Mike kirby

Scott Carter:
Found this site by accident last night :laughing:

And sneaked out just as quick :stuck_out_tongue:

having posted yesterday about the sad demise of Macfarlanes, i got a nice suprise this morning. whilst driving into Otley this morning i saw a nearly new , top of the range M A N tga, pulling a nearly new euro-liner, from the Mike kirby fleet… This brought back many memories of the late 80’s when i used to deliver in immingham & grimsby 2 or 3 times a week. At the time mike kirby was running a fleet of immaculate tag axle F12 globetrotters, ( fantastic ) :smiley: then in TRUCK, or TRUCK & DRIVER, there was a feature on , why mike kirby had decided to replace the volvo’s with…ERF…E14’s. :frowning: something to do with economy and costs if i remember rightly, but apparantly driver acceptance was ok :question: :question: :question: doubt it :exclamation: :exclamation:
Also remember seeing John Scholeys turbostars regularly, and a Brigg haulier with immaculate Scanias on tipper work…Brian… :question: :question: Carter :question: :question: i think.
One last memory from the M180, in the 80’s, A very old F88 unit ,with a mid-lift axle fitted, ( brush ) painted battleship grey , on container work,always thought it looked very odd with the granning, type axle fitted .

jerry

Yes. Mike Kirby has been one of the regulars in Immingham for a lot of years, drivers seem to stay there so he must do something right.

The Carter you mention may be Peter Carter from Elsham Wold.

Is that F88 with the wooden cab still running?

Mike Kirby just got some new volvos FH as well which doesnt look to bad! They do alot on ferry work trailers mainly out of Immingham.

Peter Carter had a fleet of trucks mainly 143`s on tipper work and had a yard in Brigg but now down to 1 or 2 and he is up at Elsham. (photo of a 143 in the scania centurion page)

As for the grey F88 was a sleeper then a day cab,he was from Brigg (can`t remember is name) working for exxtor haulage but if remember right the truck was in CM for sale last year in a scape yard down south somewhere.

ive got the kirby article someware :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also have scholey one

The Mike Kirby article in the Truck & Driver with the ERF’s was about him
buying the first two factory fitted 400bhp â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  in a ERF in the country.I think the
venicles were on D plates at the time. :slight_smile:

Thaks for that…
I can’t believe the Mike Kirby ERF’s were on D plates, thats 21 years ago !!!
even worse, the Peter Carter Scania’s i can remember were’nt 143’s, they were 141’s
how time fly’s ehh !!!

jerry

jerry truckartist:
Thaks for that…
even worse, the Peter Carter Scania’s i can remember were’nt 143’s, they were 141’s
how time fly’s ehh !!!

jerry

I think I know the reason why Mike Kirby bought those ERF trucks, the same reason as my boss, and his name was Mike McGwinn, Area salesman at Torridon in Hull, an offshoot of Reliance.

He was very keen and like a bad penny. Whenever the office was busy, when everything was going wrong, he was sure to appear. Im sure people ordered a new truck to get him to leave you alone :smiley:

He must have been good at his job, because he did put a lot of ERF into the East Yorkshire haulage parc.

jerry truckartist:
Thaks for that…
how time fly’s ehh !!!

jerry

Peter Carters was in blue with a white roof back in 80`s.

someone i work with used to work for carters & he told me carter used to always badge his trucks to make them look like they had bigger engines than what they had.

The blue & white colour scheme went around 1986 ish when my dad sold out
it was the that we got the red and silver 143’s we now only run 4 Scania still in the Red livery still on tipper work and also still at Brigg.

Scott Carter:
The blue & white colour scheme went around 1986 ish when my dad sold out
it was the that we got the red and silver 143’s we now only run 4 Scania still in the Red livery still on tipper work and also still at Brigg.

Hello Scott, you sneaked in quietly :stuck_out_tongue:

Found this site by accident last night :laughing: