Wages

I’m not sure where to post this so feel free to move it. Without telling tall tales, can you folks tell me how much is a decent wage for an average of 48 hours on over six month spread with no nights out please. The reason I ask is, I work for Royal Mail and I think the union is shafting us. I’ve never worked for a more considerate employer and this seems to be born out by the amount of subbies who want to work for them after filling in during the strikes. I am a union member, but not for long is this carries on. THANKS.

From £5.80 per hour (minimum wage) with no upper limit

Each company sets it’s own rates depending on the market conditions in their area.

We can all say what we think a particular job should be worth but that will not have a bearing on the reality of what is actually paid.

I’ve always said that there should be a minimum rate for each type of licence catagory vehicle driven but then I am allowed to dream :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I was just wondering what an average wage in the real world was these days for 48 hours with no P.O.A? We don’t use it. I know that’s unusual in transport but I Feel as if the drivers are being used. we’re the vunerable part when it comes to farming out work and the indoor staff really don’t give a [zb] about us. I’ve worked in transport for 20 years and I know I have one of the best jobs in the country. I would like to approach the union with some hard facts as they seen to think we’re hard done by.

Please help me out here, all I want to do is put a point across.

wibble:
Please help me out here, all I want to do is put a point across.

You can only make this point if there is something solid to base it against and there is not for the reasons I put in my first post.

my terms and conditions are the best i’ve ever had, i earn between 32,000 and 35,000 a year with no nights out. all i want to do is show the the union that we have it better than most!

I wonder if the National office of statistics have this sort of info :question:

You could ask on the main Pro Driver Forum if getting between 32,000 and 35,000 a year for say 48 hours a week (no POA) on days doing 5 out of 7 with no nights out is excellent good or bad compared to what they get :bulb: :bulb:

wibble:
my terms and conditions are the best i’ve ever had, i earn between 32,000 and 35,000 a year with no nights out. all i want to do is show the the union that we have it better than most!

Where do I apply?

wibble:

They are at the moment but I’m wondering if you live in a cave because the biggest threat to your terms and conditions comes from that ■■■■ Crozier and his side kicks! The last offer I remember (going back maybe18 months) was an offer from the management to put you lads on a salary of approx. £21,000…better enjoy what you have while it lasts cos when Crozier pivatises you the only ones making money will be the management!

ROG:
I wonder if the National office of statistics have this sort of info :question:

You could ask on the main Pro Driver Forum if getting between 32,000 and 35,000 a year for say 48 hours a week (no POA) on days doing 5 out of 7 with no nights out is excellent good or bad compared to what they get :bulb: :bulb:

I work on the night shift but any way you look at it, we’ve got it easy.

wibble:

Get your union man to do a shift or a week with you then say a shift/week with me. My work is relatively easy, home every 2nd day but do long distance and out every 2nd day. If your on that im on less by £7k-£10k depending. The hardest thing about my job will be either A: Opening the doors on the fridge or B: Swapping trailers.

Id say theres deffo harder jobs outhere which are less paid than mine.

scottishcruiser:

wibble:

Get your union man to do a shift or a week with you then say a shift/week with me. My work is relatively easy, home every 2nd day but do long distance and out every 2nd day. If your on that im on less by £7k-£10k depending. The hardest thing about my job will be either A: Opening the doors on the fridge or B: Swapping trailers.

Id say theres deffo harder jobs outhere which are less paid than mine.

I think the problem is most of them have only worked for the royal mail. They don’t know what it’s like in the real world. When it goes private (which they are speeding up with this strike) they’ll regret this action.

£3200 sounds very good to me.I did some agency at R.M. lots of sitting around doing nothing .If you lose that job you are in for a wake up call in general haulage.I hope that your union and work mates see sense and dont vote themselves out of a job.