New drivers allowed?

Hello all, I’ve only recently (3 months ago) passed my Class 1 test so am new to the forum, hope you will go easy on me!! :blush:

I was a Manager in ‘sales’ but got fed up of the stress involved so did something about it. Been doing agency since passing and I’m really enjoying it. Luckily enough I’ve managed to get a full time job and start tomorrow - it’s container work - so would anyone have any tips for a newbie?

redbob:
Hello all, I’ve only recently (3 months ago) passed my Class 1 test so am new to the forum, hope you will go easy on me!! :blush:

I was a Manager in ‘sales’ but got fed up of the stress involved so did something about it. Been doing agency since passing and I’m really enjoying it. Luckily enough I’ve managed to get a full time job and start tomorrow - it’s container work - so would anyone have any tips for a newbie?

Obviously not :confused: :frowning:

@redbob give it time some people work nights some work during the day
have a look through the site and some time later people will start to answer

If you’re not sure of anything - ask! Better ask a ‘daft’ question than face the consequences.

Also… don’t treat all advice as gospel, especially that given without you asking for it!

Hi Redbob, firstly, who are you on for and where?

as for advice, make sure you undo the twistlocks BEFORE the container is lifted off and AFTER the new one is on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

as daft as it may sound, you would be surprised at how many people forget this simple job :unamused:

if you are picking up a loaded container from anywhere, drive very carefully for the first part as you do not know how it is loaded and what the weight distribution is like.

do not run with the sliding skelly in the shortened down position (20’ tipping position), even with an empty container, it is dangerous :exclamation:

if you want anymore advice, PM me with specific questions or for a general chat about it :wink:

Although i’ve had Class 2 for a couple of years i’ve only recently been driving a 26 tonner after 3 years on 7.5t.

My approach was to slow down,relax,and let the day go at it’s own pace. It worked.

shuttlespanker:

as for advice, make sure you undo the twistlocks BEFORE the container is lifted off and AFTER the new one is on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

as daft as it may sound, you would be surprised at how many people forget this simple job :unamused:

if you are picking up a loaded container from anywhere, drive very carefully for the first part as you do not know how it is loaded and what the weight distribution is like.

do not run with the sliding skelly in the shortened down position (20’ tipping position), even with an empty container, it is dangerous :exclamation:

if you want anymore advice, PM me with specific questions or for a general chat about it :wink:

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: Source?

shuttlespanker:

Thanks a lot, some great advice there. It just seems soooo different from doing tautliners, I’m quite nervous! :confused:

brit pete:
@redbob give it time some people work nights some work during the day
have a look through the site and some time later people will start to answer

ooops sorry, I was forgetting I had the day off whilst everyone was hard at it!! :laughing:

hiya rob, i only started on containers last mon.
i love it. the hardest thing for me was getting used to undoing the twist locks before you go in to get/part with the box
take plenty reading stuff or laptop cos 6 hours to load/tip a box is not uncommon.
make sure the doors are always at the back, and have plenty of spare seals. if you have any doubts, ask.
as the other box jockeys are very very helpful. and enjoy it.

as a relatively new container driver myself all I can say is all the ports are different. don’t be afraid to ask other drivers I have found them all to be very helpfull. and relax. don’t become a ■■■ in a trance for the first week like I did :smiley:

greggy:
i love it. the hardest thing for me was getting used to undoing the twist locks before you go in to get/part with the box
take plenty reading stuff or laptop cos 6 hours to load/tip a box is not uncommon.
make sure the doors are always at the back, and have plenty of spare seals. if you have any doubts, ask.

you may be a box jockey as you have not been doing the job very long, but i have been doing it for quite a while now and have graduated to a Twistlock Technician :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

greggy:

The bit thats daunting me is lengthing and shortening the trailer, I suppose i’ll just get used to it?

redbob:
The bit thats daunting me is lengthing and shortening the trailer, I suppose i’ll just get used to it?

It’s easy, it’s just like shunting forwards or backwards a bit, except that the trailer wheels don’t come with you, :wink:

Hi all, well thats the end of my 1st day on the containers and I actually quite enjoyed it! :slight_smile:

The only thing was waiting @ Freightliners in Trafford Park for bl**dy ages!! If you’ve been you’ll know what I mean.

Thanks for all the tips yesterday :wink:

redbob:
The only thing was waiting @ Freightliners in Trafford Park for bl**dy ages!! If you’ve been you’ll know what I mean.

Wait while you go to Freightliner leeds, i was gonna say when they are busy but to be honest its crap most of the time :grimacing: :grimacing:

philberg182:

redbob:

Wait while you go to Freightliner leeds, i was gonna say when they are busy but to be honest its crap most of the time :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cheers for the tip off, I can hardly wait! :unamused: :grimacing:

Dont worry you getting paid for it :laughing: depends if you are salaried or hourly paid like me :laughing: the hardest part of my day is driving 10mph or open the curtains

Where was this bloody website when I was thrown the keys to an old ERF coupled to a 20 ft skelly and old Merzario box,
handballed top to bottom with cooking oil and two poor geezers struggling to get the friggin doors closed after loading. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kidding aside, the best of luck with your new job, and I’m sure the boys on the boxes here at tnet will keep you right. :wink: