milk tankers

anyone done or doing this work getting on a bit now and fancy a change of scenery , i have a woman friend :blush: whom lives in wiltshire and their are vacancies in that area should i fancy a quieter lifestyle .!!! also gregorys have the contract here in essex and they are looking ,as you know im looking for wage cut :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: and this could be my opportunity to go rural.

Haven’t done milk tankers, but all my deliveries are to farms. Be prepared for tight access , narrow lanes etc and untreated roads in winter. On the plus side farms don’t have opening and closing times, within reason, and most farmers are pleased to see the milk tanker as it means they get paid!

Be prepared to massively change how you drive. The tankers are unbaffled so you can have 20 tonnes of milk slopping about. Even things like setting off from a traffic light need to be done with care because you can find that if you don’t time it right when you release the brake you can be shot backwards into the vehicle behind you or shot forwards into the vehicle in front of you depending what point the milk is in its backwards/forwards surging.

Cow juice tankers have vent taps, the wrong position results in the tanker being sucked inwards and it’s written off.
Cream takes hours to unload.
Cip is the chemical and hot water wash, a plastic tube holds the Cip paper work.
I enjoyed tanker work, subsided canteens at the dairies.
Mind the loose mad farm dogs and hidden machinery hidden in the grass on farms, easy to pop the tyres.
Farmers are alone all day and will talk forever with the sob story of a bad year with two Range Rovers in the drive and kids at private school.

Conor:
Be prepared to massively change how you drive. The tankers are unbaffled so you can have 20 tonnes of milk slopping about. Even things like setting off from a traffic light need to be done with care because you can find that if you don’t time it right when you release the brake you can be shot backwards into the vehicle behind you or shot forwards into the vehicle in front of you depending what point the milk is in its backwards/forwards surging.

Connor you definitely need to change your driving style… :open_mouth:

Conor is not that far wrong. A rapid stop in a slurry coated yard, in a tanker with 17-20t on, can, when the milk surges from the back to the front, have the wagon skyte forwards a good few feet. Makes you really pay attention to your driving style! :smiley:

‘Starving’ farmer daughters! :smiling_imp: :wink:

It might be worth give this vid a watch.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j … 4247,d.eXY

KCLeblanc:
It might be worth give this vid a watch.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j … 4247,d.eXY

loved that video cheers for link certainly looks a challenge but very scenic and interesting albeit a nice day :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: dont think a artic would of made them hence the transfer

topmixer11:
.!!! also gregorys have the contract here in essex and they are looking

One bit of advice, steer clear.

They took a contract over at medina milk near where I live in Hampshire and took the exsisting drivers on (with a pay cut :open_mouth: ) longer hours, most of the drivers walked away and they carn’t keep new divers because of what’s expected of them also I’ve heard they have lost one more contract (not milk) because they couldn’t get/keep driver’s, plus they have another contract near me (again not milk) and carn’t keep drivers (advertising every week) because of the rediculase hours they want you to work, I’ve heard there about to lose that contract

Its a good job as long as you don’t mind a bit of graft. Snow makes it quite exciting although the farmers will help you if you get stuck, its in their interest after all.
Farmers do like to have a chat and some will make you a cuppa, which is great as long as you don’t mind the taste of cow ■■■ in your tea.
Oh yes and be prepared to work Christmas day as the cows aren’t Christians.

My brother-in-law works for Arla in Westbury, he been doing the job for about 19 years now and loves it.
He works most weekends and if not no rota, he’ll offer to do Xmas/new years day and each to his own I say, kids grow up and all that.
Due to retire in 2 years but has already said that he will properly carry on for a bit or even do odd days for them.
It’s not everybody’s cup of tea but what job is ?
As with any job, some people like it, some hate it and some just put up with it.

steveio:
My brother-in-law works for Arla in Westbury, he been doing the job for about 19 years now and loves it.
He works most weekends and if not no rota, he’ll offer to do Xmas/new years day and each to his own I say, kids grow up and all that.
Due to retire in 2 years but has already said that he will properly carry on for a bit or even do odd days for them.
It’s not everybody’s cup of tea but what job is ?
As with any job, some people like it, some hate it and some just put up with it.

CHEERS thats where they are recruiting and could be a way for a 52 year old to move for a rural lifestyle :stuck_out_tongue:

got interview already jesus !!!

I love it. And i’m 4 on 4 off even better.
I deliver to oakthorpe most days.and loads in there from westbury all the time.
Go for it.you won’t regret it

tonyb70:

mine is for essex at mo ,thinking of getting the experience then moving that way in next year or so only thing that bothers me is the tricky situations that you could get in but i guess they give you training etc for these ,ie access too farms roads conditions etcetcetc

Done plenty of bulk milk work. Basically two types, farm collection and reload. Farm collection is what it says, whinging farmers with nasty collies and a yard knee deep in cow â– â– â– â– . Reload is easy work. Rigid farm collection vehicles pump the white stuff into trailers til it has about 28000 liters in and you take it to one of the big processing dairies. Tipping is connecting a pipe and waiting an hour, then connecting another pipe to wash (CIP) and waiting another 40 mins. Only hard bit is if you get bay 2 or 3 at Oakthorpe which are stupid tight, but there is always regular drivers in that will offer advice and watch you in.

Conor is being a bit dramatic about the swill. You will always be at 44 ton loaded and it does move about a bit. As long as you are sensible and drive accordingly you will get few problems. I’ve been out of buxton area all through winter and not had it get ugly. One thing to note is it can be a nightmare on steep hills, you only have to slightly lose traction and the load starts moving the other way. Talk to the other drivers and get them to talk you through the hills to avoid. Information I wasn’t given and had to learn through experience… hour and a half in driving rain to wait for a wrecker to pull me up the roaches…

topmixer11:

tonyb70:

mine is for essex at mo ,thinking of getting the experience then moving that way in next year or so only thing that bothers me is the tricky situations that you could get in but i guess they give you training etc for these ,ie access too farms roads conditions etcetcetc

I don’t think I would be so keen on the farm collections. I just do the bulk tank to the dairies.
Most of the others I speak to tend to do 6 on 2 off

Most of the farm collections are not really that bad, especially if you’re working out of Essex, as most of the dairy units are big’uns so the tank room is away from where the herd spend their time.
It’s definitely a job you have to try as it’s so very different from most driving jobs.
Just remember it’s a 365 day job. You WILL work weekends.
Seriously though, if you get offered a start, try it!!

calsdad:
One thing to note is it can be a nightmare on steep hills, you only have to slightly lose traction and the load starts moving the other way. Talk to the other drivers and get them to talk you through the hills to avoid. Information I wasn’t given and had to learn through experience… hour and a half in driving rain to wait for a wrecker to pull me up the roaches…

And with apologies to my lycra-clad colleagues, if you meet a cyclist ‘owning the road’ on a hill with half a load on, you may as well park up :open_mouth:

Doing a DCPC course tomorrow on ‘vulnerable road users’ so my attitude will get adjusted shortly :blush: :slight_smile: