Digi tachograph help!

Hi all, just getting used to the new digi cards and i have a couple of questions.

1. When i am driving, the tacho automatically goes into driving mode. When you stop, ie for a delivery (multidrop work!) the tacho goes into work mode. Is this still racking driving time up so for example if i have done 4hrs actual driving but in that 4hrs i have stopped for 29mins in total whilst delivering does this mean im due for a break as its 4hrs29mins or do i still have 29mins driving left??! Sorry for the stupid question but to me being a beginner its all a learning curve!

2. also how do you lot use your tacho, in simple terms from when you put it in first thing in a morning when would you touch it again??

I have some agency work and want to get it right.! Many thanks. Lee

Only the time recorded as driving count towards your driving hours.

So in your example, you would have driven 4 hrs & done other work for 29 mins, so you’d be due a driving break after another 31mins of actual driving.

You’ll also notice that it will change to other work when stationary at lights, road works, etc. This is useful to know, as if you trickle through a traffic jam, you’ll rack up your driving hours quicker than if you stop and start.

It’s advisable to keep an eye on the tacho display regularly, but you should only need to touch it after you’ve started to put it on break. It will come off break as soon as you drive off again. Hope this helps

Nez

At any time while driving if you press the down arrow it will show you how much driving you have done since your last 45 minute break
But be aware if you have a 30 and then a 15 which we all know is not allowed the tacho will reset your driving time to 0 -
and it will also reset the driving to 0 after 45 minutes POA - so be carefull of these two potential problems
and
if you press the down arrow with the ignition on the bottom left figure is you 2 weekly spread over of 90 hours
and to do a daily printout press ok three times -
once you get confident you can actually display the info from a printout and save paper
cheers
Steve

yes it does, thanks very much. It is all coming clearer now! slowly!

One other thing, to comply with WTD if i have been driving for 4 hrs but another 2 hours on top of that i had been doing other work then although i havent clocked up 4.5hrs driving time i would have to have a 15min break because ive done a total of 6 hrs work irrespective of what the work involves■■?!

Cheers. Lee

lparker9983:
yes it does, thanks very much. It is all coming clearer now! slowly!

One other thing, to comply with WTD if i have been driving for 4 hrs but another 2 hours on top of that i had been doing other work then although i havent clocked up 4.5hrs driving time i would have to have a 15min break because ive done a total of 6 hrs work irrespective of what the work involves■■?!

Cheers. Lee

That’s correct but in those circumstances the 15 minute WTD break would also count as a 15 minute tachograph break, so after another 30 minutes driving you would need a 30 minute break.

Be aware that the digital tachograph still counts breaks in 15 minute segments, so for instance if you had three 15 minute breaks the driving time on the tachograph would be reset, but as you know three 15 minute breaks will only count as one 15 minute break for the tachograph regulations.

You should also be aware that some digital tachograph will default to other work and some will default to break/rest when the ignition is switched off, so you’ll need to check what mode it’s on when you turn off the ignition.

I honestly dont know where id be without you lot!! probably banged up for tacho offenses actually!! :open_mouth:

Well it all seems easy enough, just got to keep check on everything throughout the day and i will defo check what mode the tacho switches to after ignition goes off. So many rules and ive only just begun!

If you work for an agency would it be advisable to do a print out at the end of the day? I mean if you are driving for different people/companies on a regular basis. I do Europe work as well as uk and the companies vary vastly…Cheers all

lparker9983:
If you work for an agency would it be advisable to do a print out at the end of the day? I mean if you are driving for different people/companies on a regular basis. I do Europe work as well as uk and the companies vary vastly…Cheers all

Difficult to answer that one, some agencies ask for a printout I believe but some companies don’t like you wasting print paper.

Sometimes it really can be a case of you win I lose :unamused:

Personally unless I’m asked to take a printout or if I want one for my own records I don’t bother, the data is all on the card so nobody but the agency or the transport company will need a printout.

Having said that you should make sure you’ve got enough print paper to do printouts if you get stopped and an enforcement officer wants printouts, it’s best to carry a spare roll of print paper just in case :wink:

tachograph:

lparker9983:
I do Europe work as well as uk and the companies vary vastly…Cheers all

Having said that you should make sure you’ve got enough print paper to do printouts if you get stopped and an enforcement officer wants printouts, it’s best to carry a spare roll of print paper just in case :wink:

if you’re doing europe then take heed of tacho’s advice on the spare roll because it’s a fine if you haven’t got one :imp: