Need info on old Commer

Help after watching Wheelnuts posting of traffic in Gloucester, my nephew in th,e US has cleaned one part of it up, right at the end an empty BRS Commer with Rootes Group on the headboard could be my Dad but I don’t recognise the reg no…XUC14 would like to know when, where and to who it was registered, if thats possible. thanks.

A question for DVLA,at a price.

There is a site thats free, but I can’t remember the web address.

dieseldog6:

Is this the site your after dieseldog6 :question:

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor … le+Enquiry

dieseldog6:

Is this the site your after dieseldog6 :question:

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor … le+Enquiry

this would have been registered in London prior to 1963

it was first registered in central london between 1932 and 1952, it that helps

Nianiamh thanks for that I will check it out.

biggusdickusgb, it would have to have been after 1959 as they didn’t have transporters before that and all trucks were bought new.

dieseldog6:
Nianiamh thanks for that I will check it out.

biggusdickusgb, it would have to have been after 1959 as they didn’t have transporters before that and all trucks were bought new.

no problem dieseldog, the info i have is 1932 to 1952 is three letters then numbers, these changed around 1952 to numbers then letters.
having said that i’ve seen three letters/three numbers on lorrys from the late fifties as well,
i’ve even seen a 1964 lorry on three letters/three numbers and thats a year after ■■■111a came in.

don’t know if this helps you any but just been told that although the reg change was in 1952 ie, abc123 to 123abc, it wasn’t like these days when everything changes straight away.
the local authorities continued with the old system until the numbers ran out and then changed over.
some authorities were still on abc123 when the “modern” system came in, ie, abc123a in 1963.
so it could be a '59 reg if central london hadn’t used all the numbers up by the time it was registered.

Biggus… thanks for that, that could explain it.

Yeah that’s about right. I seem to remember some authorities didn’t use “A” at all, (they lasted for a year then,) their first use of the new system being on the “B” in '64.