Mooney & Morley ,Selby... Anybody got any photo's?

Bit of a long shot but I was hoping somebody might have a photo or two of the F7’s ? Infact any photos would be welcome :smiley:

have a look on flickr search mooney & morley or google flickr m2oopal photos, theres a couple of mooneys in amongst them

Thanks for that… If thats the same Marathon that was the last one to go then its grill badge is in my garage!

I would love to find a photo or two of one of the F7’s… I briefly worked there in the garage, first truck i drove was one of the F7’s… cant remember which one…could of been TJV? The reason I need some pic’s is because Im building a 1/24 scale F7 and would like to do it in their colours… I remember the colours ok but need the location of the sign writing… I remember them being ‘stickers’ !

Little work in progress.

that marathon is the one john elcock had from new, i seem to remember the name being in a straight line on the door just below the window on the f 7s as you say they were stickers, just the name and selby and the phone number on the door

artic monkey:
that marathon is the one john elcock had from new, i seem to remember the name being in a straight line on the door just below the window on the f 7s as you say they were stickers, just the name and selby and the phone number on the door

I didnt work there until 1988 , started off as a work experience while at school , not sure who’s Marathon it was as it had been used at the other yard as a compressor ( i think) It was towed around to the workshop as it had run a big end. I was 15 years old and I got the job of repairing it … so it could be sold for scrap as a runner. Sump off and the offending big end cleaned up and fitted with a pair of shell bearings… the old girl fired up :smiley: Before she left the garage a few things were removed, I claimed the air horn and the Marathon badge off the front ( which I still have).

I cant remember many names of the drivers, I used to live next door to Billy Firth ( drove the F86 six wheeler flat) And Mr McGoven? who also lived at Carlton… Was a pleasure to work alongside Martin Paige (sadly not with us now) and I still see Derek Friar now and again .

I was there when the two F7 sleepers were converted into 4 wheeler rigids, the 111 Scania had just gone , still a couple of Leylands Clydsdale and a newer 6x4 ,possibly a constructor that wasnt that reliable! Happy days :smiley:

sorry for dragging up an old post, but i worked there as a fitter from 1984 till 1989

i remember the 3 Marathons well, one Marathon I and two Marathon IIs…the one with the big and knocked out was the P reg Mk 1, i semi fixed it with Mehmet (Derek) the first time it went, the crank was so scored we packed it with grease just to get it running…we also painted the roof with underseal as we were using it as a shunter and it had a roof leak somewhere we couldnt find so it ended up looking like it had a vinyl roof! lol it was replaced with a Leyand Reiver i shorten down and replaced the 401 motor with a 410 turbo as a yard shunter.
They had a 111 and a 141 (6 wheeler v8 that was a pain every year to get through the MOT as it was too long by about 3" no matter where we put the 5th wheel)
You probably remember TJV as we nicknamed it ‘Tidy For a T’ and it was the first unit to be converted to a rigid curtain sider)

Mr McGoverns first name was Phil.
There was also Alec Forsyth (141), Bob Gell (The tidiest F7 rigid in the yard, he was always touching up the paint on a saturday morninng), Dave Patton, Dave King, Dave Gray (drove D622 the 112 six wheeler i painted), George Laing (F86 which i replaced the cab on, Marathon and F7), John Arthur (F10), Rab Allen (Marathon and Scania if i remember rightly), Bill Jack (111), Bill Firth (Riever, F86 then converted F7)…i cant remember any more names off the top of my head…apart from Bob Dickinson and his son who were the forklift drivers

stock_tm:

artic monkey:

I didnt work there until 1988 , started off as a work experience while at school , not sure who’s Marathon it was as it had been used at the other yard as a compressor ( i think) It was towed around to the workshop as it had run a big end. I was 15 years old and I got the job of repairing it … so it could be sold for scrap as a runner. Sump off and the offending big end cleaned up and fitted with a pair of shell bearings… the old girl fired up :smiley: Before she left the garage a few things were removed, I claimed the air horn and the Marathon badge off the front ( which I still have).

I cant remember many names of the drivers, I used to live next door to Billy Firth ( drove the F86 six wheeler flat) And Mr McGoven? who also lived at Carlton… Was a pleasure to work alongside Martin Paige (sadly not with us now) and I still see Derek Friar now and again .

I was there when the two F7 sleepers were converted into 4 wheeler rigids, the 111 Scania had just gone , still a couple of Leylands Clydsdale and a newer 6x4 ,possibly a constructor that wasnt that reliable! Happy days :smiley:

hi my dad alec forsyth is still driving aged 73 he at hendersons now. regards alex forsyth jnr.

Steve-D:
sorry for dragging up an old post, but i worked there as a fitter from 1984 till 1989

i remember the 3 Marathons well, one Marathon I and two Marathon IIs…the one with the big and knocked out was the P reg Mk 1, i semi fixed it with Mehmet (Derek) the first time it went, the crank was so scored we packed it with grease just to get it running…we also painted the roof with underseal as we were using it as a shunter and it had a roof leak somewhere we couldnt find so it ended up looking like it had a vinyl roof! lol it was replaced with a Leyand Reiver i shorten down and replaced the 401 motor with a 410 turbo as a yard shunter.
They had a 111 and a 141 (6 wheeler v8 that was a pain every year to get through the MOT as it was too long by about 3" no matter where we put the 5th wheel)
You probably remember TJV as we nicknamed it ‘Tidy For a T’ and it was the first unit to be converted to a rigid curtain sider)

Mr McGoverns first name was Phil.
There was also Alec Forsyth (141), Bob Gell (The tidiest F7 rigid in the yard, he was always touching up the paint on a saturday morninng), Dave Patton, Dave King, Dave Gray (drove D622 the 112 six wheeler i painted), George Laing (F86 which i replaced the cab on, Marathon and F7), John Arthur (F10), Rab Allen (Marathon and Scania if i remember rightly), Bill Jack (111), Bill Firth (Riever, F86 then converted F7)…i cant remember any more names off the top of my head…apart from Bob Dickinson and his son who were the forklift drivers

That brings back a few memories… Am I right in thinking you are the Steve who had just finished your appreticeship when I started there with a school work experience? I used to get a lift with Martin Page as he lived just around the corner , sadly no longer with us, and I do remember TJV … I was there when it was converted.

I hope I don’t see a photo of this, my mate at school was Martin Morley and his father Mick was killed in fog whilst driving a Foden. I don’t think they were any relation to Mooney and Morley though. Mick used to do the sawdust in a Sutherlands trailer iirc. This was in the late 60’s. Every time I see or hear about M&M I think of Mike Morley.

Wheel Nut:
I hope I don’t see a photo of this, my mate at school was Martin Morley and his father Mick was killed in fog whilst driving a Foden. I don’t think they were any relation to Mooney and Morley though. Mick used to do the sawdust in a Sutherlands trailer iirc. This was in the late 60’s. Every time I see or hear about M&M I think of Mike Morley.

Hi wheel nut, if the accident you’re referring to was the one of Sutherlands from Scotland an S39 Foden that happened at or near Holme on Spalding Moore, it was recovered by B & C from Pocklington. The unit was cut up by him but he still has the gearbox ! Regards Tony H.

lowreduction:

Wheel Nut:

Hi wheel nut, if the accident you’re referring to was the one of Sutherlands from Scotland an S39 Foden that happened at or near Holme on Spalding Moore, it was recovered by B & C from Pocklington. The unit was cut up by him but he still has the gearbox ! Regards Tony H.

That sounds familiar. I thought M&M pulled for Sutherland. I can picture the trailer outside his house now 40 plus years later.