Good news, A1 Scotch Corner

So on the way back from Lockerbie, bored sat at a red light I asked one of the luminous green clad men removing cones how it was getting on. Apparently tonight is the last night for the motorway but he’s unsure how much longer the work on the roundabout itself is going on.

It was also interesting doing the diversion last night through Catterick on the way up, no massive queue at the Scotch Corner roundabout because someone finally worked out that if you turn off the traffic lights the traffic flows better. Shame it took them until it was almost finished to work that out.

About ■■■■■■■ time

Amazing how they get away with hanging the job out so they can make themselves look good by saying " look, we got it opened just in time for the Easter holidays" whereas they probably could have got it open 3 weeks ago but that wouldnt make the local news

If that’s the case they’re looking effin brilliant, it should have opened in spring 2017! Only 12 months late.

The works have been delayed a couple of times … once due to the finding more Roman remains, so these had to be “examined” … also, where they have widened the river bridge, they have had problems stabilising the embankment.
Still agree, they have been messing about for months and yet seem to have done very little extra “work”.
Agree with those stupid T/lights on the Scotch Corner R/about … was brilliant the other W/end as they had “failed” :laughing:

The lights were pointless before and they are pointless now! Same as the ones at Penrith.

Driving home on Friday pm from Colchester to Elgin and will be glad the last bit of the A1 is now free of the 50mph limit, was a right pain in the arris …

Can confirm they’ve definitely gone on the A1M. Still a lot to do on the roundabout though.

They built the Forth Road Bridge quicker than that stretch of road!!![emoji848][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Built the m62 Leeds to Manchester quicker than it’s taking them to turn the m62/m60 into smart motorway. Wbich is only running about 18 months late and counting .And when you think in them days wasn’t all.the machinery and stuff like now was just hard manual work .

edd1974:
Built the m62 Leeds to Manchester quicker than it’s taking them to turn the m62/m60 into smart motorway. Wbich is only running about 18 months late and counting .And when you think in them days wasn’t all.the machinery and stuff like now was just hard manual work .

And none of the H/S Bs or the like of Carillion etc to make job go pear shaped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get it done but now start a few weeks job between 57 and 60 on the A1, southbound diversion for that one is easy but takes you round the houses a bit or should i say out into nowhere.

I went to Scotland and back Thursday/Friday. Scotch Corner is open, and all the roadworks have gone on the A1 in that area.

Has any-one else heard the rumour that now they have finished the A1, they are going to start to “dual” more of the A66 from Scotch Corner toward Barnard Castle.
I got told they were going to use the site office that was at Scotch Corner … but this has been gone for a while … I can’t see them using the site at Leeming Bar ( on the Local Access Road towards Catterick, as it is too far from A66.

I passed scotch corner recently enroute to Barnard castle, and while approaching the roundabout on the return journey looked to my left and wondered wether the patch of grassland just off the NW corner of the roundabout between where the butty van used to be and the A1 would be suitable as a truck park

peirre:
I passed scotch corner recently enroute to Barnard castle, and while approaching the roundabout on the return journey looked to my left and wondered wether the patch of grassland just off the NW corner of the roundabout between where the butty van used to be and the A1 would be suitable as a truck park

Why? Bartons only 2 miles away

Been staying at Scotch Corner since Friday and work on the island and the approach from Catterick village (via the old A1) and Richmond isn’t finished yet as there is still only a single lane open. The only work on the main A1 itself seemed to be between Barton and SC as there were barriers inplace and lanes closed but I think work has been suspended over the Bank Holiday?

Pete.