Maritime

looking at being a subbie for Maritime, just wondering if any of you do it or know someone who does as i want to see what other people think of doing this work? also whats the money like?
an information will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

brown_764:
looking at being a subbie for Maritime, just wondering if any of you do it or know someone who does as i want to see what other people think of doing this work? also whats the money like?
an information will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ā€¦ NO!

Thereā€™s a box up in the top right hand corner of this page that has a magnifying glass in it with ā€˜advanced searchā€™ search next to it. Stick ā€˜Maritimeā€™ in there and prepare to be shocked at the horror stories that greet your eyes.

do you know rob im sick of people being baised against maritime.

go for it and sign up to thier scheme and you will get a big fancy lorry to go with projected earning Ā£42.73 a week. its a gold mine thats why everybody is doing it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

or you could of course follow robā€™s advise and use the search button.

Last time I looked at Commercial Motor,Maritime were advertising their offer.If the offer is so bad,which would seem to be the case, why does CM continue to allow the advert.And if Maritime think their offer is so good why donā€™t they sue all those slagging them off Iā€™m sure they know what opinion many have of them.Just a thought.No such thing as a free lunch,springs to mind.

thanks for the information, and yes a was shocked when i searched them :open_mouth: maybe i will have to look somewhere else.

zzz zzz zzz zzz :laughing: :laughing: Dont even go there fella!! :wink: :wink:

Armagedon:
Last time I looked at Commercial Motor,Maritime were advertising their offer.If the offer is so bad,which would seem to be the case, why does CM continue to allow the advert.And if Maritime think their offer is so good why donā€™t they sue all those slagging them off Iā€™m sure they know what opinion many have of them.Just a thought.No such thing as a free lunch,springs to mind.

Why would CM give a toss? The full page ads from the likes of Maritime etc are what pays for the production of the mag itself. Without those ads CM wouldnā€™t exist.

Rob K:

Armagedon:

Why would CM give a toss? The full page ads from the likes of Maritime etc are what pays for the production of the mag itself. Without those ads CM wouldnā€™t exist.

for once, i actually agree with you Rob :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Rob K:

Armagedon:

for once, i actually agree with you Rob :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Everyone does as some point. :wink:

In response to the comments by RobK I have taken a few moments to communicate to Chris Walton {Dep.Editor CM] regarding advertising by Maritime and others.Shall let you know in due course his response,if any.

Rob K:

Armagedon:

Exactly, Maritime and their like arnā€™t doing anything illegal, unethical maybe but does anyone in power care, Maritime make a profit, CM make a profit, they pay some tax, maybe each makes a donation to the labour party, Gordons attitude will be ā€˜ā€˜well done boys, keep it comingā€™ā€™

I for one know dam all really about work on the boxes except for what I read on here but:

Surely in this sorry business climate, Ā£15k gets you a bloody good 6x2 truck and Ā£5k gets you a bloody good sliding skelly :question:
Take that Ā£20k ā€œon the dripā€ over 5 years and even with all the other O/D extraā€™s thrown in you can still make ā€œsomeā€ money if youā€™ve half a brain :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: (Even working on the boxes for the usual suspects Maritime/Wincanton :laughing: )

Big Truck:
I for one know dam all really about work on the boxes except for what I read on here but:

Surely in this sorry business climate, Ā£15k gets you a bloody good 6x2 truck and Ā£5k gets you a bloody good sliding skelly :question:
Take that Ā£20k ā€œon the dripā€ over 5 years and even with all the other O/D extraā€™s thrown in you can still make ā€œsomeā€ money if youā€™ve half a brain :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: (Even working on the boxes for the usual suspects Maritime/Wincanton :laughing: )

Unfortunatly, Maritime want you to buy one of their big shiney trucks before you are garunteed regular workā€¦and they are overpriced. Maybe in a few years when the economy picks up then that plan would be a good one. (Or try one of the other container coā€™s that donā€™t have a buy with work scheme)

im on for maritime and semtex they dont require you to buy one of there trucks to get gurenteed work.im doing 2500kms plus a week getting all over the place,the problem is the rates on containers aint great no matter who you work for.your not gonna make a fortune but its steady reliable work and with regular payments.dont buy one of there old motors.buy a good reliable truck for around 10 grand and youll do ok.i know quite a few ownerdrivers on with maritime and they seem happy enough one of ems been on there for 5 years now.

Carl:
im on for maritime and semtex they dont require you to buy one of there trucks to get gurenteed work.im doing 2500kms plus a week getting all over the place,the problem is the rates on containers aint great no matter who you work for.your not gonna make a fortune but its steady reliable work and with regular payments.dont buy one of there old motors.buy a good reliable truck for around 10 grand and youll do ok.i know quite a few ownerdrivers on with maritime and they seem happy enough one of ems been on there for 5 years now.

I was under the impression that for new starts, the only way to go was with the buy with work scheme. Thats the impression I got from their website when I was nosing around when Bryans went ā– ā– ā– ā–  up. Obviously if you are already on for em then you will be ok, but I believe the OP was looking at going on as a new start.

If Iā€™m wrong then I apologise

Carl, i think you misunderstood what Semtex was saying, basically, if you already have a truck and subbie for Maritime, you are not on a minimum guarantee, whereas, if you buy one of Maritimes used trucks, they will put you on a minimum mileage guarantee, just because you are currently doing 2500KMs per week at the moment, that is all well and good, but when the work dies off, the ones who bought a Maritime truck will be given priority for the work available, as they are on the guarantee, you are not, they are not going to pay someone to sit around waiting for a job whilst they send someone else out who they would not have to pay.

Also, with this guarantee, you have to be available for every day that they require you, if you are not, they will not pay the minimum if you have not done it. What they have also been known to do is, if you have had a good week in week one, but a poor week in week two, but average over the two weeks is on or slightly above the minimum, they will take a job off week one and pay it on week two so that you will have earned the minimum without them having to pay extra to bring the second week up.

this is fact, i can supply names and phone numbers of subbies that this has happened to.

fair comment rob,semtex robs right mate i misunderstood what was asked,but i will say this then dont buy a maritime truck as i do know a subbie that was going to buy an 08 globetrotter last year from them and it turned out he could get a brand new volvo for less from his local dealer.

Carl:
fair comment rob,semtex robs right mate i misunderstood what was asked,but i will say this then dont buy a maritime truck as i do know a subbie that was going to buy an 08 globetrotter last year from them and it turned out he could get a brand new volvo for less from his local dealer.

a few yars ago, when Maritime were selling their 54 plate DAF XFs, i could get a same age, similar KMs, higher spec, bigger engine XF from a dealer Ā£5000 cheaper than their fleet spec units

in 2007, they were selling their trailers too, they were advertising ā€œbrand new 2006 Dennison 20/40 sliding skeletalsā€

when questioned about them, i was toild that i could not come and view any of their ā€œbrand new 2006ā€ trailers as they were not there, they were out being pulled by their units with containers on them

i duly informed the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in Tilbury, that this would make them ā€œusedā€, not ā€œnewā€, his reply was, they are brand new 2006, my reply was, we are now in 2007 :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

he wanted Ā£12,900 for them when i called, thing was, i bought a brand new one direct from Dennison, collected it from the factory, for Ā£12,200 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

a mate of mine called him about a trailer 2 hours after i had given him some abuse for being overpriced and was quoted Ā£13,900 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

he had put the price up another Ā£1000 in the space of 2 hours :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

when buying a truck from them with guaranteed work is it priority work over the man with the maritime t-shirt

my little grip on this, ,MODS why dont you make one of these maritime posts sticky, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and maybe people can read with out posting the wanna be clog wearing maritime tee shirt wearing o/d ā– ā– ? scheme route