on some class 2 work with a agency where i live. Thats the good part, the bad part is my Digi card is stuck in the VU Digi Card machine, saying “card not ejecting” - and now i cant get it out, so i tried and others to get it out and now the machine is saying “security breach”. What is going to happen now, an i going to be in trouble by the police and/or vosa or what? :confused: :confused:

Are you in the truck now ?
If so,try turning the ignition off for a few minutes,then turn it on again and press the eject button.

Well after a week off driving (due to loss of digi card) i now have it back…only to find no flippin work…again. But hear’s to all you lucky people who are in their driving seat :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: nice one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . WHY do you ask? Because my time will come… :smiley:

Be Careful of the Toes U Step on 2day, as they may be connected2 the ■■■ u gotta kiss 2moro!