Plagued by punctures

In the past couple of weeks I’ve had loads of them. Had to report 2 trailers last week as they had nails in the tyres and I also had to have a call out to get a front replaced on the unit when out on a run. Now this week I’ve had to report another trailer as it’s got a nail in a tyre. I think I’m testing transports patience if in honest. I also feel like I’m the only one checking the tyres, I do wonder how long some of them have been there. The last one I’ve reported was only a local run and for a brief second it did cross my mind as to whether to take it out but straight away I thought sack that and scolded myself for being silly, with the pressures the tyres run at and the weight involved its a no brainer really. It’s just frustrating :unamused:

I think the bigger problem is the amount of drivers that just kick the tyre and unless it has less than 40 psi in it they wouldn’t know any different. I see a lot of trailer changes and despite drivers having to wait 5-10 mins for a green light to back on to the trailer very few get out and check the tyres while they’re waiting.

You couldn’t make this up. The run I got to replace the trailer I defected has a chunk out of the tread down to the thread. Got a pic on my phone but not sure how to upload?

There we go

That’s a nice one Tarman. You best get someone out of bed…

Its still in the yard. I went and told transport and they said drop it and you may aswell sign off and finish early :smiley:

Have you got a ■■■■■■■■ yard? That’s usually where they lurk undetected.

It’s all concrete. It’s kept pretty tidy too with a bloke on days doing his rounds with a yard sweeper. The store service yards however are a different story.

Tarrman:
There we go

To be honest, that tyre looks on it’s limit anyway??
The strangest puncture I’ve had = a Bic biro, straight through a super single

One of the biggest problems I have is other drivers at my work not reporting defects.
So, when I report defects, the company think i’m a ‘jobsworth’.

Could possibly be due to the workmen that have been in putting them new decker bays on? My tug had a nail in the tyre last friday too…

rambo19:
One of the biggest problems I have is other drivers at my work not reporting defects.

I know that feeling, but IF ITS NOT RIGHT, IT DOES NOT GO!

It really is that simple.

I know that you get labelled as “Awkward” etc. but one day the transport companies will realise it is not me being “Awkward” it is the last driver being “NEGLIGENT!!!”

ADR 1:

Tarrman:
There we go

To be honest, that tyre looks on it’s limit anyway??
The strangest puncture I’ve had = a Bic biro, straight through a super single

No there was a good few mm left on it, it’s just a bad photo/flash. It was low but still legal.

lankyphil:
Could possibly be due to the workmen that have been in putting them new decker bays on? My tug had a nail in the tyre last friday too…

Could quite possibly be the reason, it’s never been this bad before. They arnt having much luck with them decker bays, the RSU has only had one working over the past few days meaning they’ve normally had to drop the loaded (with RSU) trailer on return to the depot. Makes for easy work lol

rambo19:

I reported defects on 4 units in 2 days , 2 other drivers told me that they had noticed the problems but drove them anyway , we as drivers deserve everything we get sometimes :unamused:

Tarrman:

lankyphil:

Could quite possibly be the reason, it’s never been this bad before. They arnt having much luck with them decker bays, the RSU has only had one working over the past few days meaning they’ve normally had to drop the loaded (with RSU) trailer on return to the depot. Makes for easy work lol

Yeah, till you’re on the shunt, the warehouse want deckers putting on and you haven’t got any… Cue warehouse manager ripping the RSU a new one last Friday because there’d been a decker sat on the RSU bay for 4 hours waiting to be tipped :slight_smile:

rambo19:

+1.

But you get precious little encouragement to report the problems only to “get the load out”, “delivery windows”. Not doing the defect only becomes a problem when you are at the wheel and the smelly brown stuff hits the air circulation device, and then when it lands you will be underneath it.

trubster:

rambo19:

I know that feeling, but IF ITS NOT RIGHT, IT DOES NOT GO!

It really is that simple.

I know that you get labelled as “Awkward” etc. but one day the transport companies will realise it is not me being “Awkward” it is the last driver being “NEGLIGENT!!!”

We all deserve to go home fit well and healthy at the end of the day , and some prick that cannot be bothered to report a nail might just be signing you into hospital or worse if fate steps in…walk around checks should be done properly, even if only to keep Vosa off your backs, or does the company TM want to be not on a green with them ?, because getting on their bad side if a ■■■■ site worse than a driver with a defect for holding your deliveries up I promise.
Be Professional not an Amateur is my thought.

I defect everything I come across. Been in the garage 3 times already this week. I think with our lot unless it stops the truck from moving they just carry on.

I was sitting in my unit last night and another parked next to me at the end of his shift. He got out with his gear and as he did the hand brake not applied buzzer went off. He was all set to leave the truck there for the night with no hand brake on. Lucky for him (and everyone else) the buzzer was working yet I’m always coming across units where they don’t. They can’t be breaking on the shift before mine every time.

The problem is that the few of us that report EVERYTHING get a bad name for being “Arsey”

If my opinion is worth anything (Which it isn’t as an agency driver) I would be having SERIOUS words with the LAST driver(s) regarding not reporting defects, this is GROSS MISCONDUCT and could put the drivers or innocent motorists lives in danger.

Scenario - Cut to sidewall of tyre, driver ignores it, the tyre blows and causes a pile up on a motorway. Very easily could be turned into a fatal accident.