‘Driver Shortage’

I passed my class1 3 weeks ago, which I paid for myself. Also paid to complete the CPC stuff to obtain a CPC card.
I’ve been applying to job adverts off the usual places, indeed and total jobs etc.
I haven’t had a single reply in that time and when I view jobs I’ve applied to, indeed gives a statistic of how many applicants there has been for each job.
These adverts are averaging 50-250 applicants each.

I’m struggling to understand how there is a shortage of drivers given the amount of people applying to vacancies. The media, including industry media have been telling us how there is huge shortage. The government sent letters out to HGV licence holders begging them to consider returning to the industry.
The guys at the training school were insisting new passes would have a great chance at jobs.
My personal experience seems to indicate this is all absolute ■■■■■■■■.

Is the ‘driver shortage’ really just a smoke screen for a goods shortage because of brexit? Or is the industry just wanting to saturate the market to drive pay down?

I’m interested to hear others within the industries thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

Will be following this one as in a similar situation early next year. The difference being I did walk into a 7.5T job very easily.

I’m wondering the same, passed ~3 weeks ago myself, after being told I’ll be spoilt for choice. I do only have C2 so obviously not expecting as many opportunities, but all I’ve had so far is a few offers from an agency, mostly too far away for me to realistically do

There appears to be a number of C2 jobs for the same money I could get stacking shelves in Tesco, or everyone wants a year experience. Where are all these trucks sat around doing nothing we heard all about? And all of those huge sign up bonuses people were talking about? Had to borrow the money to train up, now I can’t get a job to pay it back

tarquin76:
passed ~3 weeks ago myself

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

My place are struggling for drivers.
Happy to take on new passes as well.
Tramping mostly.
We’re in Newport South Wales.
Currently more units than drivers…

In the general view of most who post on here, " Driver Shortage" really means “a shortage of drivers companies want to, or even can, hire”

First hurdle is the old “two years experience” caveat, which stems from the insurers. Most agencies will give you a chance even without the 2YE, but the rates won’t be good and you’ll probably get offered stuff other (more experienced) drivers have turned down.

Second hurdle is that without the experience, many newly qualified drivers don’t have the appropriate mindset to get by in the industry. True, some companies are good to their drivers, but many more (the majority?) are not and the “old school” ways may be very off-putting.

If you get even a sniff of something that doesn’t appeal, don’t knock it back, think of it as a medium-term investment in your own experience bank, which will pay dividends later.

And don’t be misled by notions of some kind of ‘brotherhood of truckers’ when you’re on the early rungs of the ladder, another driver will stiff you to get the shift you’re not sure you want.

Unless it’s all changed since I started out, but I doubt it…

tarquin76:
I do only have C2

Don’t knock class 2, plenty of jobs are Class 2-specific, Class 1’s cost more to buy and run so Class 2’s are still essential. Builder merchants aren’t going to send anyone out doing residential deliveries in a class 1, nor are refuse/recycling companies looking for Class 1 drivers.

tarquin76:
all I’ve had so far is a few offers from an agency, mostly too far away for me to realistically do

There appears to be a number of C2 jobs for the same money I could get stacking shelves in Tesco

We’re back to the medium-term investment in your own experience bank.

Funny that the media didn’t mention any of these issues when the industry was all over the front pages, with drivers supposedly earning more than doctors & solicitors. :unamused:

I applied to a handful of class2, obviously it’s not what I want to do but I think the experience may be valuable. Again tho, those jobs seem to attract a hell of a lot of applicants.

The difficulty I have, other than getting a job, is that I’m currently working as a service engineer, I fix trucks and vans and I make ok money doing so. Going into class2 is potentially a cut in pay, which I’m a bit loathe to do. It’s took me long enough to get where I am the now salary wise. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette etc, but it still feels a bit of a dodgy move. That also makes the agency route a very unattractive one, unless I can find somewhere that will throw me some weekend shifts.

In regards the experience required for insurers, some places are saying they can take new pass drivers, but are the transport managers actually on board with that? Maybe the new driver thing is being passed down from on high but the boots on the ground aren’t interested.

As a post note, I did receive an email today from a company to tell me I had made it through their first ‘sifting’ stage of recruitment. So there we go, progress!!

Zac_A:

tarquin76:
I do only have C2

Don’t knock class 2, plenty of jobs are Class 2-specific, Class 1’s cost more to buy and run so Class 2’s are still essential. Builder merchants aren’t going to send anyone out doing residential deliveries in a class 1, nor are refuse/recycling companies looking for Class 1 drivers.

I’m not knocking it and didn’t mean it to sound that way, more that there appears to me to be more of a shortage of C1 drivers than C2, so I have less options than someone who has the full C1

Zac_A:

tarquin76:
all I’ve had so far is a few offers from an agency, mostly too far away for me to realistically do

There appears to be a number of C2 jobs for the same money I could get stacking shelves in Tesco

We’re back to the medium-term investment in your own experience bank.

Funny that the media didn’t mention any of these issues when the industry was all over the front pages, with drivers supposedly earning more than doctors & solicitors. :unamused:

I completely understand having to do agency/lower paid work for a while to get experience, but even those jobs seem to be fairly scarce, even some of the local agencies need 3-6 months minimum experience so can’t sign up with them just yet. Technically I have some experience, driving buses for ~2 years, but no one seems too interested in that :unamused:

Yeah, from the outside it definitely looked like there were yards full of driverless lorries all over the country, with managers stood at the gate throwing wedges of cash at anyone with a license

Same experience here. Invested a lot of time and money in getting my license, expecting to walk into a job based on what the media has told us. That hasn’t been the case. No employer seems interested and it has left me almost broke and bereft of confidence.

Halfbott:
a] I passed my class1 3 weeks ago, which I paid for myself. Also paid to complete the CPC stuff to obtain a CPC card.
I’ve been applying to job adverts off the usual places, indeed and total jobs etc.
I haven’t had a single reply in that time and when I view jobs I’ve applied to, indeed gives a statistic of how many applicants there has been for each job.
These adverts are averaging 50-250 applicants each.

b] I’m struggling to understand how there is a shortage of drivers given the amount of people applying to vacancies. The media, including industry media have been telling us how there is huge shortage. The government sent letters out to HGV licence holders begging them to consider returning to the industry.
The guys at the training school were insisting new passes would have a great chance at jobs.
My personal experience seems to indicate this is all absolute ■■■■■■■■.

c] Is the ‘driver shortage’ really just a smoke screen for a goods shortage because of brexit?

d] Or is the industry just wanting to saturate the market to drive pay down?

I’m interested to hear others within the industries thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

Sorry to hear of your experience and hope that my response helps
a] advertisements are usually placed when an employer who seeks to attract a high number of applicants. Often they advertise to promote their company rather than the jobs. I am referring to industry in general. However most advertised driving jobs are genuine vacancies although often advertised while the current post holder is still working as they are seeking to attract someone already employed so the post is a few weeks down the line.

You need a new pass job to start with. Someone has said one needs a couple of years experience for insurance purposes. Not entirely true as many large firms are ‘self insured’ - due to this WILL take new passes. Virtually all ‘blue chip’ companies WILL take new passes and provide 2 weeks supervised driving. My firm give 4 weeks supervised driving which is over generous in my view.

You also need to follow industry etiquette when applying for jobs. Transport is a business based on ‘if the face fits’ - like many sectors of industry. GET OUT AND KNOCK ON DOORS - it is what they expect. Visiting a traffic office and saying the truth like you are looking for a job but not done much reversing yet and is there a chance of some practice with a driver trainer will be a far better approach. Yes you have a Class 1 licence but you acknowledge you don’t want to make mistakes with manoeuvring. EVERYONE knows starting off in the industry is likely to be a rocky start… one driver said to me the average is 4 bumps in the first 6 months. I have my own transporter trailer and so I knew the principles of reversing BUT with an artic trailer the pivot is different and needs practice like anything. A bundle of CVs and visiting is the best method by far.

b] When I entered the industry I was 50 yrs and there was a driver shortage then in 2014. It was when CPC was introduced and many older drivers nearing retirement decided not to bother. meanwhile immigration had started and many firms did not bother recruiting anyone English as wages were cut to minimum wage or thereabouts. The old training scheme disappeared… whereby a firm put you through the test and then deducted £25 per week from your wages for 2.5-3 years but in return for 3 years work guaranteed. That was a good scheme in my view. The likelihood of an accident in early days is high and with this scheme one remained in a job. Many firms no longer do the scheme and many young folk have not wanted to consider the outlaw of £3k to get C2 and C1. So for the past 10-15 years very few young folk have considered the industry.

Immigration then ‘saved the industry’. East Europeans could come here with their licence most of which were with a ‘tractor and trailer’ and no actual test. Bulgarians and Romanians have admitted such to me… but they’ve got by with a few bumps and managed.

Driving is a tough job - long hours and if one does tramping one’s rest days are not really days off to recuperate. Day one is catching up on extra sleep and not feeling like doing much else and day 2 is doing some house work/gardening in the morning, shopping for the following week and getting into bed about 2000 to be up for work at 0400. I certainly haven’t got on top of the garden for the last couple of years. Annual leave accrued I have taken every 10-12 weeks for domestic matters. There are folk who have managed to do 25-30 years of tramping but it’s a hell of a life. Many decide to try something else after a while… many have missed their children growing up.

c] Many companies have employed Europeans and cut wages. Is it fair that a forklift/pallet truck driver at an RDC earns £14 an hour and someone driving an artic gets £10-12. In my job I started on £9.50 per hour, had a rise in June of £2 and now another rise this Jan of £2 so still earning less per hour than the driver of a forklift. I must thank the Polish government for introducing a tax on second homes - which has brought about the mass exodus of many Polish to return home. Hence now the mass shortage… based geographically due to the exodus in the main.

d] Many companies are not training drivers as they are waiting for the government to permit ‘skills shortage immigration’ like we saw in the papers yesterday for care workers. Councils do not want to pay or recognise the profession - they get paid for the time they are at a house and NOT for travelling between. So in say 3 hours they may do one hours paid work at 3-4 house visits and the rest of the time travelling unpaid. How can these poor souls make a living and survive financially? So you are right in my view there is some politics from the transport industry waiting to unfold… again. Like the food industry I think we will see the majority (currently about 50% increased to 70-80%) of drivers being of foreign origin with their ‘tractor and trailer’ licence.

End of my epistle! You need a job so PM me with your phone number and a time to chat - if you want help job hunting in the East Midlands (Peterborough, King’s Lynn, Spalding, Wisbech). I can give you about 20+ firms needing drivers if you are considering a move to the area. You will be in work within a week… maybe a fortnight as we are in the festive period. Even if you don’t want to move I could help you get a job to give you 6 month temporary experience and then you are ‘on your feet’. I’m off until 06jan22 so happy to help anyway I can.

Halfbott:
I applied to a handful of class2, obviously it’s not what I want to do but I think the experience may be valuable. Again tho, those jobs seem to attract a hell of a lot of applicants.

The difficulty I have, other than getting a job, is that I’m currently working as a service engineer, I fix trucks and vans and I make ok money doing so. Going into class2 is potentially a cut in pay, which I’m a bit loathe to do. It’s took me long enough to get where I am the now salary wise. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette etc, but it still feels a bit of a dodgy move. That also makes the agency route a very unattractive one, unless I can find somewhere that will throw me some weekend shifts.

In regards the experience required for insurers, some places are saying they can take new pass drivers, but are the transport managers actually on board with that? Maybe the new driver thing is being passed down from on high but the boots on the ground aren’t interested.

As a post note, I did receive an email today from a company to tell me I had made it through their first ‘sifting’ stage of recruitment. So there we go, progress!!

Sorry i missed this post of yours or didn’t read it carefully enough to register.

Are you a qualified technician - ‘fix’ is not clear. If you are I am surprised the firm have not put you through the test. If you do bodywork repairs then a bit different. You could do week end work with an agency to get some experience but why not visit a few firms who would employ you as a technician with some driving. My firm would be overjoyed to have a technician doing some technician work as required and driving other times. You would then remain a technician and also be a driver as far as future employment status goes. To give up being a technician and becoming a driver as far as employment goes would I feel be a retrograde step.

You do not seem to be job hunting with the right focus tbh.
Multi-skilled is a strong position to be in.

Meeting people is the best route for you NOT applying for jobs having an HR lass read your CV.

our place has been trying to recruit 10 Class 1 drivers for ages…got 2 but still looking for another 8. we’ve had many come and go in that time,some lasting 2 days,or 2 or 3 weeks or so,before bailing out. easy work imo but many don’t like the double deckers that we have quite a few of,or the long runs/hours.paying decent money as well,but the poor old TM is pulling his hair out!

carryfast-yeti:
our place !

Anymore to go on?

stu675:

carryfast-yeti:
our place !

Anymore to go on?

You could always PM carryfast-yeti to get more info :bulb:

There is a driver shortage, but consider that your application probably makes it clear you are a new pass without experience. Going for jobs on job sites which are likely to attract many applicants perhaps isn’t the most likely scenario to land a job. Also, just before Christmas isn’t really a time when most places have the time to give new passes some reversing practice or to get them out accompanied.

Perhaps a local small firm or agency driving is the best way forward until you have around 6 months experience. You will know yourself when you can get on a bay in a reasonable time that you have a chance of passing an assessment for example.

It all depends what you are up for. Would you be willing to go out yourself? It can be quite a daunting thing because after passing all you can really do is a reverse to the left, which doesn’t replicate what you may be asked to do.

There us definitely a driver shortage, there has been for years. It has been made much more noticeable over the last two years, due to a number of causes, but the shortage is most definitely there.
Having said that, the run up to Christmas isn’t the best time for a newbie to find work. Most of what is on offer is from agencies filling seasonal vacancies, with the vast majority of those being filled by experienced drivers who present a lower risk of having accidents and causing damage. Wait until later January to mid February, see what’s on offer then, shouldn’t be to difficult to find employment, either permanent or through an agency

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sorry lads…i had 2 private messages,and replied but they went to the wrong place somehow :confused:
i’ll check with the TM what the situation is next week.we are located off J.21 of the M1 btw.

carryfast-yeti:
sorry lads…i had 2 private messages,and replied but they went to the wrong place somehow :confused:
i’ll check with the TM what the situation is next week.we are located off J.21 of the M1 btw.

Thanks!

I passed my Class 2 in Oct 2020 but due to a serious illness within my family I couldn’t look for work until Aug 2021. I initially struggled even for replies to the applications I’d made so I changed my CV & covering letter and got a number of hits straight away.

I’ve been with an Agency contracted out to the same company for the last 5 months (Aug-current). The money is better than I thought at £17ph with a guarantee of 8 hours per day. However, the Agency is now starting to make noises which suggest they’re going to offload a few drivers or try to switch them to less desirable work/pay/hours.

With this in mind I’ve been looking at job adverts and it’s noticeable that the hourly rates on offer have dropped from back in Aug to now, I’ve seen a number of jobs advertised at £9.20 per hour!

So, my question is; now that the media have done with the story are the Industry leaders trying to drive the wages back down to the pre-shortage levels?