Multiple punctures

A couple of weeks ago, on the M1 northbound around junc 32, I saw about 7 or 8 cars on the hard shoulder all within close proximity, with punctures, some of them with 2-3 flat tyres, and a lot of people scratching their heads.

Thought it was strange but pit it down to some sort of debris in the road, and thought nothing further of it.

Anyway last Friday saw the same thing, multiple cars on the hard shoulder, close together some with multiple punctures, on the M5 southbound around junction 4. Spoke to a mate and he says he as seen something similar. Anybody any ideas what the cause of this is? Are the police using stingers and forgetting to pull them back in? As anyone else seen this phenomenon?

usually stuff on the carrageway…usually cars have thinner tyres than trucks which is why u dont see several trucks in a line like the cars…

jayeastanglia:
usually stuff on the carrageway…usually cars have thinner tyres than trucks which is why u dont see several trucks in a line like the cars…

As said, car tyres suffer more than truck tyres with debris.

That and car drivers pay, on average, less attention to whats in the road than truck drivers. :unamused:

snafu:
[That and car drivers pay, on average, less attention to whats in the road than truck drivers. :unamused:

In all fairness, when there’s debris in the road you have little choice but to drive over it. With a 2 second following distance to come to a complete stop on the motorway would be very dangerous and unlikely to happen anyway in 2 seconds and if both sides of you are blocked with traffic where can you go?

Also bear in mind a car can see very little ahead, we can see way over the top and what’s happening in the distance so can prepare.

Last time I saw that it was on the M4 and had been caused by a big pot hole opening up in the road. By the time I passed the lane had been coned off by the HATOs but there were already a dozen or more cars on the hard shoulder with punctures or worse as a result.

Paul

probably them lorry drivers bringing scrap bails up from birmingham to steelworks at rotherham them who dont sheet them even when there on a flatbed they jus chuck a strap over back and there away :open_mouth: :open_mouth: