Many Many Drivers Out Of Work Now - Think First

There many many drivers out of work Now, so if you go ahead and train up don’t be surprised when you join that long queue for jobs right at the back. :unamused:
Still newbies coming on, “I have spent £1000’s and passed my test and can’t get a job / work”. Well, harsh as it is, we are not at all surprised. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
There is a major shortage of drivers jobs, not drivers. Just thought someone should warn you.

I am in the middle of waiting for my provisional etc to come through, Now i know it is going to be hard or impossible to get myself (as a noobie class 2) a job, but I am hoping, in the near future, things will pick up and i am able to have the career i have always wanted.

Can someone please tell me what it was like here for the HGV drivers class 1 or 2 before the recession hit? Also from past experiences/recessions, how long do these usually last…roughly.

At the end of the day people still need stuff transporting and food on shelves etc, this cant last for too long.

Once i get my licence, I am happy to sit on it and apply for the ones that pop up now and again until things pick up

Im doing my test on my 23rd birthday so im prepared for a long wait before i can even be touched for insurance anyway. Regardless of what state the country is in ive always wanted to be an hgv driver and without the licence ive no hope so might aswell get it and it’ll give me a better chance of my dream.

On a positive note there are more and more hgv driving jobs appearing in Northern Ireland on a daily basis so with a bit of luck the recession is starting to ease ever so slightly!!

Bump

The recession will start to ease about june time, so I’ve been told.
However the UK’s problem has been that the economy has been built on bricks and mortor but also cars,also a combination of people living in debt. It was bound to come crashing down at sometime or another just that was now.

If you have the money to spare then I would do it as the CPC is only 6 months away and although its a lot passing a theory and practical test there’s gonna be another 2 modules added to the test before they will even give you a licence.
But a lot of us have ‘grandfather rights’ now and only need to attend the training sessions :smiley:

NikNik:
The recession will start to ease about june time, so I’ve been told

Was his name Brown by any chance ? What you have said sounds like very wishful thinking indeed, if only you were right.

NikNik:
But a lot of us have ‘grandfather rights’ now and only need to attend the training sessions :smiley:

Hehehehe, that makes me feel old. :slight_smile:

Things will get better work wise, I don’t think there is any harm in taking LGV lessons right now as long as you don’t expect a job straight away.

Each month someone fails to get a job is another month they have held the licence and for some agencies that seems to be the main criteria.

To the new folk who have passed, don’t get too disconsolate, just keep plugging away with the job applications and eventually something will come along.

I would advise anyone that is contemplating doing A LGV course, especially in this current economic climate, to be prepared to spend the money but not use the licence for maybe 2 years.

That may seem harsh but is going to be the reality for many.

If you can afford it - do it now, then, by the time 2 years is up - the so called ‘experience’ time for a lot of agencies - this downturn should be nearly over and you will be in a good position to get LGV work.

Maybe taking a refresher near the end of the 2 years would be advisable :bulb:

Keeping the job you already have will give you an income and maybe, just maybe, there might be the odd agency day for you during those 2 years so sign up with a few agencies and see how it goes :slight_smile:

ROG:
I would advise anyone that is contemplating doing A LGV course, especially in this current economic climate, to be prepared to spend the money but not use the licence for maybe 2 years.

If you can afford it - do it now, then, by the time 2 years is up - the so called ‘experience’ time for a lot of agencies - this downturn should be nearly over and you will be in a good position to get LGV work.

Keeping the job you already have will give you an income and maybe, just maybe, there might be the odd agency day for you during those 2 years so sign up with a few agencies and see how it goes :slight_smile:

Whilst the industry is not at its best at present, there are still jobs available. Many of our trainees are finding work, although it is true that some are not. Certain sectors of the industry are ‘dead’, maybe in South Lincolnshire we are lucky as most driving jobs are in food distribution, and everyone has to eat!

I feel that you are putting off good potential recruits to the industry with your advice Rog, which coming from someone not totally involved in the industry at present, is not to be taken as ‘gospel’.

Let everyone make their own minds up, after having presumably made their own enquiries. With the Driver CPC coming in September, there has never been a better time to get qualified. Many may remember the pre1997 rush prior to the introduction of having to do Cat C before C+E.

Smart Mart:

ROG:

Whilst the industry is not at its best at present, there are still jobs available. Many of our trainees are finding work, although it is true that some are not. Certain sectors of the industry are ‘dead’, maybe in South Lincolnshire we are lucky as most driving jobs are in food distribution, and everyone has to eat!

I feel that you are putting off good potential recruits to the industry with your advice Rog, which coming from someone not totally involved in the industry at present, is not to be taken as ‘gospel’.

Let everyone make their own minds up, after having presumably made their own enquiries. With the Driver CPC coming in September, there has never been a better time to get qualified. Many may remember the pre1997 rush prior to the introduction of having to do Cat C before C+E.

I agree 100%
There are jobs in certain areas.
The Myth about No Jobs in the industry is putting of potential drivers.

The Myth about No Jobs in the industry is putting of potential drivers

Next thing is you’ll be saying there’s a shortage of drivers. :confused:

Smart Mart:

ROG:

Very valid comments above Smart Mart and just to add- check out C+E passed post by Aky31 :smiley: :smiley:

There is work out there- and hopefully more to come

ROG:

Smart Mart:

I tried to be realistic from the info that I have read in these forums but, as indicated by the bits in blue, I tried not to be too negative - perhaps some rewording help from someone who could put it better but truthful would not go amiss - any takers :question: :question:

Is it me? 3 posters saying no problems with jobs out there, and ALL driving instructors !!! Am I really that cynical that this could be a sales ploy?? no never, nobody would do that would they■■? sorry, the censor won’t let me reply to my own questions, at least “this time” ROG is right. If there are experienced drivers struggling to find work, where the hell are newbies gonna get jobs■■?

Good luk to aky31, he’s passed his test and got a job, but didn’t he have the job with the company before he took the test■■? very relevant, before you instructor salesmen continue with your pitches.

I’m another of the “out of work club”, not a nice place to be :cry: and I didn’t pass my test last week :unamused: I’ve done tippers (C+E) flats, fridges, boxes, tautliners and milk tankers. Tippers and tautliners in europe, so not exactly inexperienced, :wink: and am prepared to travel almost anywhere in UK for work, last job was running long haul away 2 wks at a time so distance not a major problem, and still can’r find/get a job.

Then you come along and say “there’s work out there, you just have to look” response would be censored (if not get me banned) so I won’t bother typing it.

Come out and live in the real world, try getting one of those jobs you tell us are out here :unamused: :unamused:

skorpio:
Is it me? 3 posters saying no problems with jobs out there, and ALL driving instructors !!! Am I really that cynical that this could be a sales ploy?? no never, nobody would do that would they■■? sorry, the censor won’t let me reply to my own questions, at least “this time” ROG is right. If there are experienced drivers struggling to find work, where the hell are newbies gonna get jobs■■?

Good luk to aky31, he’s passed his test and got a job, but didn’t he have the job with the company before he took the test■■? very relevant, before you instructor salesmen continue with your pitches.

I’m another of the “out of work club”, not a nice place to be :cry: and I didn’t pass my test last week :unamused: I’ve done tippers (C+E) flats, fridges, boxes, tautliners and milk tankers. Tippers and tautliners in europe, so not exactly inexperienced, :wink: and am prepared to travel almost anywhere in UK for work, last job was running long haul away 2 wks at a time so distance not a major problem, and still can’r find/get a job.

Then you come along and say “there’s work out there, you just have to look” response would be censored (if not get me banned) so I won’t bother typing it.

Come out and live in the real world, try getting one of those jobs you tell us are out here :unamused: :unamused:

Sorry to hear about your situation and there is nothing anyone on here wants more than to see guys NOT posting in the “out of work club”. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

The comment I personally made said THERE IS WORK OUT THERE-AND HOPEFULLY MORE TO COME which is no way a sales pitch but reality- every industry is feeling the pinch and god forbid mine might be the next one.

I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING HERE - merely not totally discourage the next generation of drivers from following there chosen career- it will be tough- it may take time- but the haulage industry IS NOT going to come to an end like mining did, we will always need road transport- this country is fully dependant on it

There are jobs … some driving jobs … and many other types of jobs…

To many people refuse to do certain jobs … if there are no driving jobs in your area there will be other jobs…

Some will say the money is crap …
Some will say i dont like the hours…
Some wont do any job apart from driving…
Some people just refuse to do any other work …

They should be made to do community work , like removing graffiti or cleaning hospitals etc…to get there dole money
…( If they refuse Stop there Dole Money )
And stop complaining about the foreign workers doing the jobs they wont do…

At the end of the day work is work and it pays the bills.

This post is not directed at anyone but there really are some lazy people out there who would rather become a couch driving potato…

skorpio:

I hear what you say skorpio, but I actually drive as well as instruct and balance the two quite nicely, other than I keep getting calls from my agency to see if I am available for work as they have work for me constantly it seems. It may be that I am absolutely superb as a driver, but I don’t think so! :smiley:

So I do feel i’m in the real world, and am no way touting for business as the firm I instruct for keeps me in more than enough work. There is such a lot of negativity on here - its just not a walk in anywhere and get a job industry anymore, you have to search out jobs with a personal approach IMHO.

Smart Mart:

Really :open_mouth:
I went to see 3663 and Brakes last week and they have nothing - and Brakes always used to have “drivers wanted” plastered over the backs of their trucks… :open_mouth:
Apparently another food distribution company (JJ Food Services) has opened a depot in Basingstoke and was told that they had a sign outside advertising for drivers, but alas the day after I was told it was gone… :open_mouth:
I really need to get off the buses before I end up smacking somebody, another driver is coming very very very close to it, and Im normally the most laid back bloke ever…

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
There are jobs … some driving jobs … and many other types of jobs…

To many people refuse to do certain jobs … if there are no driving jobs in your area there will be other jobs…

Some will say the money is crap …
Some will say i dont like the hours…
Some wont do any job apart from driving…
Some people just refuse to do any other work …

They should be made to do community work , like removing graffiti or cleaning hospitals etc…to get there dole money
…( If they refuse Stop there Dole Money )
And stop complaining about the foreign workers doing the jobs they wont do…

At the end of the day work is work and it pays the bills.

This post is not directed at anyone but there really are some lazy people out there who would rather become a couch driving potato…

I do agree in what you are saying but i have a class one and have being looking for work and been to interviews when no driving involved, and when i got there and there see your CV or the app form that you filled in the always ask the question why are you applying for this job,
as you have a class one licence i tell them the problem with the industry and there seam OK about why, but don’t get the job , so i asked the employers why i was refused and there were honest in the decision, there said you may not be committed to the job and could leave when the opportunity comes up for driving jobs. Did have another answer from one, he said we very rarely advertise for job as we have a loyal work force and in are opinion you would not be loyal to us as soon as an opportunity came you way you may leave and that adds cost to us.

So yes there is jobs out there that i mite be able to do but its up to the employer to give that job.

delboytwo:
I do agree in what you are saying but i have a class one and have being looking for work and been to interviews when no driving involved, and when i got there and there see your CV or the app form that you filled in the always ask the question why are you applying for this job,
as you have a class one licence i tell them the problem with the industry and there seam OK about why, but don’t get the job , so i asked the employers why i was refused and there were honest in the decision, there said you may not be committed to the job and could leave when the opportunity comes up for driving jobs. Did have another answer from one, he said we very rarely advertise for job as we have a loyal work force and in are opinion you would not be loyal to us as soon as an opportunity came you way you may leave and that adds cost to us.

So yes there is jobs out there that i mite be able to do but its up to the employer to give that job.

In which case you need to tailor you CV to the job you are applying for - be a bit creative with what you put in and what you don’t! :wink: