New Driver Digi Tacho Question

Just started driving and noticed that when i stop at lights or junctions or anywhere where the wheels stop turning the tacho records ‘other work’ and not driving. Doesn’t this effect my driving hours as it could add up over a long shift?

Welcome, yes to your advantage! Even analogue tachos do this (ie revert back to other work when the wheels stop turning). Perfectly normal and correct.

Yes. It affects them in a GOOD way! “Driving” relates to wheels moving. This is where folks get it round their neck when talking about jams on motorways eating up their driving time. It isn’t. But, of course, it does eat up the notional spreadover time.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that guys. Was getting a bit worried when other drivers started talking about analysing data and infringements. I do have another question which might sound stupid. Took a load out the other day. Was a drop and swap at a depot. Drove for 2.5 hrs to the depot and Dropped the trailer but the return wasn’t ready and was told to take my break while i was waiting. Set the tacho to break and after 45 mins the tacho showed 4.30 driving time available. Does this mean i had actually lost 2 hrs of available driving time?

No you did’nt lose 2hrs.It just resets the clock to enable you to drive another 4 hour 30 if.After that 4 hour 30 min driving period you would then need another 45 min break.And then you could use those other 2hours up.

Charmleyjetson:
Thanks for that guys. Was getting a bit worried when other drivers started talking about analysing data and infringements. I do have another question which might sound stupid. Took a load out the other day. Was a drop and swap at a depot. Drove for 2.5 hrs to the depot and Dropped the trailer but the return wasn’t ready and was told to take my break while i was waiting. Set the tacho to break and after 45 mins the tacho showed 4.30 driving time available. Does this mean i had actually lost 2 hrs of available driving time?

A digital tachograph will always reset the available driving time after a 45 minute break, you can take the breaks at any time as long as you don’t go over 4½ hours driving time before having a 45 minute break.

You don’t lose any driving time if you have a break early, for instance you could drive for 3½ hours then have a 45 minute break, drive for another 3½ hours then have another 45 minute break, you could then drive for another 2 hours, or 3 hours on an extended driving day.

Whatever breaks you have and whenever you have them you still have 9 hours driving between daily rest periods, or 10 hours twice a week.

Charmleyjetson, it is NEVER stupid to ask questions, thats how we all learn, especially about tacho rules, which maybe costly with a fine to pay at the roadside to Dvsa or the Magistrates court.
On serious offences, it could mean the loss of the vocational licence, more serious cases end up with drivers in jail.
Nobody knocked you down with their replies.

This was a question I had came on to ask so not a stupid question at all !! I was worried I was losing driving time having a break but now I understand. Many thanks everyone :smiley:

Cleared that minefield for me, too. Makes sense now. Thanks everyone. :smiley:

Charmleyjetson:
Just started driving and noticed that when i stop at lights or junctions or anywhere where the wheels stop turning the tacho records ‘other work’ and not driving. Doesn’t this effect my driving hours as it could add up over a long shift?

The answer is yes but it will actually record the time as “other work” only if you spend about a minute stopping. Tachos record what you were doing most of any given minute, so if you were stopped for, say, only 20 seconds, it will record that minute as driving. Remember that the other work counts towards your total work time, and you have to take 30 minutes break after 6hrs of work (which includes driving) if that occurs before your 4.5 hours of driving is up.