maritime work

was wondering does anyone know much about maritime work ■■
im thinkin bout putting my own unit on the road and i see these guys are looking for owner drivers

try using the search button week in week out people ask the same question. not worth a w**k by the sounds of it

Amen to that. Save your wedge mate, if they advertise it ain’t worth a squirt of ■■■■.

Silver_Surfer:
Amen to that. Save your wedge mate, if they advertise it ain’t worth a squirt of ■■■■.

Thats hit the nail on the head, couldn’t have put it better myself. If all these firms in the truckstop papers where that good, then they wouldn’t need to advertise■■? :wink:

I dont agree with that really. Because Owner Drivers are abit of a dying breed and if a company if increasing its business as much as the likes of Maritime are, then they are always going to be needing Owner Drivers, I know for a fact that the likes of Maritime would rather reduce their own fleet abit and take on more owner drivers to replace them, for obvious reasons. Im not saying they are good to work for, im just saying the fact a company advertises dont neccesarily make them rubbish.

AaronR:
im just saying the fact a company advertises dont neccesarily make them rubbish.

IMO if they were anything other than rubbish they wouldn’t need to advertise continually in most of the trucking press as existing subbies would put extra wagons on. It’s a bit like jobs really, the best ones are generally never advertised.

Paul

There is money to be had at maritime , but as every where employed o/d etc its mostly down to if your face fits!!! Most say maritime is crap etc so it maybe but for some its v.v good, trouble is most will only tell you its crap etc when its been crap for them we did work for maritime and yer it was half decent mony i did say half decent, i just cannot do with containers to much sitting about most days mostly at f/liner and tip/collection points just not for me but yes you can make money at maritime
or some depots at least if your Face fits!!!

Well Ive been on with Maritime for about 6 weeks now and I’m quite happy with it.The planners I deal with seem switched on.The work is easy compared with other work I 've done.
At the end of the day has an Owner Driver you’ve got to pull your finger out and get on with it!
Its not going to make you rich,but there is a living to be made!
There’s some hanging about at customers, especialy hand ball jobs, but Ive been held up at Rdc’s for a lot longer.At least you can go for a walk and your not imprisoned in they’re premises.
So for all the mmtm folks out there give it a go yourself and then decide.

i would agree with both of the above comments, i used to subby for Maritime running distance out of Southampton, when i first started on there, it was very good earnings, so much so, i bought a 2nd and 3rd truck to go on there aswell

after a while, the work dropped drastically as the recession started to hit, then they hit us by saying that the yard wasn’t secure enough to take loaded containers back for the weekend, funny thing is, it had been secure enough for the previous 3 years :unamused:

the effect of that was to reduce the workload that we could do, then on top of they, Maritime cut the rates, making it a triple cut, Maritime said they had to cut the rates to keep the work that they already had, and try and get more work, but, most of the other companies doing the same work either he rates stayed the same or there was an increase

i now no longer pull for Maritime

make of that what you will

While it does to some extent boils down to what operator you may have, many owner drivers dont make it because they do not have that work ethic. As has been said on here many times over, its a business, not a hobby. Ive seen too many owner drivers sat in cafes moaning about how little they earn, with their blinged up trucks parked outside.

globby 480:
There is money to be had at maritime , but as every where employed o/d etc its mostly down to if your face fits!!! Most say maritime is crap etc so it maybe but for some its v.v good, trouble is most will only tell you its crap etc when its been crap for them we did work for maritime and yer it was half decent mony i did say half decent, i just cannot do with containers to much sitting about most days mostly at f/liner and tip/collection points just not for me but yes you can make money at maritime
or some depots at least if your Face fits!!!

i agree with globby… i used to do locals out of liverpool for them a few year back and the the rates were ok if you did 2 to 3 local jobs not going past manchester and if you had an ADR!!! :smiley: i wound’nt waste ya money mate think its about 1.32 a mile… if ya lucky