New Book

I see in my local newspaper there’s a new book out this week.
It’s called,“North Staffordshire Hauliers”, price £9-95.
Got to get one!

bestbooties:
Got to get one!

Hullo Ian,
When’s the other one coming out ? Taylors T.I.R.Traveling TimeTales. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.

Over half way now mate.
If I can stay alive another 12 months I may get it into print.

bestbooties:
Over half way now mate.

Ha! Ha!,
If I can stay alive, I’ll definately have a copy. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.

It was on sale at the Retro Show

bestbooties:
Over half way now mate.

i hope a certain model gets included in the book, be nice to see it there.

bestbooties:
Got to get one!

hi ian

how you doin, put me down for a copy of your book mate, the advert in the sentinel does it say where you can get it from as i dunner ave the sentinel.

cheers
gaz

Gaz,
I’ll have a look in W.H.Smiths when I’m in town tomorrer.

bestbooties:
Gaz,

They have the book here Amazon.co.uk
Cheers Dave.

Not seen it in town today,I’ll get it from Amazon.

Dave the Renegade:

bestbooties:
Gaz,

They have the book here Amazon.co.uk
Cheers Dave.

Also available AND IN STOCK Now from here nynehead-books.co.uk

(posting approved by Rikki)

Just ordered a copy from Amazon, thanks for the info.

bestbooties:
Not seen it in town today,I’ll get it from Amazon.

cheers for the info ian, dave & everybody, ive just ordered it from amazon too :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

cheers
gaz

Just ordered mine from Nynehead books
Received it on thursday 29th.

hi lads, just been told , new book is on sale at store 21 in leek. at 9.95. going down in the morning. will post outcome before noon. good luck

correction to last post i was told wrongly, book was on sale at home bargains leek but it is sold out. so, i have ordered it on amazon, sorry about that.

Got my book eventually from Amazon,long wait but well worth it.
Have read it cover to cover in two days.
I didn’t hear they were looking for contributors as I worked for Vic Wild,Carmans and Chapman and Ball and could have added a couple of pages of nostalgia.
I was surprised that in the article about Carmans,no mention was made of the time they spent on m/e work.
I was one of the o/d’s working for Vic Wild and was due the next Gardner 240 when Gardner went on strike.I had been down to the Commercial Motor show some months earlier and had been in conversation with a very keen DAF salesman who asked me if Vic would be interested in looking at a DAF.
I told him that if you had one with a Gardner engine in you might be lucky.However,the lad came up and I saw him on his hands and knees cleaning the chrome bumpers on Vic’s Jag!
Vic was still not impressed and the lad went away empty handed.
Vic was mowing his lawn one Sunday afternoon when he heard a 240 Gardner going past and was livid to see a new ERF in Tideswell’s colours go past.That’s what persuaded him to ring up Gardners on Monday morning and tell them where they could shove their 240 engines!
The next phone call was to the DAF salesman,who got an order for three DAF 2600’s,and as I was next in line for a new motor,I had the first one.
Vic stated that not many o/d’s made a go of it.
Vic did not want a man to be more successful than himself,and insisted that all work went through his office,no wonder,we were being screwed!Any work supplied through the Wild Group cost you up to 50% of the real price of the load,and if you got your own work,there was still a hefty chunk taken out.
When I had the DAF,I managed to get onto the books of ECC,(English China Clay),based in St.Austell,who had some very good work,all palletised,and at very good direct rates.
When I told them all payments to me must through the Wild Group office I was told that as I was the haulier they would only pay me direct.
Vic was livid,and insisted that all work came through his office and I pay up or park up,so I parked the DAF in the middle of his yard and told him to stick it!
That’s why not many of his o/d’s made it,he wanted the driver to have all the hastle of running the truck,while he took the rental and a rather large percentage of your earnings.
But that’s 40,nearly 50 years ago,times were different and it’s now nall part of history and one can look back with a little nostalgia and remember how it really was.

Hiya …i got the book read it in a day …i did find it quite good but most of the information i knew
(Knowall) from just been in the stoke area for years and so much info on TN…i did think maybe more
companyies could have been mentioned as drivers are still here to tell the tail…bassetts JL Cooper
harrisons /milton Harrisons/bucknell…jack critchlow… shirleys… moorlock we had a little add on with
phil working for them… moorcap… carr and hodge…b&s and now you’ll say i missed neil and timmis
or somthing daft…I did see on page 17 the famous gardner 240 powered HTS passanger door that no
one can find a photo of …(well done Ros) but generally a good book…Now Ian Taylor you know what
Mr scarlet looks like.
John

3300John:
Hiya …i got the book read it in a day …i did find it quite good but most of the information i knew
(Knowall) from just been in the stoke area for years and so much info on TN…i did think maybe more
companyies could have been mentioned as drivers are still here to tell the tail…bassetts JL Cooper
harrisons /milton Harrisons/bucknell…jack critchlow… shirleys… moorlock we had a little add on with
phil working for them… moorcap… carr and hodge…b&s and now you’ll say i missed neil and timmis
or somthing daft…I did see on page 17 the famous gardner 240 powered HTS passanger door that no
one can find a photo of …(well done Ros) but generally a good book…Now Ian Taylor you know what
Mr scarlet looks like.
John

Although I don’t know how old those pics of Mr.Scarlett are,I have a feeling I may have seen the man in passing,I must make the effort!

Had a phone call from Ros Unwin today,she’s writing a follow up,so there should be some more firms mentioned.