New M1 cameras, got flashed

I had a car cut in front today, before a new camera that judges your distance, seen a flash in the mirror, i was doing around 55mph on cruise control, no time to drop back a bit without braking.

Anyone know what the score is with this? Am i looking at a fine for a numpty car driver now?

Cheers all

I’ve been…

Flashed twice now on the M1. The one before Luton Airport southbound flashed me whilst doing 55 in traffic and a northbound one between J16 and Watford Gap services. I was on my own with nothing around me when that one went off. That was last year and nothing has come though my letterbox.

Maybe it’s my natural charm in front of cameras that does it?

They aren’t enforcing it with fines currently just warning letters. According to the [fb]-show that is Highways England management, its to encourage people to change behaviour.

Suspect the real reason is the moment someone takes this to court, it’ll fall apart as theres no video evidence proving that the person was tailgating and not being cutup etc. Or someone proves innocence with a dashcam.

Expect this one to quietly vanish and be forgotten.

Whilst I don’t agree with tailgating, this is going to make drivers paranoid if this gets rolled out nationally (and prosecutions) and leave much larger than a 2 sec gap therefore reducing the capacity of already overcrowded motorway capacities.

They bang on about education is better to change driver behaviour but these days its simple to use a camera to enforce people to do x y or z.

Give it 10 years and we will be Like China where your driving is monitored all the time on motorways every few hundred yards including pictures of every person driving every vehicle.

Motorways were designed to get you from A to B quickly, but speeds will creep down and down and congestion only get worse. This will in turn make people use A and B roads more as time savings using Motorways will be eroded, this causing more congestion on those roads and higher road casualties on those roads IMHO.

Either way “we’re all doomed” in the long run. So we may as well embrace the idea of autonomous driving vehicles and just be a passenger at a leisurely pace whilst the vehicle makes sure you can’t speed or tailgate etc.

Maybe autonomous driving is the way forward, especially as lots won’t even née to own a vehicle by then.

Cheers for the replies [emoji106]

MikeDBristol:
I had a car cut in front today, before a new camera that judges your distance, seen a flash in the mirror, i was doing around 55mph on cruise control, no time to drop back a bit without braking.

Anyone know what the score is with this? Am i looking at a fine for a numpty car driver now?

Cheers all

Had a letter through regarding one of our drivers where they claim he was travelling too close to the vehicle in front.
It wasn’t a fine or anything, just a gypsy’s warning saying if it happens again etc etc.
Looked at the drivers camera as he was unhappy about the letter, and it turned out some ■■■■ cut in front of him in a car right in front of the camera, obviously we have kept the footage just in case it goes any further.