Scania p230 mpg?

No it’s manual 4 over 4 I tend to pull off 2nd to 4th on a flat or slightly down hill problem is it has a clutch saver so on a gradient can be fun pulling off in anything but first I am going to try and use cruise control when possible and see if that makes a difference tommo I shouldn’t be that bothered its not my fuel bill but like to look after my wagons if there’s something I can do better to get more out of it ill try if you know what I mean.

Our P230’s (18t) where I work rarely get over 9.5mpg showing on trip computer and been shown that on the TM’s computer from calculated km’s done to fuel taken on board it was more like 8.9mpg at best!
But we do a lot of multi-drop work in towns and London as a whole. Run out fully loaded and return maybe with 1t possibly 1.5t on board with empties and any collections neccessary.

For note we are driving with opticruise on 57-59 plates.

Office never complained about fuel return averages. But if I was running them I’d be slighlty disappointed in the returns. Good job I’m too poor to run a transport company. :laughing:

C

9mpg for such a vehicle does not sound anywhere near right to me unless, as mentioned by someone else, you’re in stop-start heavy traffic all day, every day.

I have driven an 09-plate 290hp 6x2 Axor rigid which went out at about 22t and came back with about 1t’s worth of recycling, empties and so on. Absolutely gutless up hill but even so it would do 12.5-13mpg on a good, mostly motorway run with no weather problems to drag the figure down.

That’s keeping it in the green, let it lug right down to 1200rpm before dropping a gear, exhaust brake and cruise control as much as possible and running at 85k, with the rear-lift up as soon as it would allow.

Gearing is also something to consider - if it’s revving out of the green on the limiter then it stands to sense it will guzzle fuel. Above-mentioned Axor was right in the middle of the green at 85k, doing 1500rpm.

Gembo:
Is that 230 HP? The trouble with the lower powered trucks in my oppinion is that its working hard all the time and so uses fuel alot.
The piece of crap i drive is only a 290 for 26 ton on 10 tyres with all the drag they bring along plus double drive, i barely get 6 mpg.

i am driving a P280 26 tonne MGW and i am doing 10 - 12 MPG. 9 sounds about right but with a lighter foot you be even better lol

I do spend most of my time around town I’d say maybe a third of my driving a day is motorway so maybe I’m expecting a bit much just seems about 450km on a £230 tank aint alot :slight_smile:

Ive got a 26t p260 six wheel flat, shes 13year old and mainy used on agricutural products ie hay n straw and potatoes and fencing products and she does about 11 to 12 mpg, shes not as fast as some but not far behind.

That’s good going must admit as nice as mine looks I do like the older scanias maybe one day ill get to buy myself a 143 centurion and restore still another 40 years of getting up at 6 yet :frowning:

We got three p340’s 6leg flats in out yard. I’ve driven two of them and they both run at 9mpg. Both pulled like trains when new but, they’re 5 and 8yr old now and felt tired last time I drove them. I had a real old Xreg FM7 250 6leggerfor a while, that was running at 11-12mpg at 12yr old before it was sold off, it only fault was it couldn’t climb with that little engine in it.

I think I’m around about right then with mine it spends most off the day loaded my old MAN which we still have had a 280 lump that just pulled like a train and never struggled with alot where as the scania feels when loaded that its trying to bloody hard, nice truck by the way Stevie dug that’s the same truck I learnt in all be it it had a box on the back it looks well looked after!

Seems about right in honesty thats basically what im getting out of the one i drive.

they really could do wit a little more umph im constantly in AH with my foot right to the floor. Poor wagon :frowning:

Lot of hills round your way then! :laughing:

They are gutless motor’s even when unloaded, I do pity them. But I do love getting a chance to drive the DAF manual 6 speeds, man do they fly loaded or unloaded compared to the Scania, can’t remember the horse they are now though, so maybe that’s the all important thing here. :confused:

C

Constantine:

They are gutless motor’s even when unloaded, I do pity them. But I do love getting a chance to drive the DAF manual 6 speeds, man do they fly loaded or unloaded compared to the Scania, can’t remember the horse they are now though, so maybe that’s the all important thing here. :confused:

C

We have a P280 at our place as well, I always hope i get that one in the morning! Goes like stink in 5th and 6th and part of 7th.

Shame the p230 are so gutless. Because i dont think there a gutless motor, i may be completely wrong but i think its a mixture of the gearbox and the amount of boost the turbo puts in through the range. In honesty though i would choose the scania over our dafs anyday, more because i feel i know that truck more and feel more confident driving it, and with the multidrop and the streets we head down i need to drive a truck im confident in! :smiley:

Our Daf LF cabbed 6 speed rigids go like stink, pull off in 2nd loaded or empty, and really want to get going, the CF 6 speed cabbed rigids are slow as hell compared which is strange as surely they have the same running gear?

drummerkev:
In honesty though i would choose the scania over our dafs anyday, more because i feel i know that truck more and feel more confident driving it, and with the multidrop and the streets we head down i need to drive a truck im confident in! :smiley:

You’re are seriously right, that is very important for anyone and rightly so. As you will do a much better job if you have confidence in the tools given.

Hahahaha I’m the opposite, but I do understand what you mean. I haven’t taken a photo of the DAF yet too know what model it is. But I know this I love manual straight six speed in these hire motors. They fly for me as NewLad says! Not tried pulling away in 2nd fully loaded, don’t want to strain that clutch too much especially on a 1000km motor! But they really want to get flying as soon as possible and the brakes pull up fast which is equally as important if not more so.

I just don’t understand the Scania’s lack of pull or why they allowed it, as I always feel vunerable in them especially pulling off roundabouts loaded/unloaded!

Just don’t like this particular model of Scania, perhaps if I drove a 280 I may change my mind.

I know this most people complain the DAF’s are too basic…I choose them :open_mouth: So I do get given them more often than not now, as it stops the infighting of the precious ones then! Something about an “agency driver shouldn’t be driving company vehicles because the damage them” :unamused: Hahahaha I notice the company vehicles are properly dented, torn curtains and the general body work is more battle scarred than an APC in Afghanistan having only one “proper” driver “looking after it”.

I noticed the hire vehicles I drive come back with; don’t have dents/cracks/smashed markers/black tape holding things on and forever going into the dealership for bodywork repairs. Hahahahahahaha let them believe what they want though. It helps them feel superior and sleep at night…when we know the truth about their capabilities :smiling_imp:

Back on subject I am interested to know what the DAF’s mpg should be to compare the two now. Especially on a manual to auto, to make sure that expensive computer is better at judging gear changes etc than me! :wink:

C

Constantine:

C

The man I had or still have we haven’t sold em yet just pulled like a train fully loaded cruise control on the motorway you hit a gradient that thing didnt budge off 56 the scania I was shamefully struggling to hit 45 this morning on the same part I’d fly up in the man which is on an 03 plate and has years left in it, the scania is so much more comfortable and looks nicer I wonder if it will still be going in 10 years time like my old one was, scanias fine empty still sluggish but I’m not looking to win races in it but as soon as its loaded it struggles, it does feel as if the gear ratios want tweaking you just don’t seem to get no boot out of the lower range and changing down when your struggling does sod all def not a powerful enough motor for a weighty truck I’m hitting the mid 10mpg but seem to be filling it up a ■■■■ site more than on my 10 year old tank!

Some of the mpg figures being quoted for 18/26T on this thread seem absolutely dire unless they’re on very, very fuel hungry work.

Own Account Driver:
Some of the mpg figures being quoted for 18/26T on this thread seem absolutely dire unless they’re on very, very fuel hungry work.

Seems about par of the course these days tbh, trucks these days are so bloody heavy when they add pig wee and all that crap.

As I said above, we call 9 from an 8x4 good going!

EB…10-13mpg seems a bit high for the rigids on town work with those dumbass fridge motors running off the truck engine all day (or are the new’uns running a donkey engine now?), especially pulling away in 2nd all day and them not knowing which gear to go in when slowing down if used in auto… I always used manual. We used to consider 7mpg good on ours at Abingdon. I used to reset the box to start in 4th, so it would go, at worst, 6 to 4th when slowing and not bypass a few and slot into 3rd! If heavy, you can always manually knock it down a couple if needed.

Drummerkev…running round in AH with ya foot buried won’t help the mpg much!

And from what I’m reading, some want their truck to get away quicker than their car, despite it weighing at least 8-9t more and and want a to return 20 to the gallon!