tanker advice??????????????

hey peps!

im a new pass class1 driver, working for the dairys atm and lovin it!

just after some tips, i want to drive the tankers, we use the milk tankers at work an i want to get on them (better truck, better hours and shiney trailors) :smiley:

just wondering if you guys knew what sort of qualifications you need to drive them(if any)? or what would make me more desirable over any other tom, ā– ā– ā– ā–  or chav for them to give me a opportunityā– ā– ?

it is milk btwā€¦ does that still mean you need the ADR? or is that the course?

im based in the midlands so if anyone knows of any slightlly local training courses thatā€™d be GRAND!!! :smiley:

Bell up your nearest Robert Wisemanā€™s. They use n00bs.

dannyboy_85:
it is milk btwā€¦ does that still mean you need the ADR? or is that the course?

Hi dannyboy_85, STILL need ADR :question:

No mate, milk isnā€™t counted as a dangerous substance, so no ADR licence is required.
(ADR only regulates dangerous substances.)

There isnā€™t a specific driving licence category for tankers, so you just need the appropriate driving licence thatā€™s normally required for the base vehicle eg. Cat ā€œCā€ or Cat "C+E.

Some dairy companies will give you some training designed to familiarise you with the fact that liquid loads will ā€œsurgeā€ inside a tanker, especially when braking or turning. Depending on whether the vehicle is a rigid or an artic, will usually make a difference when doing milk collections.

The rigids usually collect from the farms, and therefore run part-loaded for at least some of the time, whereas artics on milk the milk job usually run either full or empty, but this can vary from job to job. Also, the employer will probably send you out with an ā€œold handā€ to learn the job correctly.

Beware the partly loaded milk tanker. :wink:

dieseldave:
milk isnā€™t counted as a dangerous substance

I think you need to put the ADR books down and take a [zb] break Dave.

Rob K:

dieseldave:
milk isnā€™t counted as a dangerous substance

Well, if I was a newbie, I would be pretty sure that the milk by it self would not be dangerous BUT I might not know WHAT consituted a dangerous LOAD and may therefore make an asumption the ADR regs was to do with dangerous loads such as tankers where the load can wallow about as well as dangerous substances.

A full tanker of milk is no big deal, just take it steady on the doughnuts, other than that nothing to say.
You wont get slop on a full liner, but if its not full, but say half full etc
then just be warey of slop when braking, ie the milk surging forwards and you sitting there like a nodding dog.

Hi Rob K, I think that if you re-read the OP, youā€™ll see that dannyboy_85 was questioning:

dannyboy_85:
does that still mean you need the ADR? or is that the course?

I merely told him that he didnā€™t need ADR for that job, and I then followed that with the reason that he didnā€™t need ADR. Itā€™s actually quite a common misconception amongst new drivers that an ADR licence is need for driving tankers, whereas Iā€™m sure you already understood the distinction that ADR is only required when itā€™s dangerous goods that are being carried. Would you agree that a number of new drivers donā€™t fully appreciate that thereā€™s quite a sizeable food industry that is made more economic by the use of food-grade tankers?

Rob K:

:laughing: :laughing: As for me needing a break from ADR books Rob, I can guarantee that I didnā€™t need to pick one up to answer that question :wink:

Well milk is dangerous to

and to fish because if a spillage enters a watercourse it de-oxygenates the water. :wink:

Dannyboy. Iā€™ll email you a copy of an article on driving tankers.

:sunglasses:

Gurner:
ā€¦ but if its not full, but say half full etc
then just be warey of slop when braking, ie the milk surging forwards and you sitting there like a nodding dog.

Thatā€™s true Gurner, but if that were the only problem itā€™s only an inconvenience when the driver becomes sea-sick :laughing:

To be serious, and as Iā€™m sure you know, the problem surfaces with a partly laden tanker when you try to turn and brake at the same time. When this happens, the forces of inertia AND centrifugal force are acting in conflict with each other. These conflicting forces will cause a roll-over at surprisingly low speeds. A 25% load is generally considered to be the worst, because thereā€™s enough weight aboard to cause problems, whilst at the same time thereā€™s plenty of room for the load to move about.

dieseldave:

Gurner:
ā€¦ but if its not full, but say half full etc

Thatā€™s true Gurner, but if that were the only problem itā€™s only an inconvenience when the driver becomes sea-sick :laughing:

To be serious, and as Iā€™m sure you know, the problem surfaces with a partly laden tanker when you try to turn and brake at the same time. When this happens, the forces of inertia AND centrifugal force are acting in conflict with each other. These conflicting forces will cause a roll-over at surprisingly low speeds. A 25% load is generally considered to be the worst, because thereā€™s enough weight aboard to cause problems, whilst at the same time thereā€™s plenty of room for the load to move about.

I posted a very good article on here about tanker driving about a year ago. Itā€™d be worth your while doing a search.

Rob K:
I posted a very good article on here about tanker driving about a year ago. Itā€™d be worth your while doing a search.

Yes, Iā€™d like to read that please Rob.

I had a go at finding it, but the trouble is Iā€™m not brilliant with search ā€œthingysā€ so could you put a link for me please??
Itā€™s to do with your extremely high post count, and my lack of skill at narrowing down the results. :blush:

dieseldave:

Rob K:

I had a go at finding it, but the trouble is Iā€™m not brilliant with search ā€œthingysā€ so could you put a link for me please??
Itā€™s to do with your extremely high post count, and my lack of skill at narrowing down the results. :blush:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ā€¦ ght=tanker

ROG:

dieseldave:

Rob K:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ā€¦ ght=tanker

Er, I donā€™t see any posts from me about tips on driving tankers there ROG. Wrong thread. Try again (and no I canā€™t be arsed looking for it before you ask).