MAN 440 "10" plate mpg?

I’m getting 6.93 mpg / 2.94 kmpl, anyone doing better?

OWLDRIVER:

yes :sunglasses: split the box :laughing: and use gears marked 5/6/7 and 8! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: you might get ten to the 4.54litres! :wink:

OWLDRIVER:

What weight you pulling :confused:

I’m driving a R440 topline 13 plate on mixed weight container work, I returned 8.99 mpg for January.

No doubt I’ll get told that I’m a numpty and others would do better :unamused:

daf cf between 10.6 and 13

Depends what your doing if your doung curtainsiders up the motorway it sounds poor if your dragging a low loader round with lots of stop start its pretty good.
Generaly speaking the d20 engine is pretgy frugal on fuel

The lowest my old 11 plate TGX 26.440 did was around 7.5 mpg on a tank full, that was probably 44 tons (ish). Most of the time she was returning between 8.5 & 10.5 carrying anything from 2/3 tons up to 28 tons (44 tons gross)

What about checking the fuel & air filters ?

How heavy is your right foot & are you a stop/starter or do you keep her rolling ?

(keep them doggies rollin, Rawhide !)

OWLDRIVER:

You might want to change that question to “Anyone doing worse?”, just to get a bit of competition going - seeing as how everybody and their granny could probably “do better”!! :laughing: :wink:

Do you haul radioactive material in lead-lined containers by any chance■■? What GVW are you running at? 100 tonnes!!!

OWLDRIVER:

What method have you used to calculate this result , ? could it be that you need to replace your calculator or perhaps new batteries ?.

Full auto, pulling 44 most of the time…?

OWLDRIVER:

Sounds like either the truck’s faulty or your right foot’s faulty.

Is this your own truck? I ask because I suspect that if you had an employer he would have dragged you over the coals by now. It must be costing him an absolute fortune on fuel! :open_mouth: !!

OWLDRIVER:

Using auto, thats why, the box is bloody useless, you’ve got to control the revs (on hills let it lug right down to 1000rpm) and manually be in the right gear to make progress at junctions without the intermnable wait for the poxy box, this, if you adopt the overrun technique on long approach to junctions (using exhauster properly) without braking at all if possible, and change up @ 1400rpm max, should see a 1.5 to 2 mpg improvement on your present figures.

To be fair much depends on terrain, mine will return 8.5 to 9.1 'ish on motorway runs @ 44t, but on a particularly hard 1 hour cross country run i do where every roundabout/junction leads to a long uphill climb will see it down to 6.5…some others get the same run down to 5.5… :open_mouth:

10.6 last week…on my 480 6x2 mostly heavy

some of these old boys need to learn how to work a modern auto :grimacing:

commonrail:

10.6 just reminded me, one of our mates reckoned his was 10", my droll mate Dougie asked him if he measured from the back of his ar… anyway, thats very good going, i can’t get near that (about 9.4 maybe a fraction over if a perfect run/weather) @ full weight with the 440 which is geared presumably standard 55mph = 1300 rpm…is the 480 higher geared or does the extra 40hp let her lug better up the hills…or am i still a learner?.. :blush:

When the tga came out I worked for Tesco here (Ireland) we got the 360hp version and that fuel figure was better than our fleet ever got, they got shot of them quick.

Juddian:

commonrail:

10.6 just reminded me, one of our mates reckoned his was 10", my droll mate Dougie asked him if he measured from the back of his ar… anyway, thats very good going, i can’t get near that (about 9.4 maybe a fraction over if a perfect run/weather) @ full weight with the 440 which is geared presumably standard 55mph = 1300 rpm…is the 480 higher geared or does the extra 40hp let her lug better up the hills…or am i still a learner?.. :blush:

my fuel figures are worked out by the office(not the on board computer)…although 10.6(may have been 10.06)was a bit of a jump from last weeks 9.33,so who knows.

i don`t know about the gearing,but the extra 40 horse…certainly makes for a more relaxed ride,especially in south wales…where i spend alot of my time.

i set my cruise on 53mph…and i drive it up hills on cruise…but switch off just as i go over the top.the rest is just common sence driving…not roaring upto a red light etc.
i dont go for the straightlining roundabouts tactic,coz if someone shoots round at the last second without signals(highly probable)...youre massively in the wrong gear.
i prefer to imagine the giveway line is set back about 20 feet from its actual position,and as i cross it, a dab on the throttle will have me in the correct gear,for a prompt getaway. I dont think your a learner ian,but im on my 4th MAN now so maybe im the ■■■■■■■■ on this particular make of tru…sorry,lorry :wink:

And of course…you have 2 different set ups.fleet box and proffi.
I have the proffi box, and as any good auto driver will know…it can be manipulated with the throttle.