National Security - Some good news for a change...!

In the wake of all the goings-on in London recently, we would be forgiven for wondering what would happen if one of Britain’s major trunk routes was hit, and whether anything is being done to prevent that from happening… :open_mouth:

Well, the good news is this: I was out in the car earlier on today taking some photos of various parts of the A1 (Please, don’t ask… :unamused: ). After spending a good couple of hours stopping in slightly dodgy places (like the hard shoulder), taking digital and regular photos, then driving on again, I parked up right on Scotch Corner roundabout for the final batch. About 30 seconds later a Highways Agency Incident Support unit pulled up behind the car and a slightly sheepish looking bloke got out…

…Turns out his gaffer had seen me doing my thing and sent him to discretely check me out, just in case I’d been planning to blow the bridge up! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

All jokes aside (and I have no doubt I am about to be the ■■■■ of some… :blush: ), it’s nice to know that someone’s keeping an eye…:grimacing:

Lucy:
In the wake of all the goings-on in London recently, we would be forgiven for wondering what would happen if one of Britain’s major trunk routes was hit, and whether anything is being done to prevent that from happening… :open_mouth:

Well, the good news is this: I was out in the car earlier on today taking some photos of various parts of the A1 (Please, don’t ask… :unamused: ). After spending a good couple of hours stopping in slightly dodgy places (like the hard shoulder), taking digital and regular photos, then driving on again, I parked up right on Scotch Corner roundabout for the final batch. About 30 seconds later a Highways Agency Incident Support unit pulled up behind the car and a slightly sheepish looking bloke got out…

…Turns out his gaffer had seen me doing my thing and sent him to discretely check me out, just in case I’d been planning to blow the bridge up! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

All jokes aside (and I have no doubt I am about to be the ■■■■ of some… :blush: ), it’s nice to know that someone’s keeping an eye…:grimacing:

Well. I’ve heard it all now. :unamused:

You may joke, and although I’ve never found out all the details, I believe that some years ago a ‘device’ was found underneath the elevated section of the Motorway at a certain junction.

If you know where to look, you can nowadays see cameras installed that are there purely to monitor the support columns. (And anyone messing about with them) :stuck_out_tongue:

And them raving mad Irish blew part of the Gravelly Hill interchange up. :open_mouth:

I saw our finest UK security forces in action yesterday, at the channel tunnel, I was searched, x rayed, searched again and then had to answer a lot of reasonable questions. unfortunately this was at a time that some other loonies were trying to blow London up again.

Wheel Nut:
And them raving mad Irish blew part of the Gravelly Hill interchange up. :open_mouth:

When was that?

If they blew the dartford bridge we would be in utter chaos for years, imagine all that traffic having to go round the other way :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

london is pure publicity. if they wanted to do some serious damage, they’d do:

QE2 Bridge, Severn Bridges, Clapham Junction, Thelwall Viaduct, M62 reservoir crossing bridge, Tinsley Viaduct, M1/M25 junction, M1/M4 junction, ports of Dover, Hull, Harwich, Felixstowe and Southampton, Channel Tunnel…

A few well placed bombs, and specifically “dirty” bombs meaning the area itsel would be unusable for a decade and bobs yer mothers brother. make Britain come to its knees for months that would.

Please don’t under estimate these loonies,speaking from experiance and the devastation off what a bomb can do and the damage it leave’s behind.It still leaves a nasty taste of hate in my mouth to this date after 17 years down the line.What has happened over the past few week’s is only a sample,i firmly believe something big is on the card’s.just my feeling’s. :wink:

Lucy:

Do you take a pad and pen then write down the numbers on the bridges too? :laughing:

mrpj:

Wheel Nut:

When was that?

republican-news.org/archive/1997 … 01war.html

Anyone remember the TV prog that delgt with a worst case scenario on the mway network? Can’t remember what it was called, but it had Sally Traffic on it :smiley:. Showed what could be done with not much effort.

Wheel Nut:

I beg to differ on that one.

That was a case of a driver of a petrol tanker on the Tyburn Road who, sadly, (it is believed) suffered a heart attack and ploughed into the stantions.

Wheel Nut:
AN PHOBLACHT/REPUBLICAN NEWS

I’d completely forgotten about that; in fact I only have a very faint recollection of it. And I was only living about 100m from the A38(M) at the time.

Shows what real long-term impact it had…

Krankee:
That was a case of a driver of a petrol tanker on the Tyburn Road who, sadly, (it is believed) suffered a heart attack and ploughed into the stantions.

Never heard about that one. I did notice when I lived there that there are a number of places where it looks like slip roads have been removed. Is that what happened?

I remember the M6 being closed and all the disruption that occured in 1997, but I don’t remember the explosions and subsequent damage although other news reports claim that they were carried out by the authorites on suspect packages and not actual bombs.

the thing with all the above is that, you do not even need to explode a bomb every time, just a phone call from some terrorist organisation is enough to cause massive disruption, whether it was a bomb on spaghetti junction exploding or whether it was a suspect package that the bomb disposal blew up, it had the same benefit to the IRA.

Just the same as a few circumcised loonies carrying rucksacks in London will for years to come :open_mouth:

QE2 Bridge, Severn Bridges, Clapham Junction, Thelwall Viaduct, M62 reservoir crossing bridge, Tinsley Viaduct, M1/M25 junction, M1/M4 junction, ports of Dover, Hull, Harwich, Felixstowe and Southampton, Channel Tunnel…

Hitler tried that one, and you probably would not be able to tell the difference :stuck_out_tongue:

Pervert, so after having used poor Rikki and getting your evil way, you have discarded him and now roads do it for you, :smiley: Good girl a real driver at heart .

But good to know you were being watched, ■■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: