MARITIME Update 2010

Hi, i know there are alot of Maritime post here but i was wondering if its pos to have the latest news about there “BUY & WORK” offer. The posts on here about it are a year or two old now and in this industry it changes all the time as we all know.

What i hope to fine out off you good people is is it worth going for, i’m thinking of taking my first steps into becoming an Owner driver and this seems the easiest way to get started.

So have any of you done this, brought one of their trucks recently and worked for them and hows it going? will i make a wage?

Any help would be great, many thanks in advance.

hi

one of my mates bought one about 6 months ago he just making enough to cover his costs and his finance and a little bit of a wage in my opinion not really worth doing :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

trucks are well overpriced

not a lot of earnings

i have not bought a truck off Maritime, i am not that stupid :wink:

i have spent three and a half years subbing for them though, i no longer have any vehicles on there (that alone speaks volumes)

i don’t want to get into a slagging match on a public forum, that is not my way, if you want anymore info, send me a PM and i’ll give you my number :wink:

shuttlespanker:
i’ll give you my number :wink:

Weren’t so keen to pass it onto me though were we Mr C :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that shuttlespanker, thats the picture i’m getting that its still aload of pony on there, just seemed an easy way of starting up.
If i could have made a small wage out of it and payed off the truck it might have been worth it at the end with what i would make selling the truck off and packing up. Just a thought. Hit it and get out. But like you say they jack the truck prices up to begin with.
Hope business is treating you well and if so long may it continue.

my boss enquied about buying a truck from maritime, he never mentioned the price that he was quoted but i did hear him mutter that they were way over the top with there prices and he wouldnt be dealing with them bunch of robbing [zb]

trucks are well overpriced just look around you will find a good one at half the cost

Update…in the truckstop news…NEW 6STAR DEAL FOR SUBBIES…lol yeah yeah!!! yawn

akaday:
Update…in the truckstop news…NEW 6STAR DEAL FOR SUBBIES…lol yeah yeah!!! yawn

Indeed…

i keep getting phone calls from the depot manager i used to work out of, asking me to come back.

obviously, the 6 star deal does not include a decent rate for the work or a relaxation of their draconian parking policy regarding your operating centre :unamused:

needless to say, i think my trucks will be staying where they are at present :wink:

Out of idle curiosity, what is that parking policy?

the majority of their parking policy, i would agree with, as in, no layby’s with a loaded container, can only park in selected truck stops or MSA’s (they have a list of places that you can and cannot park at, although, this list changes at very regular intervals :unamused: )

but, the part that really got at me was, for two and a half years, my operating centre was deemed as secure enough to park loaded containers in whether it be overnight or for the weekend, then all of a sudden, they changed their policy and it was no longer deemed as secure enough

this policy also coincidentally happened at a time when it went very quiet on the containers last year, we had already had a rate cut, dropping the earnings, then they dropped this on us too, it worked out that we were sometimes 2 jobs per week down on what we would normally do, coupled to the rate cut made it not worth working at all

in all that time, i had not had any issues with thefts or attempted thefts from any container in the yard.

but, what really boils my ■■■■ is, my yard is more secure than most of their yards, but that counts for nothing :smiling_imp:

out of all the subbies that i know on for Maritime, there is only one that can still take a loaded box back to his yard, that is because the person who went to give him a yard inspection was very nearly arrested for trespassing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: to get into his yard, he had to go through a VOSA pound and into the police compound where my mate has an allocated parking space

they have had containers broken into and trailers taken from their yards, but, nothing is said :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

they make the rules, you have to stick by them or leave, i made my decision :wink:

oh, and incidentally, they still have not increased the rates after they cut them last year, everyone else has given a rate increase without the need to cut them in the first place :unamused:

So…as an employee: Good. As a subbie: Bad. That’s settled that!

To work for them as a driver I was told by someone you have to live in a 30 mile radius of the yard and also the money is not that amazing depend what your use to. Top kit, coffee machine fridge mic oven and some of the new ones have built in tvs. Alarm bells ringing.

It used to be good.

hi akaday, i would suggest looking through commercial motor and finding a scania/volvo/daf etc that has the same spec mileage etc as a x maritime truck, give them a ring and get a price and then ring maritime and get a price rather than just listening to all this **** and then you can make a considered decision on their price, you may want to spend less and keep your monthly figures down, you could go to auction and buy a10 year old truck or buy a new one, just make your decision yourself I,m sure you know as well as i do that truckers love to moan. You’ll allways find those that want to whine before people who’ll be bothered to bull a place up, If thats what you want to do then ring them, do your sums and then you can decide for yourself. Make sure you know why you want to tread this path because you’ll never be rich unless you have a desire to expand. As a one truck operator i provide a good living for five of us,how ever my mortgage is about 400 a month, i know lads with 1000 a month (you’d struggle) your pesonal outgoings are what could be the biggest deciding factor for you.

robbo863:
hi akaday, i would suggest looking through commercial motor and finding a scania/volvo/daf etc that has the same spec mileage etc as a x maritime truck, give them a ring and get a price and then ring maritime and get a price rather than just listening to all this **** and then you can make a considered decision on their price, you may want to spend less and keep your monthly figures down, you could go to auction and buy a10 year old truck or buy a new one, just make your decision yourself I,m sure you know as well as i do that truckers love to moan. You’ll allways find those that want to whine before people who’ll be bothered to bull a place up, If thats what you want to do then ring them, do your sums and then you can decide for yourself. Make sure you know why you want to tread this path because you’ll never be rich unless you have a desire to expand. As a one truck operator i provide a good living for five of us,how ever my mortgage is about 400 a month, i know lads with 1000 a month (you’d struggle) your pesonal outgoings are what could be the biggest deciding factor for you.

Cheers for that mate. i might just do some ringing this week and i’ll post the diff prices on here if you’d all like?