M6 Toll

Anybody here use the M6 toll road? If so does your firm pay for it? Are there any haulage firms out there mad enough to pay for their trucks to use it?

Made my way up to Ellesmere Port from Colchester, road signs had congestion m6 jct 4 to 5, m6 toll clear, then saw the fee board, 9.40 for arctics plus extra for trailers?!?!?! What a con I thought, only someone like stobarts would pay such a thing :unamused:

And the reason for the congestion? Overhead signs set to 50mph, cars slamming on their brakes to 40mph and slowing everyone up as usual :unamused:

I was told Stobart drivers have to use it if they are using the M6.

Grayham:
What a con I thought, only someone like stobarts would pay such a thing :unamused:

Yes they do and it’s brilliant! Straight through no worries.

Can also recommend the Norton Canes services - ÂŁ18 with ÂŁ10 meal voucher (also paid by Stobarts). No noise, no smell and plenty of room. I stop there at every opportunity when needs arise. Cameras all over as well which is a bonus.

Even have a tag so there is no queuing at the tolls, straight through the wide load bit…you would be surprised at the actual time it can save using the toll road especially at busy times. My mate (who can’t use it) was almost with me and I went up the toll road and he stuck it out on the main M6. I was at stoke (J16 as he was at 8/9 M5) I was stress free and he was wound up - gotta be worth it esp if company pays as well. :smiley:

We can use it in peak times but we must get authorization from traffic & it must be fisable i.e to save being late for a booking in time.

Is the the average cost of running a truck not 50 quid a hour?..sure i read that somewhere :open_mouth: so for the big hitters stobart etc it would work out cheaper to pay the toll than to have the truck ■■■■■■■ in traffic.

I use it. Quite reguarly. No lost time. Stopping/ starting increases Fuel/ wear and tear. Less chance of some clown running into you. All with the added bonus of 20 mins of stress free driving, time out. It’s time dependent. Between 7-10 am and 1600 - 1900 i’ll use the toll automatically. I also pay by Tag.

Royal Mail & Nft regular users.

We use it on the odd occasion we venture that far.

On an out and back job from Essex, it’s nice to know that your journey round Brum will be trouble free.

Talking to a Mercedes driver trainer once who told me that (in an Actros) at 44tonne to accelerate from zero to 56mph costs ÂŁ1. You only have to do that a handfull of times to make the toll look very attractive.

Gotta admit, it’s one of a very limited few exceptions to my “I don’t pay to drive your truck” mantra.

Sometimes I they’ll pay it, sometimes they won’t. Depends mainly on timings of jobs/delay on M6/or whether there’s an R in the month :unamused:

Although, I have to confess to being “amused” by a conversation I had with the buffoon in the office when I was already on it . . .

Buffoon “Think about using the toll road”

Me “I’m already on it”

Buffoon “Well, you won’t get it back because you weren’t pre-authorised to use it”

Me “Okay. No problem. I’ll pull into Stafford and let John catch up with me, then we’'l both be 2 hours late”

Buffoon “Erm. Er. Erm erm. I’ll ring you back”

Knob :unamused:

I encourage my guys to use it if they think it’s going to save time, and means they can get that extra delivery made.

They have Tags, so no need even to stop at the barrier.

Owner drivers aside, it seems that if the boss pays USE IT, if not DON’T

Gates:
As it is a toll road is it under the same law as any other road ?

YES - same road traffic laws apply
confirmation of above from POLICE CENTRAL M’WAY GROUP 0121 626 1285

At my old firm they used to insist on us using at peak times to get the delivers done all the trucks were fitted with tags no stopping and used to save up to 2hours on a run.All JIT delivers but chicken feed? lol

Rick B:

Grayham:
What a con I thought, only someone like stobarts would pay such a thing :unamused:

Yes they do and it’s brilliant! Straight through no worries.

Can also recommend the Norton Canes services

Yeah! I always stopped there for shower, even if I had to stop for the night somewhere else. Nice, clean ones and really big - it’s not the shower cab, it’s almost a full bedrom with your own sink and everything.

And yes, my company was paying for it.

ROG:
Owner drivers aside, it seems that if the boss pays USE IT, if not DON’T

My point of view. If they don’t pay, I go via Birmingham, as I am paid per hour :slight_smile:

Gates:
Pulled up and told them I took a wrong turn and trying to turn around bla bla bla they said it was too late I would have to pay then I said like [zb] am paying they said then stay there so I said fine I will
Engine off taco on break feet up on dash radio on and chilling (I had all the time in the world) lol
20-30min later some guy come out and write the reg down and said I’ll give you a bill for the company you work for to pay if you don’t have any money (told him what happened last time) he said I don’t care if you get the sake over this its not my problem so I told him what I thought of him ([zb]) I knew it was not his problem don’t need some [zb] to tell me that but I didn’t care about what would of got said about it (nothing did) So I grab the bill off him and set off fast if he was any slower with the gate hed be billing me for that as well lol

As it is a toll road is it under the same law as any other road ? (I was all for backing up or driving off with the get down lol)

Wasted about 45min all that

People like you give most of us a bad name - I hope you post is a wind up cus you have shamed us all by your childish a foolish actions :imp:

Why is he a ■■■■■■■■ and you’re not■■? You’re attitude is a disgrace to any job let alone a job where real pro’s struggle for the basics. My opinion of you on that posting is … not worth typing! I could get personal but I won’t, I’m way above you!!

If anyone can’t see that there is going to be a toll charge when you join it then you really shouldn’t be driving…simple as! It’s clearly marked for miles.

Rick B:
If anyone can’t see that there is going to be a toll charge when you join it then you really shouldn’t be driving…simple as! It’s clearly marked for miles.

That’s what annoys me about the numptys who turn up at the dartford crossing and have no money for the tolls, everyone knows you’ve gotta pay wether you like it or not so why hold everybody up :imp:

If the m6 wasn’t so screwed up with all the road works they’re probrably wouldn’t be any need for the toll road, btw anyone know if the toll road is private or government owned?

Saw you today sat in the traffic on the M62 coming out of Liverpool, glad i was going the other way, the traffic was awful!