Mixed middleast pics

well im having a clearout of the pics ive had off the net and these ones ive got no info on anyone help.i reckon ferdy could help with these :wink:
anyone recognize the guy bigj with the tarp over it

any idea on who,s the f88 is

how bout this transconti

schenkers merc :question:

rb where were they from

m&c jamie one for you here

Is that a Sandtrans truck on Schenkers.

Not sure if its the same company but I use to load from Italy for Zust and Bachmeier back to the UK

a few more
anyone recognise some of the motors in the desert

another schenker this time a volvo

pie

any idea on who,s the f88 is

looks like one of harding bros from bristol to me

Indeed this f88 240 is a harding bros (ships stores avonmouth) it was my dads truck from new till he got his f89 then passed on down the line it was named lighting lee as the truck was struck by lightening in france somewhere and destroyed the pitter fridge trailer it was pulling,dad worked for them for about 18 years ending up as yard/workshop manager when he came off the road,below is a model i built for him on his 65th birthday hope this helps
cheers
ade

The Transcon belonged to Hoss and the Sandtrans/Schenker Merc used to be Leo’s, if my memory serves me correctly.
GS

This volvo was owned & driven by Jimmy Bagent, who sadly is no longer with us.
Mercedes Sandtrans had two like this, mostly runnning to Izmir on the ■■■■■■■ Engine Contract.
Dave.

Carl:
well im having a clearout of the pics ive had off the net and these ones ive got no info on anyone help.i reckon ferdy could help with these :wink:
anyone recognize the guy bigj with the tarp over it

]
i never did mid east but this photo brings memories to me.
i learnd to drive an artic in a big j4 guy.
a far cry from the automatic r series scania with automatic gearbox i drive now.

Jem Cockerell was one of the drivers at Sandtrans. I think he has been working in Denmark recently, anybody seen him?

Speak to Rattlesnake Dave I think he drove one of the P.I.E.Dafs :slight_smile:
I have also wondered about the big J looking at the trailer amd the blue and red unit could it be Carmans know they ran volvos early on but a ■■■■■■■■ Big j was A good tool in 1970. :sunglasses: .

Hi Carl,
the M&C MAN in the picture was a 321 left ■■■■■■ reg NMT200X one of three bought by mervyn when the 321’s first came out around 1979/80. they were on the middle east run for quite a few years mainly subbing for Astrans.
The green merc was one of two owned by Sandtrans. one was driven by Leo Smith and the other by Bill ■■? and later by little Duggie.

The F12 was also owned by Sandtrans , it was an ex OHS truck, see the trill-ex front wheels. Leo smith arranged the purchase of this truck from OHS and then drove it for Sandtrans until he got one of the new 440 Mercs
The F12 was later driven by Howard Leighton on the Izmer run and he was expected to also get there in four days, although the other three drivers had an F16 volvo driven by Jim Bagent and two 440 mercs driven by leo and bill.
One morning I was talking to howard in the yard at Izmer when Leo came over and started complaining to Howard about him taking to long to get there from london. He then started to tell howard how to get there in four days.He said you drive until you are falling off your perch, then you lie on the top bunk with the window open a little bit, the cold will waken you up after a couple of hours and then you go on until you are ready to fall off your perch again and repeat the process. I dont know how Howard managed to control himself.

jamie cheers for the info mate :wink:

Oi Jamie
I don’t remember Jimmy Ellis doing it like that when he was on Haleys !! Do you?
GS

Hi Gavin, when Gary Haley set the ■■■■■■■ job up with Shenkers, he told them that they would have a transit time of seven days. This was much more realistic and easier to fullfill. Gary always said that his drivers had enough hassle doing the job without adding silly deadlines like four days transit.
Sandtrans Driver Bill used to boast that it took him three and a half hours from Chanakali to Izmir, which is a distance of three hundred and fifty killometers and two mountains !!!. Little Duggie said that the 440 mercs made the world flat, but I told him that they didn’t make the roads straight.
Howard was stopped by the Polis one day and he was told that he had been doing one hundred and twenty k’s an hour on their radar instead of seventy and that he had a grosse problem. As he spoke fairly fluent turkish he told them that the BMC factory in Izmir was at a standsill with all of the workforce idle waiting on him bringing parts. after a conference with the polis chef they sent him on his way without a fine.

old skool kid:
Speak to Rattlesnake Dave I think he drove one of the P.I.E.Dafs :slight_smile:
I have also wondered about the big J looking at the trailer amd the blue and red unit could it be Carmans know they ran volvos early on but a ■■■■■■■■ Big j was A good tool in 1970. :sunglasses: .

The trailer on its side looks like a Eurofleet Rental,but Carmans had no Big J’s on M/E.I went out on my first trip with one of the oldest motors that was an H reg 240 F88 with an 8 speed.That was retired when I got back in favour of a 290 F88.
The only motor that could have been older was the F88 road train of Jimmy Withers out of the Trowbridge depot.

Hi Jamie,
I think that you will agree with me that in the early eighties from the North of England to Izmir, 7 days was about right. :slight_smile:
4 days from London to Izmir, unbelievable :open_mouth:
Three and a half hours Canakkale to Izmir :confused: add a bit of snow , 2 days. :cry:

You will all remember seeing the sign for TROY :smiley: did anybody ever turn off and go and have a look :question: or were you all like me and thought next time I will go, but never did. :cry: . The same with ANZAC COVE at Gallipoli, if I had the chance now I would make sure that I had the time. :frowning:

Here’s an old picture of the Canakkale Ferry, it wasn’t very big was it. :slight_smile:

The orange volvo 89 belonged to a mob called Oryx i do believe!

jacko22:
The orange volvo 89 belonged to a mob called Oryx i do believe!

This firm has been mentioned a few times in other threads.RB was Oryx Freight and ran double drive F89’s.

deleted

mushroomman:
Hi Jamie,
I think that you will agree with me that in the early eighties from the North of England to Izmir, 7 days was about right. :slight_smile:
4 days from London to Izmir, unbelievable :open_mouth:
Three and a half hours Canakkale to Izmir :confused: add a bit of snow , 2 days. :cry:

You will all remember seeing the sign for TROY :smiley: did anybody ever turn off and go and have a look :question: or were you all like me and thought next time I will go, but never did. :cry: . The same with ANZAC COVE at Gallipoli, if I had the chance now I would make sure that I had the time. :frowning:

Here’s an old picture of the Canakkale Ferry, it wasn’t very big was it. :slight_smile:

quote]

My last job was running to Izmir with television chassis for Ferguson,Clearing customs and tipping in the docks.
Like you I always said to myself,one of these trips I’m going to visit Troy,never did.

Canakkale ferry.

Canakkale ferry.

Always found a good spot for a picnic.