name one thing

bowserman:
Secure cheap truckstops with nice clean facilities would be a good one to start.

I was gonna go for that one :imp: , plenty of them as well :grimacing:

Oh and anyone that canā€™t be arsed walking 100yards to use the facilities has to lick it all up again :grimacing:

Resignā€¦

make every town and city provide X number of parking places per number of residents

Show at least some respect to the road transport sector and understand that itā€™s road haulage that keeps the Country running, and adding cost to it doesnā€™t put freight in rails but onto Foreign trucks.

Looking at some of the replies in this topicā€¦
mebbe. Teach drivers how to count :laughing:
(no offense intended)

muckles:
Show at least some respect to the road transport sector and understand that itā€™s road haulage that keeps the Country running, and adding cost to it doesnā€™t put freight in rails but onto Foreign trucks.

Thatā€™s ok because Iā€™d rather see it go by foreign road transport than either foreign or British rail or air transport.And in reply to Renaultman I can count so Iā€™ve decided to add another Ā£1 per gallon on top of that Ā£5.00 that Iā€™ve already charged them on train diesel and air fuel and theyā€™ve got to pay over Ā£1000 per year tax up front per 25 tonne load they carry wether they carry it or not.

Ban lorries from londonā€¦end ofā€¦

scotty1972:
Ban lorries from londonā€¦end ofā€¦

Just ban London and bulldoze it and turn it back into green fields or at least the parts of Surrey which theyā€™ve taken over the years for their housing and putting the M25 through.Then turn the North Circular into a 10 lane highway with no speed limit on lanes 3,4,5 in each direction.

jammymutt:
Firstly make some nice clean truckstops where dirvers can get a good night sleep thus no tired drivers.#

Build large distribution centres in or near EVERY town WHERE POSSIBLE so small loads can be left there and taken in to the town by a smaller vehicle with a local driver, thus rhather than 6 wagons delivering 6 pallets to one town just one lorry delivering 6 pallets.

Knock down all the multinational RDC or turn them into truckstops, the remaining ones are on a first come first served basis with no booking times, demurrage paid after 90 minutes.

Local farmers to supply local markets,

Haulage done on merit and not on price, ok that is more than one thing :laughing:

truck only motorways and roads and no weight limits ooops thats 3 things wellllll,

globby 480:
truck only motorways and roads and no weight limits ooops thats 3 things wellllll,

Just rip up the railways and thereā€™s your truck only motorways sorted.

globby 480:

Just rip up the railways and thereā€™s your truck only motorways sorted.

globby 480:

Donā€™t worry globby, there are three kinds of people, them that count & them that cant :laughing:

BTW as an O/D why would you want no weight limits? You know the rate wouldnā€™t go up accordingly, like it didnt from 32-38, 38-40/41 & to 44 :frowning:

im ilterat oi cnt count (would have done something to word count but for word sensor lol)

1. Better and cheaper parking facilitiesā€¦

Maximum charge of Ā£5 to park on MSAs or truckstops. (Ā£22 on some MSAs is just a rip off!)

All councils to provide parking facilities.(Some already do provide good facilities, eg Newark, Inverness, even Leominster)
Ideal places would be little used cattle markets.(Brand new one at Shrewsbury but no parking except for cattle trucks on market days) Have to wait and see if the new one at Welshpool will be open at night for parking,its got enough spaces marked out!
Also Park and Ride areas between 6pm and 8am when they are empty.

The parking doesnt have to be in the centre of town just clean with toilets as a minimum.

1. Trial of double trailer rigs between certain areas and on designated routes.
    egā€¦ marshalling areas outside major cities on motorway network. doubles only allowed on motorways. some hauliers have already offered to stage trials but so far its fell on deaf ears.

2. Clean up of tacho rulesā€¦
    egā€¦ max 10 hour driving over a 15 hour day
    minimum 10 hour rest between shifts
    minimum 1 hour break after max 5 hours driving
    minimum 36 hour weekly break
    Thats all the rules you need

3. Certain single cariageway A roads to trial a higher speed limit of 50 mphā€¦the A9 north of Perth to Inverness would be an ideal start, very little urban areas and wide road for most of its length.

4. permanently signposted diversion routes from all motorway junctions to avoid closures. This is done in Germany (Umleitung routes I think, Britpete can u confirm?). In the event of a closure matrix boards advise following a certain route number (eg U235) signs that bring you back onto the motorway at the next junction.

5. Better signposting
    egā€¦industrial estates could have maps or company signs at entrance (as in Italy)
    better positioning of signs so they are easier to read and do not get in the way at junctions.

Thats it for now but i resserve the right to post again if i think of anything else :smiley:

Make weekend park-up mandatory in UK.

No trucks to run on UK roads after 2pm Sat` untill midnight sunday.

That way , the driver gets to at least have a family/social life/proper weekend rest period.

Ditto what Neville and Trux have said plus from an O/Dā€™s point of view do some sort of police check on Freight Forwarders!

Weā€™re British - and we travel ā€˜milesā€™ ā€¦so sack the km.

trux:
ā€˜ā€¦No trucks to run on UK roads after 2pm Sat until midnight Sundayā€¦ā€™

Aaargh ā€¦and dump me in the domain of the chavhead Saturday Sky-fest, High Street shopping-fest and crap-telly-fest ā€¦cheers,mateā€¦!

toowise:
5. permanently signposted diversion routes from all motorway junctions to avoid closures. This is done in Germany (Umleitung routes I think, Britpete can u confirm?). In the event of a closure matrix boards advise following a certain route number (eg U235) signs that bring you back onto the motorway at the next junction.
Thats it for now but i resserve the right to post again if i think of anything else :smiley:

Bit old, but itā€™s being worked on,

highways.gov.uk/business/14015.aspx Look near the bottom.

Also on some junctions look at the 200M marker board, ready to be flipped open with the route to follow, like i say itā€™s a slow rollout because itā€™s civil service :unamused:

Someone stuck a piccy of the ā€œnewā€ signs on the office wall this week if i find out how to do :blush: it iā€™ll post it

Oh and most of the office wallahā€™s are car drivers, so be prepared :open_mouth: .

Personally i would have thought a Blue N,S,E,W with motorway number would suffice along the route but we forget most people donā€™t know where they are, how they got there or where there going :grimacing: