M6 Thelwall bridge Morons

How long has the thelwall had major roadworks on it 3, 4 or 5 years. Big sign saying north bound side of bridge will open ahead of time, 4 lanes open at the end of december 2004, & yes 4 lanes where open at the end of december, but guess what ?, at night they close it all down to one lane so they can replace bits of the road surface, So why did they not do these repairs while the whole of the north bound carrigeway was closed.

I started my second career just over ten years ago and the Thelwall viaduct was undergoing repairs then and was only re-opened 8 or so years ago…

how come it needed fixing again so quick anyway ■■?

Willy Gofar:

Because the bearings which carry the road section on top of the supporting columns (allowing it to move as it expands & contracts) failed early. There is a rather large claim in to the supplier/manufacturer.

I totally agree with you Nomad, its like everything else in this bloody country, ■■■■■■ up from start to finish, then they cant even get it right! I bet it wouldnt take the Germans that long to fix a piece of road. The people who bolloxed it up the first time should be hung drawn and quartered for cutting corners with sub-standard material, dont forget guys n gals its us the taxpayer who pays for this shoddy workmanship, not to mention the delays it causes.

peace :smiley:

Allrighty

Sounds like Tinsley Viaduct on the M1 at Sheffield seems to have been under repair as long as I can remember and I’ve lived here for about 28 years.

Dont forget to mention the Kingston Bridge on the M8, Finished the bridge last year for it to be closed at nights again from this month. Oooh Fun!

could say the same about road works…why is it that they repair a stretch of road but it only last 5 minutes…why can they not do a proper job after all they know that lots of heavy vehicles are going to use it and leave their mark.as in the huge ruts or tram lines that appear…like someone said…how come the germans can do a good job and we cant…how come they can keep the traffic flowing…and we cant…instead of our ministers going on foreign jaunts …at our expense…save some money and pop across the water…they might learn something for once…
have a nice day

Very true truckboy, glad you agree with me. I watched a program a couple months ago about the Autobahns, how they are constructed, and can handle traffic plus speed, they are built on a few feet of solid concrete, in addition to the decent tarmac they put down. Decent signage on the gantries, plenty of cameras to monitor the network, and if the traffic gets really bad, they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane!!! what ingenuity. I take everything back about the Germans.

later

allrighty:
Decent signage on the gantries, plenty of cameras to monitor the network, and if the traffic gets really bad, they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane!!! what ingenuity.

They’re gonna do this on the M42 between the NEC & M40

Are they really, is it just a pilot scheme? I really cannot see how they would implement such radical ideas over here, after all those in charge of traffic and the motorway networks dont really embrace change very well. Even the government says no to increasing the ridiculous 40mph limit. What hope is there for this country.

allrighty:
Very true truckboy, glad you agree with me. I watched a program a couple months ago about the Autobahns, how they are constructed, and can handle traffic plus speed, they are built on a few feet of solid concrete, in addition to the decent tarmac they put down. Decent signage on the gantries, plenty of cameras to monitor the network, and if the traffic gets really bad, they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane!!! what ingenuity. I take everything back about the Germans.

Many German Autobahns are in a terrible state at the moment. I heard on the radio over there a couple of weeks ago that there are between 2000 and 3000 kms of carriageway in dire need of attention but they do not have the money for the repairs. There are sections of Autobahn so bad that there is a permanent 60 km/h limit for trucks in place. There are many bridges with reduced speed limits for trucks in place because they are in a poor state, some even have signs indicating trucks must keep 150 metres apart, as well as reducing speed to 60 km/h while crossing because they are so bad.

You may want to reconsider your bet on the Germans. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

danielwilkie:
Dont forget to mention the Kingston Bridge on the M8, Finished the bridge last year for it to be closed at nights again from this month. Oooh Fun!

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: dam bridge is a pain every morning and night :wink: :wink:

Poor Road Maintainers just cant get it right can they :unamused: :unamused:

Open a road early so that they only need to cause delays during the night when it’s quiet and drivers complain. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Keep a road closed during the busy periods to complete the work and Drivers Complain :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Make your minds up what you prefer then and only then can the contractors say sod you all and let the road deteriorate altogether :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

knight:
Sounds like Tinsley Viaduct on the M1 at Sheffield seems to have been under repair as long as I can remember and I’ve lived here for about 28 years.

Yeah, and it still doesn’t look any different!

Thank god the designers thought to include a service road on the lower deck. Without this there would be chaos every day. (It seems in the last few years I have driven on the service road more than the main carriageway!)

Driveroneuk:

Willy Gofar:

Because the bearings which carry the road section on top of the supporting columns (allowing it to move as it expands & contracts) failed early. There is a rather large claim in to the supplier/manufacturer.

Ouch, someones for the high jump then. Sorry forgot, it is only minor error in the specs, probably got damaged in transit :wink:

Davey Driver:

Open a road early so that they only need to cause delays during the night when it’s quiet and drivers complain. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Keep a road closed during the busy periods to complete the work and Drivers Complain :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Make your minds up what you prefer then and only then can the contractors say sod you all and let the road deteriorate altogether :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I would rather they kept it shut and finished the job with a properly finished surface before they reopen it. I must say the finished surface looks nice and smooth for now :laughing: Oh and another thing!!! How come the southbound carriageway is stil only 3 lanes, when its been carrying about 5 or 6 during the roadworks, wtih traffic both ways. Surely they can open up all 4 lanes now, but still keep the speed to 40 while they finish off underneath. Is this too much common sense?

allrighty:

Davey Driver:

I would rather they kept it shut and finished the job with a properly finished surface before they reopen it. I must say the finished surface looks nice and smooth for now :laughing: Oh and another thing!!! How come the southbound carriageway is stil only 3 lanes, when its been carrying about 5 or 6 during the roadworks, wtih traffic both ways. Surely they can open up all 4 lanes now, but still keep the speed to 40 while they finish off underneath. Is this too much common sense?

They are resurfacing the 3 lanes that were northbound

simon

The Thelwall Viaduct at Warrington is a fantastic bridge - Lets think how hard your jobs would be if Bin Laden decided to blow it?? There’s more to bridge building than being a thicko trucker :blush:

Surely it would be quicker and cheaper to knock down the Thelwall Viaduct and build another one. :unamused: