Merry Christmas - Happy New Year

Well that’s it. Locked up, gone home and started looking at the excessive stacks of grub and beverages assorted.

Seems a good time to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Also to pass on my hope that any help I’ve given has been of use and to pray forgiveness for any rants that have offended. Thanks to those of you who have chosen us for your training. It’s much appreciated.

The latest addition to the fleet arrives on Wednesday ready to start work 3rd Jan - another brand new Eurocargo to make life as easy as possible. It’s the first to bear our striking new livery and if I knew how to put pictures on here I would! But I’ll probably rely on one of you to do it for me. (Not good at things computerised or digital!).

So once again, all the best for the festive season and looking forward to a great new year.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Merry Xmas Pete, I too am finished for the year, suppose I ought to do some prezzie shopping tomorrow, though fortunately most people will be satisfied with the ■■■■ I bought in Adinkerke and the alcohol I bought in Calais on my way back this week. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Merry Christmas Pete and thanks for making my year a fantastic one :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:
The latest addition to the fleet arrives on Wednesday ready to start work 3rd Jan - another brand new Eurocargo to make life as easy as possible. It’s the first to bear our striking new livery

Nice one Pete. I would advise anyone North of Essex to check Pete’s outfit out. I very much doubt any other company has a new truck arriving in this climate.

LGVTrainer:
Nice one Pete. I would advise anyone North of Essex to check Pete’s outfit out. I very much doubt any other company has a new truck arriving in this climate.

Really, that is just a coded message saying “Whatever you do, don’t ■■■■■ your redundancy money on HGV lessons” :wink:

Merry Christmas Pete, hope you have a great one and thanks for all the advice you put on here. The same goes to all on here, Merry Xmas!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry Harry I dont understand.

LGVTrainer:
Sorry Harry I dont understand.

Well, you wouldn’t order a new truck in this climate, if this climate was good…

I feel sorry for all of these desperate people, clutching some small redundancy payment and thinking that an LGV licence will be the solution to their problems, when so many experienced drivers cannot find work.

I hope you explain to your pupils that the chance of finding work with their new licence is virtually nil.

merry christmas and happy new year to all :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to all ,
Hope everyone’s dreams come true :smiley:

Jennie xxxxxx

Well, you wouldn’t order a new truck in this climate, if this climate was good…

I feel sorry for all of these desperate people, clutching some small redundancy payment and thinking that an LGV licence will be the solution to their problems, when so many experienced drivers cannot find work.

I hope you explain to your pupils that the chance of finding work with their new licence is virtually nil.

Suppose I’ve got to respond to this one.

Firstly, speaking for myself, the climate is very good thankyou. We are one of the few operators working with a debt free fleet. Having had a record year, dare I mention that there is another on order as well?!

I don’t feel in the slightest bit sorry for anyone wanting to join this industry; it’s my experience that the vast majority of our trainees either have work in the pipeline before they start or secure work very soon after passing. I’m well aware that that may not be the norm - but it’s a fact where we are.

When asked the question “are there jobs out there” our normal answer is along the lines of “it’s harder than it used to be. Don’t expect £700 a week and a shiny new Scania. Be prepared to start on skip wagons, tippers or whatever and expect to earn IRO £300 per week”. So I don’t lie and tell them that the chances of getting work is virually nil Because that would, IME, be a lie. Feel free to do a “mystery shop” and find out. We never, ever, make any promises of finding anyone work. We are a training establishment (a pretty good one at that) we are not an employment agency. From time to time we manage to put a trainee with an employer and that’s a bonus for all concerned. But, it’s never promised.
Maybe some of the reason that some experienced drivers struggle and new drivers get a start is below:

Just a quick question and this is the best place on the forum for it, because I’m aiming at people who are just starting out, rather than old hands.

What kind of work do you see yourself looking for? Would you be prepared to start on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning and then be away all week? Would you be prepared to spend weekends away? Or are you aiming to do a shift at work and then go home?

I’m asking because I will probably be putting a few trucks on the road next year and have always said that I would prefer new drivers with no bad habits who could be trained to do the job the way I wanted it to be done, but I am not even sure if anybody wants to do that sort of work any more, being away all week or for longer periods.

If you are just starting out, what are your thoughts on this?

from Harry Monk

Harry, Happy Christmas. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Merry Christmas everyone. :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all from Croatia, Split.

Happy Christmas and happy new year to all the guys n gals who use Trucknet :smiley:

I wish both Pete Smythe and John from Flair training every success in 2012 . Their contributions to the forums are invaluable . I had to resort to seeking guidance and advice on these forums after experiencing problems in reversing . At least using a newish vehicle / equipment , you avoid some of the problems which I esperienced

a. King pin jammed on test and would not release ( instructor advised to reverse very slightly after pulling up to prevent it jamming in future !! ) - the entire mechanism was subsequently replaced

b. Trouble selecting reverse - not a very good start to your test if you have trouble selecting gears - gear box was subsequently re built

c. Window jumped out of the sliding mechanism

d. Fault on the power steering

Well done to Pete for ensuring that candidates have the chance to learn in the most up to date vehicles .