R420 MPG

Hi All,

I’m currently running around in a '08 R420 that I was given yesterday and wondering what average MPG you manage out of them?

Truck in question has 272kms on clock and manual box.

Thanks.

Hi I drove one for warrens only carrying 30-38 ton and got 10-11 mpg oh 06reg and more mileage then the space shuttle

It will vary depending on what sort of work you are doing but cant see it being out startling

Dont often run heavy but with about 15 tonne on it will do round 10, thats in a 480 3 pedel auto.

Edit, sometimes run with a bulker on and reckon it does about 8ish then.

My 8x2 does about 8mpg but it’s not your long distance type work. Lots of short local work totalling 250-300km / day quite a bit of idling and a fair bit of PTO for good measure. Anything between 16t empty and 32t with 3 pedal Opti. 59 plate 152k km

manual with nearly a million kms on it does around 7mpg ish running at 44 tonne or 11 with empty trailer. Overall average is usually 8.8mpg ish

As above, better on fuel and pull better than later 440 despite lower top gear, even on car transporter work could get 7.5 overall which is good.

One of the best working trucks of recent years IMO, especially with a proper gearbox.

Juddian:
As above, better on fuel and pull better than later 440 despite lower top gear, even on car transporter work could get 7.5 overall which is good.

One of the best working trucks of recent years IMO, especially with a proper gearbox.

Be nice if they were abit more comfy though.

On my last wagon,07 auto r420, I was getting an average of 8.2. Now got an 11 auto r440 and am getting about 7.8. Running full weight mostly with a 14’6 chipliner.

Saaamon:

Juddian:

Be nice if they were abit more comfy though.

I’d agree with that, but overall if you were an OD looking for a reliable used reasonably economical lorry you could do far worse.

RobTrucker:
Hi All,

I’m currently running around in a '08 R420 that I was given yesterday and wondering what average MPG you manage out of them?

Thanks.

Used to do a run from East Yorks to Bristol in a tanker fully loaded at 44 tonnes, discharge for an hour using the onboard pump and then drive back empty. For the trip I used to average 11-12MPG. Virtually all motorway apart from 10 miles at each end.

Conor:

RobTrucker:
Hi All,

Thanks.

Used to do a run from East Yorks to Bristol in a tanker fully loaded at 44 tonnes, discharge for an hour using the onboard pump and then drive back empty. For the trip I used to average 11-12MPG. Virtually all motorway apart from 10 miles at each end.

I was thinking of starting a sweepstake on how long it took you to tell us how amazing you are.

i have two of these

both 07 opticruise , nearly 850k on both

one revs to 1200rpm with a an overdrive top gear - averages 9.5-10mpg on continuous motorway fridge work , second revs at 1450rpm and averages 8-9mpg same job - both euro 4

other trucks (older) euro 3 54-06 regs in fleet all average 10mpg + on same job - euro 4 stinks , got an 11 plate euro 5 on rent - averages low 9,s

bring back euro 3 in my opinion

joe

I’ve got an 07 auto man XXL 440 euro4 on container work various weights,run around at 50…never below 8.5 & can get as much as 10.5…Saving an arm n a leg since i sold the 164 580 i can tell you…Saving atleast £200 a WEEK!!!