Minimum wage

Anybody else heard the stories coming from the Labour party conference. There. Talking about possibly raising the minimum wage to £15 hr . If elected
Not sure what that will achieve apart from higher prices…but if they do I’d work in supermarket instead of driving a truck for £15 gr

They’ve been watching how the democrats ended up in power in the USA.
Notice i didn’t say won the election.

Talking heads doing what talking heads do; talk.

As per with Labour lots of grand schemes and impressive sondbites with zero comprehension as to who actually pays for these schemes.

Vote for me, I’ll raise it to £50 per hour

ETS:

£55 and we can go in coalition
Labour not saying how their dreams are going to be paid for apart from the Mc Donnell / Corbyn way of borrow borrow and if that does not work borrow some more.
Not forgetting higher taxes, like Starmers idea of tax private education to pay for improving state education.

Wouldn’t a better policy be to improve employment opportunities through training? Inspire people to do better.

LazyDriver:
Wouldn’t a better policy be to improve employment opportunities through training? Inspire people to do better.

Ok. How about a job that people would want to do?
Where you’re handed the keys to a truck, given a set of notes, and let go…
Maybe asked to drive as economically as you can, but not criticised for every gear change of whatever.
Why are we trusted with 44tons, and half a million quid of load, but not with a gearstick and a gallon of diesel?
Given a schelude but trusted to alter it as necessary.

Franglais:

LazyDriver:

Ok. How about a job that people would want to do?
Where you’re handed the keys to a truck, given a set of notes, and let go…
Maybe asked to drive as economically as you can, but not criticised for every gear change of whatever.
Why are we trusted with 44tons, and half a million quid of load, but not with a gearstick and a gallon of diesel?
Given a schelude but trusted to alter it as necessary.

You’re so 20th Century!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Juddian:

Bribery was only the plan B if they couldn’t get enough dead people to vote and the dominion machines failed.

The useful idiots don’t have the intelligence to realise that it will be worthless without redundancy payments based on remaining working life x £15 per hour.
Self employment made illegal and an agreed limit on the amount of work expected to be completed in an hour.
So make 2/3 of the workforce redundant 3x the workload for the those remaining.Bonus points if they can be put on self employed contracts below minimum wage.

lolipop:

ETS:

£55 and we can go in coalition
Labour not saying how their dreams are going to be paid for apart from the Mc Donnell / Corbyn way of borrow borrow and if that does not work borrow some more.
Not forgetting higher taxes, like Starmers idea of tax private education to pay for improving state education.

You sure about that? My understanding is he wants to remove the charitable status of private schools. Given that the bulk of these schools clients are the wealthier members of society it seems odd to me that fees are subsidised by the tax breaks gained by charitable status.

£15 per hour shows their desperation to get into power. Never forget who flooded us with EU workers that ruined our wages after 2004… Tony ■■■■ Blair…

Juddian:

Yeah the democrats won a landslide in the state votes, a landslide in the popular vote, won the senate and the house but…they lost the election.

Ever wondered why trump called fraud only in the states he lost?

JeffA:

Juddian:

Yeah the democrats won a landslide in the state votes, a landslide in the popular vote, won the senate and the house but…they lost the election.

Anyone can win a landslide by counting dead voters and all the Communists around the world sending votes in by the internet version of a fax machine.More like more votes counted in every state that Bideng won than they had eligible voters.

JeffA:

Juddian:

Who can forget the Trump supporters, in one state apoplectic screaming to stop counting votes, and in another state screaming apoplectic to count more votes… :laughing: .

Oh, and dont forget, labour won the last election. Well, according to Corbyn they did. Not on votes, but on message… :grimacing:

It actually could be a masterstroke…£15 ph minimum wage means an end to a lot of top up benefits saving billions in taxpayer cash. Actually getting the employer to pay a proper wage rather than peanuts and letting HMG top up the rest.
Also lets not forget it will also bring a raise of the tax revenue, so more income to be had .
It not as mad as you think.

msgyorkie:
It actually could be a masterstroke…£15 ph minimum wage means an end to a lot of top up benefits saving billions in taxpayer cash.

This. It would basically end the government subsidising low wages through tax credits and universal credit, it would literally only be those who could work part time who’d still qualify for some.

Conor:

msgyorkie:
It actually could be a masterstroke…£15 ph minimum wage means an end to a lot of top up benefits saving billions in taxpayer cash.

This. It would basically end the government subsidising low wages through tax credits and universal credit, it would literally only be those who could work part time who’d still qualify for some.

Always been ridiculous that multi million £ companies can subsidise their wages with government handouts while posting multi million £ profits so if Labour were to bring this in they would only be correcting their previous mistake.

Labour can promise bigger pint glasses and all of the rest of it, they know that they will not have to deliver as they wont be in Government again.

msgyorkie:
It actually could be a masterstroke…£15 ph minimum wage means an end to a lot of top up benefits saving billions in taxpayer cash. Actually getting the employer to pay a proper wage rather than peanuts and letting HMG top up the rest.
Also lets not forget it will also bring a raise of the tax revenue, so more income to be had .
It not as mad as you think.

The issue being a lot of small firms can not afford to pay their employees £15 an hour.
Small retail shops, pubs etc.
A lot of these places run on very tight profit margins.
For example £15 an hour at 40 hours a week is 31k a year. When my dad ran a canteen he didnt make anywhere near that in profit and he had an employee.

edd1974:
Anybody else heard the stories coming from the Labour party conference. There. Talking about possibly raising the minimum wage to £15 hr . If elected
Not sure what that will achieve apart from higher prices…but if they do I’d work in supermarket instead of driving a truck for £15 gr

The powers that be want the poor spending all their income and not saving. Inflating to this level would be okay if the powers that be thought people would spend all their income.

Also, there is no magic money tree, save for quantitative easing.