Need a bit of help

hi im thinkin of goin for my hgv licence and im just wondering if i have had a driving ban for drink driving in a car would this stop me getting a job

also if i wanted to get my C&E will i have to do class C aswell?

Most employers wouldnt take a driver with that on his licence I am afraid.

Yes you need a C before you can go for C+E

short answer before the holier than thou brigade get on,

more than likely

and yes

hope this helps.

thnks a lot tht helps. i geuss im best savin my money

My firm won’t take it even if it’s old (over 11 years) best get rid of it off your license as soon as it’s possible.

i was only just over the limit im geussing tht will not matter?

i have also been on the drink awarness course will any of this matter as i need a change of job?

andyc10:

i have also been on the drink awarness course will any of this matter as i need a change of job?

correct

and no

my boss had too let a very good evpercianced driver go a couple years ago because he got caught d/d. the insurance company wouldnt insure him at all

Well as a ray of hope, a class C driver at my place was done for DD age 18. He’s in his mid 40s now, & only passed his Class C a couple of years ago, but still got a job at our place.

To be fair he leaned his lesson & never goes near booze if he driving the next day.

im 21 and iv only just finished my ban. i finkin im gonna b waitin for a long time. might aswell forget it thnx for all ur help

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome andyc10 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
In case you do go for it as an investment for the future…
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Most agencies won`t have anyone on their books with a DR conviction, or with a spent 1 on their licence. As very few firms will entertain any driver, agency or other, with a DR conviction on their licence.
While working on the traffic desk dispatching, I had to check every agy drivers licence daily for points, convictions etc. Anyone with more than 6pts, or a DR conviction got turned away, irrespective of how busy we where

if you can afford to take the lessons just do it
if you want the licence to say your got it
just fill in the forms and go for it

its a good if not expensive driving lesson but you will see things
on the road in a different light

and in due time it could lead to some work
i say do it or at least try if Traffic commissioners say you
can have a licence give it a shot

thanks hitch im gonna have a think about it n see what happens thanks for all ur help

A lad I did my HGV training with had a DD on his license, he passed before me and now works for a big transport company!!!
Another lad I used to work with, he got done for DD and the company kept him on and he was still on the company insurance including HGVs after serving his 12 month ban!!
Another thing to note Insurance companys will insurance just about anyone, its whether the company will stump up the premium asked!!

Slightly off topic, but;

I know of companies who will take a driver with a DD (not an newbie though), but only if the drivers themselves are willing to pay the extra to the insurance premium over what a standard policy would cost. fair enough to me, they got the DD, you can hardly expect a firm to have to pay a premium price as a result of employing you. The system worked pretty well and all were happy. Might not even be legal to ask, but I thought it showed a bit of acceptance from the gaffer and a sense of fair play from the driver.

A DD is dangerous driving though and is not considered as bad as a DR for drink driving, both can often prevent an employer from insuring you but often it’s only DR that will prevent you not a DD, but that is irrelevant as the original poster has a DR. If you’re 21 and only just finished your ban i’d be suprised if the traffic commissioner even allows you to have a provisional LGV licence issued, I had a 4 year old speeding offence on my licence and was written to when I applied for mine although it was granted it’s quite different to a freshly finished ban for DR.

andyc10:

Ask yourself one question and be honest with yourself…

Would you employ a former drink driver (even just over the limit or not, you were over the limit) to drive a Artic carrying up to 44tonnes, with your companies reputation plastered all over it :question:

I am sorry to say I personally would not, I have done my wrongs but this in a drivers world would seem to me to be the ultimate Sin.

Hope that helps and good luck but maybe do some speculative phone calls before you waste a lot of money getting C+E then being unable to use the ■■■■ thing…

Kiowan:
A DD is dangerous driving though and is not considered as bad as a DR for drink driving, both can often prevent an employer from insuring you but often it’s only DR that will prevent you not a DD, but that is irrelevant as the original poster has a DR. If you’re 21 and only just finished your ban i’d be suprised if the traffic commissioner even allows you to have a provisional LGV licence issued, I had a 4 year old speeding offence on my licence and was written to when I applied for mine although it was granted it’s quite different to a freshly finished ban for DR.

Sorry, I meant DR.