Really, really old lorries

The Bowker motor is a Dennis
Ha ha !! you already knew that , me and my mouth eh ?

you been trawling through the ancient threads today gardnersmoke! :slight_smile:

So, at long last I have got my hands on these family heirlooms.
Some of these lorries we can identify, some we can’t , so all input gratefully received.
What I do know is that they were all registered locally ( to us) JW, FD NX and DA were Wolverhampton plates, and the UJ was Salop (shrewsbury) registered.

I believe this one is a Bedford, model and year unknown

I have no ideas about the following pictures

Could these be Commers?

This Leyland was originally built for export, but my grandfather bought it brand new. The sun visor and the twin fuel tanks (one on each side) were not fitted for the uk market. Apparently it went like a train.

More to follow later…

Kate:
I have no ideas about the following pictures
Could these be Commers?

Hi Kate, nice set of pictures :slight_smile: GNX830 is a Commer - possibly Ex military, the next picture is an Ex Military Austin and next to it is a Maudslay (looks like a Mogul 4 wheeler) but not sure about the 3rd one could be a Bedford or a Chevrolet :confused: and yes they are Commers except for NDA318 which is a Dennis :wink: Hope this is of some help to you.

the 1st one is pre 1932, the others are between '32 to '63
i know, i’m sad :laughing:

NX i believe is a Coventry number.

Hello there. My forte as I did my apprenticeship on Commers. Most of these appear to be Commer Q4s (details below). Commer Q4s were supplied with a rather thirsty but powerful 28HP side valve engine and 4 speed Commer gearbox but a lot of operators converted them to diesel poer as appears to have happened with FFD 163. Some of the others may have been so trated but not display the Perkins badge. DUX 879 appears to be a ex WD Austin - again with a 28HP engine but this time it would have been OHV. A lot of these were supplies as 3 axle gun carriers. Indeed, the Maudlay appears to be a Mogul, which wod probably have been a 4 wheeler.Commer GNX830 was quite possibly ex military as, apart from the obvious front wheels, it has smaller headlamps. NDA 318 is a Dennis - possibly a Pax. Hope that this is a help.

Thank you for your input, it’s been a great help.
There’s a few more photos which I’ll post up soon, although they’re not as old as these, or the others on the ‘More really old lorries’ thread.