Multi drop work/digi tacho

Sorry in advance stupid questions alert…

Am I right in thinking every time you stop the tacho will automatically go to other work.
Also with multi drop how do you know when you are approaching 4.5 hours driving? Will the tacho warn you?

bcfc1710:
Sorry in advance stupid questions alert…

Am I right in thinking every time you stop the tacho will automatically go to other work.
Also with multi drop how do you know when you are approaching 4.5 hours driving? Will the tacho warn you?

Q1. No … it depends on the settings as some will revert to rest … just be careful some digi tacho’s will revert to rest after the ignition is switched so just recheck when you take the keys out …
Q2. it should flag up a 15min warning saying Break 15…

I think some of the old digi’s wouldn’t pick up on that if you had POA booked that would wipe the clock … not sure if the new ones do as I never get to that stage…

So to be safe check what Your Digi does because some are programed different.

bcfc1710:

Every time the vehicle stops the tachograph will change to other work.
When you switch off the ignition, depending on how the tachograph is set-up, the tachograph will most likely change to other work or break, if it changes to break it’s your responsibility to change it to other work if you’re working.

bcfc1710:

Yes, you will get a visual warning when you’ve done 4¼ hours driving time.
But you can check what driving time you’ve done anyway, if I remember correctly the Stoneridge tachograph has the driving time on the standard display screen, on a Siemens tachograph when the vehicle is stationary press the down arrow key to see how much driving time you’ve done since your last 45 minute break.

Cheers for the replies! Slowly getting my head around it

It is not a stupid question.Some drivers use a kitchen timer.They sell them in truckstops or hardware shops for about a tenner or less.
When the truck stops at congestion and traffic jams,the tacho adds two minutes driving time.
This builds up and may catch you out.
The driving time can be seen by going in the menu on the tacho.

it doesn’t “add” the two minutes but if you’ve moved all of 5 seconds in any two minutes it counts the two minutes as driving. so it’s possible to sit in heavy traffic for four and a half hours, moving a few feet every minute and it will count it all as driving. but it won’t add two minutes for every movement, so it won’t catch up on you as it’s not possible for your driving time to be up before 4.5hrs.

all of this petains to the older tachographs, as the newer ones are much more driver-friendly and save a lot of time.

To be more precise, with the old type digital tachographs if you drive for a few seconds in a minute the whole of that minute will be recorded as driving time, if the few seconds driving crosses over two minutes recorded by the tachograph both of those minutes will be counted as driving time.

Consequently if you start driving 1 second before the clock turns over a minute the tachograph will add 59 seconds driving time, if you stop driving 1 second into the minute (as recorded by the tachograph) it will add another 59 seconds driving time.

With a Stoneridge, you can scroll through the menu to two (different) screens that show how long you’ve been driving (first one) and the other one counts down how much driving time you have left before your 4and a half are up. On the Siemens, push the down arrow once to give you a screen that shows driving time and some other bits and pieces… Of the two, the Stoneridge is easier to read quickly, so you can check it while driving. Some trucks have some of the info repeated on the dash, but being fairly new myself, I haven’t driven many different trucks, and they’re all 7.5 T anyway.
Good luck, keep it on the black stuff!