M6

Got back this morning from my excursion to Manchester Airport and was amazed at the amount of roadworks on the M6. There just seems to be no end of them, almost nose to tail. Its either the 2 inside or 3 outside lanes closed but ironicaly on the vast majority there was no one doing anything. Possible a waste of time and very anoying when driving. Wouldn’t be better to just close the motorway for a day or two and just get on with the work till its done?

You want to try M1/M25 at night… :frowning: they have just started adding an extra lane between 13 and 10…finish date spring 2013!!!
why does it take so long■■?

it’s all those tea breaks that the crews take. Haven’t had the pleasure of that junction(s) yet

there arn’t any road"WORKS". just lots of cones and cameras.

Paul-H:
Got back this morning from my excursion to Manchester Airport and was amazed at the amount of roadworks on the M6. There just seems to be no end of them, almost nose to tail. Its either the 2 inside or 3 outside lanes closed but ironicaly on the vast majority there was no one doing anything. Possible a waste of time and very anoying when driving. Wouldn’t be better to just close the motorway for a day or two and just get on with the work till its done?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: close the motorway for 1 or 2 days :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I came through those yesterday. Did you see anyone working?. I didnt.

went through them last night and came back this morning, did see at 2 places people doing something. The rest of the roadworks were suspiciously empty. They close off a section of a motorway in Germany to do repairs and its reopened in the morning, at least they used to do so when I was stationed there in the 80’s. There must be a shortage of cones somewhere as they all seem to be on the M6.

I’d like others to drive at 50 rather than 40 :unamused: :unamused: Middle lane moron matching the speed of the hampton in lane 1 doing 40…I can’t pass either side - so frustrating :imp:

Its the ones on the M1 in notts i dont no how long they go on for. I did spot i sign that said 13 miles :open_mouth: so i am guess they are about 15 plus miles :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Big ■■■■:
Its the ones on the M1 in notts i dont no how long they go on for. I did spot i sign that said 13 miles :open_mouth: so i am guess they are about 15 plus miles :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

On Top Gear they mentioned roadworks on the m1 that go on for 20 miles might be them

bubsy06:

Big ■■■■:

On Top Gear they mentioned roadworks on the m1 that go on for 20 miles might be them

Yes sounds like them they go on forever 20 mile could be thank god im doing south /south west next week :slight_smile:

Surely if they are up something should be worked on, at one point I recon the single lane must have been on for about 7-8 miles, in the pouring rain it makes interesting driving. It made driving on the M40 a pleasure, all 3 lanes to choose from

not only the m6 the m4 will be nearly all roadworks from newport to london

Just to be consistent, so is the M3 from J3 to almost J2. Must be the weather or something in the air to bring out all those ‘workmen’
Oh yeah and those god forsaken ‘Average Speed’ cameras, spend more time looking at the speedo than on the road.

the M6 from Tebay right up to J44 , you cant go more than 4 miles without a set of cones.

that section is like an EEC cone mountain

I know, i got it all day tomorrow with the added bonus it’s gonna be full of sunday drivers. :imp: And then monday on the way back down.

Did a round trip to London in the early hours this morning.
Both M6 and M1 had miles of roadworks,a lot on all three lanes leaving only the hard shoulder to run on.
Mind you,there was some tarmac going down so can’t complain too much I suppose.

there is not one single motorway in this country that doesn’t have any roadworks on them(not the ones ive been on anyway)

And the standard of work is not much to shout about. They resurface and 6 weeks later you can see tram lines in the near side lane. Surely they must realise the weight of trucks in that lane!.

Surely the M6 roadworks are there to make you take the M6 toll road and cough up for the privelege? :laughing:

Noticed on the M4 they are replacing the central barriers with concrete, why are they doing this? The metal barriers are fine everywhere else, if there’s an accident and its get damaged it’s gonna take weeks fitting a new concrete section in whereas the metal barriers only take a couple of hours.