Scania p230 mpg?

Just been given my first scania absolutely inlove with my new pride and joy but god does it drink diesel any ideas how much I should be getting from it I’m barely creeping past 9mpg (on the trip computer) I can’t drive it anymore carefully if I tried!

Sounds about right for a loaded vehicle.

Dunno mate but dont sound too great I average 20ltrs per 100 k which according to a online converter table is around 11.5 mpg but I have had a few 17ltrs per 100k when little trafic on a long ish run 400k round trip which is 14mpg this is in a daf cf 55 220 manual

Edit - I use the cruise whenever possible, exhaust break when coming up to junctions and our limiters are set at 83 kph which help alot

Is that 230 HP? The trouble with the lower powered trucks in my oppinion is that its working hard all the time and so uses fuel alot.
The piece of crap i drive is only a 290 for 26 ton on 10 tyres with all the drag they bring along plus double drive, i barely get 6 mpg.

My R420 gives an average of 7.5mpg with a fair bit of PTO that’s an 8x2 running a fair bit of local / short runs usually empty one way 75-100% loaded on return

Gembo:
Is that 230 HP? The trouble with the lower powered trucks in my oppinion is that its working hard all the time and so uses fuel alot.
The piece of crap i drive is only a 290 for 26 ton on 10 tyres with all the drag they bring along plus double drive, i barely get 6 mpg.

290 for 26 Tonne!!! That’s asking a lot from the poor thing.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

Funny you should say that FB, turbo seized on it Thursday, its off the road as we speak :laughing:
Just in the middle of getting a little vid up of the episode with its associated “sound track” :laughing:

8wheels:
My R420 gives an average of 7.5mpg with a fair bit of PTO that’s an 8x2 running a fair bit of local / short runs usually empty one way 75-100% loaded on return

That just proves my point with higher powered motors. thats a huge saving over mine in the space of a year! You also have more rubber in contact with the road too.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

It doesn’t seem that long ago that most trucks weren’t much bigger than the requires 6 hp per tonne, I remember moving up ton 38T with a 240 Gardner, average of 5.3 mpg though

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

290 at 26 tonne 11.16hp per ton, similar to a 500 at 44 tonne 11.36hp per tonne,
I would of thought thats not a bad average, how many drivers woulg give a right arm to drive a 500 over a 420?
Back to the op Im guessing youve go a 18t, depending on weight/body type/work/and how new it is, 9mpg would be good to average, a flat on good runs loaded light a bit more, or a fridge on multidrop that would be OK.

pig pen:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

290 at 26 tonne 11.16hp per ton, similar to a 500 at 44 tonne 11.36hp per tonne,
I would of thought thats not a bad average, how many drivers woulg give a right arm to drive a 500 over a 420?
Back to the op Im guessing youve go a 18t, depending on weight/body type/work/and how new it is, 9mpg would be good to average, a flat on good runs loaded light a bit more, or a fridge on multidrop that would be OK.

Yeah, ive thought of it like that. I can remember driving 38 ton with 320 ERF’s and Fodens back in the early 90’s but 290 at 26T just seems like bloody hard work.

my p310 4 wheeler does 12mpg on local tipper work!

the on board display shows well over 10 in mine,but the traffic office have calculated it at just over 8

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

I has a 310 Scania 8x4 twin bin skip wagon for a while. And it was extremely tired on a T plate 6 years ago, saw it a couple of years ago still working!

FarnboroughBoy11:

I used to run 38 tonne with a 290 in the early 1990’s. Leyland Roadtrain with a 290 ■■■■■■■ engine in it and a 10 speed crash box. It’d do OK but you’d be down to around 30MPH chugging up Windy Hill fully freighted.

pig pen:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Gembo:

Yes that it similar now you put it like that.
But the torque curve would be far higher on a 500 at 44T than a 290 and 26T wouldn’t it?
What I mean is, just because the HP per Tonne is similar or let’s say exactly the same for e.g would it mean that they will be equally matched pulling their respective weights on the same uphill gradient if they were side by side?

290 for 26T would be ok in my book, I always thought the golden rule these days was to knock around the 10bhp/ton mark.

We average about 9 for a 340bhp DAF 8x4 Tipper (Empty weight is just over 11 tonnes) which we’re pretty pleased with.

I drive a G230 and it averages about 13mpg.
We have a P230 with a lower body than mine and the driver regularly gets 14mpg.

Thanks all I’ve been driving a 280 man m2000 for past 8 years and I swear that’s better on fuel the scania is so much comfort and nicer to be seen in but I wish I could swap the lumps over scanias fine empty but give it a load and a hill and that’s it down through the gears you go that old man never budged I’ve had it upto 11mpg today but that was mainly motorway I spend most of the time local I always plan ahead rarely come to a stop at lights and try to keep of the breaks as much as poss I can’t see what more I can do thought I’d check before the gov started wondering why I’m handing in to many fuel receipts maybe he’ll chip it for me :slight_smile:

Has the scania you drive got opticruise? Rather than a conventional manual box,I drive a fridge unit p230 with opticruise and find driving in manual is a lot more economical. In auto mode it tends to rev right over the green band and selects every gear when in manual you can block change ie 2>4 etc…
If it is opticruise then set it to pull away in 2nd as they come from new set at 1st gear for pulling away.
I use cruise whenever possible even round town if its safe to do so and regularly return 10-13 mpg doing multidrop round town.