Passed Cat C....

Well thats the Cat C under my belt, let’s hope that between em the DVLA and PO get my licence back in good time so I can book my Cat CE training soon… :slight_smile:

Took and passed my test first time on Thursday 15/10 after 4 half days of one on one driving with Peter Smythe Transport Training in Mansfield. Notts.
Thanks very much Peter and especially my instructor Chris. Although they provide medicals and theory training I chose to do these myself to try and keep costs to a minimum though if you can stretch to it I would recommend doing everything with one training provider, keep the whole experience as stress free as possible.
As Peter would say " Keep it simple" :wink: They also provide the initial CPC although I didnt need to do it and various courses for your ongoing CPC hours. I’m booked in for a course on tacos and drivers hours. I would recommend them to anyone… Thats at least another coffee Pete… :wink:

So the training…
After an assessment drive with Peter we had a chat and settled on a 4 half days training with the test on day 5.
Without going into day by day detail I have to say that my instructer Chris was patient, thorough and we did various aspects as many times as i needed so I felt confident, hill starts being the main one for me. I think by the 3rd day I only forgot to change the range shift once and didnt do it at all by 4th day. Didnt clip a kerb till 10 mins from the end of day 4…! That was a hard one to put to the back of my mind…
I did 4 reverse exercises one after the other and it went in spot on every time, really was simple and made easy with the help of the top secret reversing aid…!!
The night before my test and I’m trying to sleep and know I’m ready. Only things I am concious about are the controlled stop, keeping my approach speed down and hitting a kerb…!

And the test…
Woke up, pulled back the curtains and look at the rain…! Its been fine during my training and skidding on my controlled stop is all I can think about. I’m not even gonna make it out of the test centre… :frowning: How do I work the wipers…? Mmm…
Two cups of tea and at least as many smokes and I’m feeling good. Thinking positive and gonna show em how safe I am in the wet…!! :slight_smile:
Introductions made and I’m starting my reverse exercise wondering why the wagon isnt going backwards as I release the clutch…! I’m sure Dennis the examiner knows exactly why as he’s getting wetter and wetter and I decide its best to actually put it into reverse and try again… :blush:

He jumps in the cab, I hit 20 then hit the brakes only skidding slightly and look in the mirror and think the cones are about 6 inches from the back of the wagon, Dennis doesnt get out to check and its of on to the roads we go…
The only thing that surprises me on the test was the amount that the examiner was chatting, I’m sure its part of the test to see if I can hold a conversation while still driving…
The first 50 mins fly by and I’m quite enjoying it, think Im doing ok and think were on the way back when asked to turn and we do another loop… About an hour and 15 mins after the start I’m parked back at the test centre and told I’ve passed with 5 minors…! :smiley: :smiley: Happy Days :smiley: :smiley:
2 for mirrors. Cant remember where. :blush:
1 for moving off. In 5th instead of 4th, she struggled a bit, not enough of a gradient.
1 for a left turn. From single carriageway road onto a housing estate, small filter lane I should have made more use of.
1 for signalling. I think I’d signalled to pass a parked car, there was another parked 15-20 meters further on, I thought I held my line but must have drifted back over and didnt signal for the second car.

So… I’m still smiling from ear to ear…!

Applied for 2 jobs and been asked to call a couple of places back when I’ve got my class 1…

Thanks to everyone and trucknet for all the info… :smiley:

:sunglasses: well done that man. :smiley:

Hi Steve,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “Cat C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

briandavies158:
8) well done that man. :smiley:

Hi Brian, long time no see!! :wink: :grimacing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Thats at least another coffee Pete… :wink:

I’ll make a note!

Well done Steve :laughing: :laughing: