My Class 2 training experience

Well have been hanging round Trucknet for a while now and just thought I would share my experience of failing my class 2…

Like many others that are trying to book there lessons I went down the google line to look for training schools and with out knowing any better ended up booking with Easy As HGV.
Easy As farmed me out to IDT based in Corby. A 5 day course with the test on the morning of the 5th day. I cant fault Dean my trainer. He was calm and very patent with me and the other person that was training with us. The trucks were clean and tidy but a complete bag to drive. 11 year old Foden with a clutch that felt like it was going to give way at any point and a second gear that pretty much had to be held in to stop it popping back out, no ABS braking. How ever even with all of this I felt that all my lessons went well and I progressed well until I failed the test on the reversing. OK I failed so I took it on the chin and booked a retest. Retest was booked for a week later arranged the time and place to meet the new trainer ( Dean had now quit IDT ) 6am at the super sausage in Northampton at 6am. I arrived there at 5.30am and waited till 7am with the truck and trainer not showing up. ( I was not a happy chap ). Finally someone picks up the phone in there office at 10.30am and was told there was a communication problem and the trainer and truck was told a diffrent meeting place to me. Well that done it for me I had better things to do than let them have any more of my money or time. Doing a retest ended up getting put on hold for a few months till Christmas was over and done with, money was abit tight and a new baby in the house, well Most of you know what I mean.

After reading so many posts on Trucknet speaking highly of Mike at wiseknight I have now rebooked my retest and another days training. Have talked to Mike a couple of times now on the phone and to me he sounds more professional than IDT and Easy As put together. Test is on the 31st of this month and Mike tells me that failure is NOT an option. So cant say much more till then but will let you know how I get on.

Hi Basil

WELCOME TO THE MAD HOUSE :wink: :wink:

:smiley: Hi Basil, WELCOME. :grimacing:

Sorry to hear your story mate :frowning: , but it looks like you’ve got it sorted now. :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Basil :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pics

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… - I suggest the trainee-to-be visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

Basil:
no ABS braking.

ABS is a requirement for a DSA LGV test.

Basil:
After reading so many posts on Trucknet speaking highly of Mike at wiseknight I have now rebooked my retest and another days training. Have talked to Mike a couple of times now on the phone and to me he sounds more professional than IDT and Easy As put together. Test is on the 31st of this month and Mike tells me that failure is NOT an option. So cant say much more till then but will let you know how I get on.

Mike at Wiseknight - GOOD DECISION :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bet you wish you had found this site a long time ago :wink:

OH - say hello to Mike from me :slight_smile:

Beat me to it Rog.

Thanks Rog have found out since i done my test that IDT have now closed down. Have been informed that this is due to not having any trucks to train in due to the DSA in weedon not letting them use there trucks for tests any more. Was informed this by 2 different training providers around the Northampton area

Basil:
no ABS braking.

ROG:
ABS is a requirement for a DSA LGV test.

Basil:
Have been informed that this is due to not having any trucks to train in due to the DSA in weedon not letting them use there trucks for tests any more.

I’m guessing that is probably due to the ABS issue and it would be very costly to purchase a rigid with ABS and at least 8 forward gear ratios

Message for Basil, very interested to read about no ABS, as Rog said it is a requirement for LGV test class 2 and class 1, to have ABS and eight gears, the law came out in 2007. Did you acually take your test in the wagon with no ABS, because this is normally one of the first things that the examiner checks. I feel so very sorry for people like you who are loosing so much money from these firms, we hear almost every day of people in similar situations :frowning: :frowning:

typical of all these agents.

All they do is go with the cheapest trainer they can find or the one that will give them the biggest discount.

IDT have been closing down and starting up for the last 12 months

hi basil, sorry to hear of the fawlty truck you had, and that is a right kick in the nuts that a company would run vehicles not up to test standard as stated they have to have abs have at least 8 gears and normally be manuel. Hope you have better luck next time round mate its a fair few pennys you have to payout nowadays. From what I’ve heard Wiseknight are a much more cybil company and fingers crossed you’ll pass mate

anyone notice my awful attempts at humour?

garnerlives:
hi basil, sorry to hear of the fawlty truck you had, and that is a right kick in the nuts that a company would run vehicles not up to test standard as stated they have to have abs have at least 8 gears and normally be manuel. Hope you have better luck next time round mate its a fair few pennys you have to payout nowadays. From what I’ve heard Wiseknight are a much more cybil company and fingers crossed you’ll pass mate

anyone notice my awful attempts at humour?

NO - the rest of the post TOWERS above it… :blush: :blush:

Started driving with Mike at wiseknight yesterday.

Booked 2 days driving and then the test. Havnt drove a truck for 3 months and the only truck I had driven was the Fodan I failed in so thort an extra 2 days would be a big help.
Had a lot of nerves when I first got there but turned out that he is a top guy. Spent alot of yesterday laughing at jokes, stories and so on and he made me feel like a friend and not just another pound in the bank like the last trainer. Just from the way he has put me at ease by laughing at my silly mistakes insted of laying down the law on how it should be done has made a great diffrence to my confidence.

So today we are going back down to Northampton to put right the small thngs and then the reversing ALL afternoon, He tells me that failing on reversing again is NOT an option with him. Have my test booked for Saturday morning and now I feel like I WILL pass, with out question.

good luck for tomorrow :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Say hello to Karen at the T-bar for me :smiley:

Hi Basil,

Very sorry to hear about your troubles, :open_mouth: but glad that Wiseknight have put you on the right track. :sunglasses:

Good luck with your test and let us know how you got on. :wink:

Sorry been a while since I have had the time to get on here.

Just to let you all know. I passed my cat C with Mike with only 1 minor. ( 1 driving falt if mike happens to read this. He doesnt like them being called minors)
Im now working doing sameday work up and down the UK. So keep an eye open for a white FM7 Volvo with my Basil number plate in the screen :smiley:

Best part must be driving the same make, model and year truck that I trained in with Mike

:smiley: :smiley:

If you get the opportunity, could you edit the first post you made in this thread and add to the title - TEST PASSED :slight_smile:

Well done mate congratulations, welcome to the one minor club :smiley: who is it you work for?? Any jobs going? :unamused:

Basil:
Easy As farmed me out to IDT based in Corby. A 5 day course with the test on the morning of the 5th day. I cant fault Dean my trainer. He was calm and very patent with me and the other person that was training with us. The trucks were clean and tidy but a complete bag to drive. 11 year old Foden with a clutch that felt like it was going to give way at any point and a second gear that pretty much had to be held in to stop it popping back out.

Haha — This sounds familiar. I have had a similar experience to you, except i ended up booking through Advantage HGV, who sent me to IDT Corby.

I have driven the same truck and it was really bad (clutch was gone, pops out of gear etc), but i complained and ended up with the other Foden, it was much smoother, faster and easier to drive and passed my test in this.

IDT has been taken over by someone and he has bought some new trucks (2 scanias i think).