My Cat C training/test experience

Firstly - hello everyone. Stumbled across this forum through a google search (for sat navs of all things) and have been reading with interest the last few days - I decided to be brave and post a little about my Cat C training and test experience - in case it might be of use/interest to anyone else who might be in a similar situation. Both training companies mentionned are Midlands-based if you want to play guess-who!

I did my category C test about 2 1/2 years ago. Not your typical candidate I suppose, mid twenties blonde haired girly!
I sorted the medical and theory bumph off my own back, its not hard to arrange and if you put the homework in those bits are easy to pass.

First company I approached for intensive training was a big company with a well known name. I was told to arrive for assessment drive, midweek.
On arrival I was met by the cliché of a few boorish middle aged men arguing about who was going to have the short straw of being driven around by a bird…
The assessment consisted of being pointed at a fairly ancient rusted lorry (should note I’d never driven anything bigger than a landrover and told them repeatedly I had NO experience)- no instruction was given, “trainer” sat mostly in silence just telling me where to go around the city centre. After 20 minutes I was pulled up and told “you are no where NEAR test standard, you would have incurred ■■ faults” - well no **** sherlock, that’s why I’m here for training! Was pretty shocked at how unprofessional and potentially dangerous this “training method” was - they then quoted near £2k for me to take a whole week off work to sit in a lorry with two other learners, no doubt hearing more jibes about women drivers… I’m afraid I lost the nice-girl image and told them where to shove it!

Next trainer I was given on personal recommendation from a guy I had done B+E test with — luckily he had a cancellation for a weeks training so could fit me in at short notice. One man band with his own Scania, only did 1-2-1 training and has a near 100% first time pass rate. I met up with him Sunday afternoon, when the roads were quieter, and he would do an assessment.
First up he took me on a drive for around 30 minutes explaining his every thought, reason and action (‘mostly’ to do with the lorry and driving!). We then went to a large empty yard to play around with the gearbox and clutch etc, then a short 30 minute drive around quiet roads. Filled with confidence, I signed up for the training, four hours a day Mon-fri and a test on the Saturday.

I will try not to witter on too long - it was exhausting, but the trainer fantastic, worked perfectly for me. We got on well enough to chat away but I was at times more scared of him than I ever was of the lorry I was driving - ex military I think, very approachable but you wouldn’t want to ■■■■ him off!

Reversing manoever wasn’t an issue for me, growing up on a farm I’ve been backing up tractors and trailers since I could reach the pedals, and more than anything I found getting up to speed in the lorry an issue, I would happily have gone everywhere at 20, forever being told to speed up.
Like everyone else I had good days and a customary mid week meltdown — won’t go into too much detail but have you seen that episode of Fawlty Towers with Basil, the mini and the tree branch? Very nearly….
Lightbulb moment came probably Thursday morning when I drove around a new city centre route in rush hour and for the first time everything seemed to happen on automatic without me having to think every gear change or button push through in minute detail.
Last drive before the test didn’t go atall well, it felt like my first day again, everything was stilted and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing - but I was told a bad dress rehearsal is a good sign!

To add to the stress, on the day before the test on the way home from training I had my handbag stolen, with ■■■■■ and driving licence and counterpart etc. Not what I needed to keep a calm head!! That meant a mad rush to DVLA offices to beg a
replacement, cancelled test, then a last minute call saying there was a cancellation for the Monday afternoon. Nothing like a nice calm preparation!

The test itself went as well as I could have hoped for! I don’t really get nervous but it was a bit off putting sitting in formal silence with a stranger having spent the week nattering away with my trainer. We went on the one test route I hadn’t practiced, and about 10 minutes in found myself accidentally in the wrong lane on a very busy junction. I broke the silence by having a foul mouthed rant (I’m sure I’ve got Tourettes at times like that, I completely lose the nice girl image!) — anyway once I’d got a dozen or so expletives out I looked at the examiner, who looked at me, we both burst out laughing and from then on I actually enjoyed the drive! Maybe the examiner was too shocked from my outburst — but managed to pass with just two minors.

My overall advice to others starting their training would be to shop around for a trainer who suits you — I will happily recommend mine to anyone, I still hear his voice in my head when I’m driving now, not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing… but I understand that what works for one person might not for everyone. Ask questions (there is no such thing as a stupid question, I’m sure they’ve heard them all before!) and if you want to practice something a dozen times, make sure you do.
And don’t let anyone give you **** about women drivers!

:open_mouth: Over 2 years ago and you can remember everything … Oh got it :exclamation: - you are female so that explains it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, WELCOME :smiley: and well done on passing :grimacing:

Just goes to show how important assessments can be

Good read :slight_smile: Welcome to the forums, hope you stick around.

ThreeEightFour:
Firstly - hello everyone. Stumbled across this forum through a google search (for sat navs of all things) and have been reading with interest the last few days - I decided to be brave and post a little about my Cat C training and test experience - in case it might be of use/interest to anyone else who might be in a similar situation. Both training companies mentionned are Midlands-based if you want to play guess-who!

I did my category C test about 2 1/2 years ago. Not your typical candidate I suppose, mid twenties blonde haired girly!
I sorted the medical and theory bumph off my own back, its not hard to arrange and if you put the homework in those bits are easy to pass.

First company I approached for intensive training was a big company with a well known name. I was told to arrive for assessment drive, midweek.
On arrival I was met by the cliché of a few boorish middle aged men arguing about who was going to have the short straw of being driven around by a bird…
The assessment consisted of being pointed at a fairly ancient rusted lorry (should note I’d never driven anything bigger than a landrover and told them repeatedly I had NO experience)- no instruction was given, “trainer” sat mostly in silence just telling me where to go around the city centre. After 20 minutes I was pulled up and told “you are no where NEAR test standard, you would have incurred ■■ faults” - well no **** sherlock, that’s why I’m here for training! Was pretty shocked at how unprofessional and potentially dangerous this “training method” was - they then quoted near £2k for me to take a whole week off work to sit in a lorry with two other learners, no doubt hearing more jibes about women drivers… I’m afraid I lost the nice-girl image and told them where to shove it!

Next trainer I was given on personal recommendation from a guy I had done B+E test with — luckily he had a cancellation for a weeks training so could fit me in at short notice. One man band with his own Scania, only did 1-2-1 training and has a near 100% first time pass rate. I met up with him Sunday afternoon, when the roads were quieter, and he would do an assessment.
First up he took me on a drive for around 30 minutes explaining his every thought, reason and action (‘mostly’ to do with the lorry and driving!). We then went to a large empty yard to play around with the gearbox and clutch etc, then a short 30 minute drive around quiet roads. Filled with confidence, I signed up for the training, four hours a day Mon-fri and a test on the Saturday.

I will try not to witter on too long - it was exhausting, but the trainer fantastic, worked perfectly for me. We got on well enough to chat away but I was at times more scared of him than I ever was of the lorry I was driving - ex military I think, very approachable but you wouldn’t want to ■■■■ him off!

Reversing manoever wasn’t an issue for me, growing up on a farm I’ve been backing up tractors and trailers since I could reach the pedals, and more than anything I found getting up to speed in the lorry an issue, I would happily have gone everywhere at 20, forever being told to speed up.
Like everyone else I had good days and a customary mid week meltdown — won’t go into too much detail but have you seen that episode of Fawlty Towers with Basil, the mini and the tree branch? Very nearly….
Lightbulb moment came probably Thursday morning when I drove around a new city centre route in rush hour and for the first time everything seemed to happen on automatic without me having to think every gear change or button push through in minute detail.
Last drive before the test didn’t go atall well, it felt like my first day again, everything was stilted and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing - but I was told a bad dress rehearsal is a good sign!

To add to the stress, on the day before the test on the way home from training I had my handbag stolen, with ■■■■■ and driving licence and counterpart etc. Not what I needed to keep a calm head!! That meant a mad rush to DVLA offices to beg a
replacement, cancelled test, then a last minute call saying there was a cancellation for the Monday afternoon. Nothing like a nice calm preparation!

The test itself went as well as I could have hoped for! I don’t really get nervous but it was a bit off putting sitting in formal silence with a stranger having spent the week nattering away with my trainer. We went on the one test route I hadn’t practiced, and about 10 minutes in found myself accidentally in the wrong lane on a very busy junction. I broke the silence by having a foul mouthed rant (I’m sure I’ve got Tourettes at times like that, I completely lose the nice girl image!) — anyway once I’d got a dozen or so expletives out I looked at the examiner, who looked at me, we both burst out laughing and from then on I actually enjoyed the drive! Maybe the examiner was too shocked from my outburst — but managed to pass with just two minors.

My overall advice to others starting their training would be to shop around for a trainer who suits you — I will happily recommend mine to anyone, I still hear his voice in my head when I’m driving now, not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing… but I understand that what works for one person might not for everyone. Ask questions (there is no such thing as a stupid question, I’m sure they’ve heard them all before!) and if you want to practice something a dozen times, make sure you do.
And don’t let anyone give you **** about women drivers!

+1. Definitely key to a good result and less stress throughout the week.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. An excellent result with just 2 minors.

Just out of interest, what have you done since passing a couple of years ago? Regular work / agency ■■

Dean

Forgive me if I’m wrong, ThreeEightFour but have you undergone training in BE and C for Equestrian reasons? Just a thought when you speak about your Landrover and then BE and eventually moving onto C… don’t take offence to it, I too am involved in Equestrianism :slight_smile:

dar1976:
Just out of interest, what have you done since passing a couple of years ago? Regular work / agency ■■

Dean

Nothing so productive - took it so that I could drive a 7.5t horsebox, but opted for the Cat C as opposed to the C1 as it was the same price same training etc, and that has been useful as I’ve just upgraded to a much bigger lorry - would have been an awful hassle to go through it all again!
I like to think I’m not quite the cliche of “weekend horsebox driver” - I do work full time with competition horses who compete all over the country, but I apologise you are still likely to get stuck behind me going a little slower than you would like :wink: as some of the beasts on board are worth £■■,000 and I’m in trouble if they arrive at the event with as much as a drop of sweat on them!

ThreeEightFour:
opted for the Cat C as opposed to the C1 as it was the same price same training etc, and that has been useful as I’ve just upgraded to a much bigger lorry
I do work full time with competition horses who compete all over the country

You must be one of the few equestrian horsebox drivers who does not moan about having to abide by the EU driver regs as you do it full time commercially

I like you … :blush:

1st posts says it all … :smiley:

Hello and welcome :smiley:

Well as my mam say’s I am a good girl as nice girl’s have no fun :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to the mad house & yep plenty of ladies on here btw

Yep I did shop around when I one my C & have done for CE hope that can be sorted soon

Welcome threeeightfour
Sounds like u will fit right in on here
Were not a bad bunch lol
Jen x

49er:
1st posts says it all … :smiley:

Thank you all for replies! I could probably be done for trade descriptions as I’m now officially very late twenties and a lowly brunette… but you’re still a friendly bunch - having recently broken down in a rather awkward place have to say thank you to the many lorry drivers who stopped to offer support or just a reassuring word, as opposed to the many car drivers who gave me grief and maybe got a mouthful in return (I try not to make a habit of this but when lorry conks out on what might be the UK’s busiest road with a couple of young nutty horses on board I can’t help but be a bit stressed - was tempted to start on the sedation I was stuffing into the horses!)