milk tankers

do you need a lot of training ,keep seeing job advertised and it would save me 200 miles a week traveling plusno 1.00 sun morn starts. but ive not applied as ive no experiance,is it worth it or do you need to know a lot ta

Collecting or delivering?

Delivering is just like trunk work.

Collecting is easy enough its just a pain in the ■■■ if it goes wrong. I spent day on a tanker run (was inducted into a company) and I’d gained most of what I needed to know to do the job.

Then again I wasnt trying to learn the job so didnt listen that much.

Mostly its rock up, take same of milk - put into contrainer.

Attach hose

■■■■ up milk

put away hose

give guy printout

repeat… when full head to dairy where they unload for you.

Pretty steady job on a regular daily run, mostly rigids. They tend to work you four days on, four off. Driving down narrow country lanes :frowning: and dodgy :open_mouth: farm tracks can be a bit daunting, especially if the weathers a bit iffy. Country folk are mostly all right, you’ll get offered a brew at most places :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:
as well as a good natter as you’ll be the only other human being a lot of them will see from day to day.

And if you are collecting from farms no tacho to worry about. :wink: :smiley:

Only downside is that the tankers aren’t baffled so they wallow and lurch all over the place. You need a smooth driving style otherwise you do what a bloke driving a Langley Farms tanker did this week and pop it on its side on a roundabout.

Remember when you did your lessons and they told you about keeping your foot on the brake at junctions when driving a tanker? Well it was the milk ones they were talking about.

Setting off is a matter of timing. Get it wrong and you either:

Take off the brake and lurch forward rapidly with the acceleration of a F1 car.
Take off the brake and actually go backwards.
Drop the clutch and go nowhere at all.

As for no 1am starts, well no, 3-4am isn’t 1am I grant you but it’s not 6am either which would be far more preferable.

It’s not bad but there’s a lot of hanging around at the dairies. Work on around 1.5 - 2hrs to unload and clean out.