M25 1991 The Magic Roundabout

youtu.be/JNf5Q4foYlk

Good programme about Policing the M25 in 1991.

They didn’t mess about closing lanes even with a crashed French artic straddling the central reservation, the dead body of the driver who had been ejected out of the passenger side window laid out in lane 2 on the opposite carriageway :open_mouth:

I was driving wagons in 1991 it was good to see everything I was familiar with back then.
Plenty of wagons to bring back the memories.

I miss the 20th century.I always knew that the 21st would be an alien place to me and this control freak place is more than living up to that.
Looking back it seems that being born in the middle of a century means seeing bigger changes relatively like living between1850s to 1940’s I guess.As opposed to a lifetime spent within the 1800s or the 1900’s.

Brilliant video,gives you the insight of how much Red tape and H&S rubbish has come along since then.
The coppers probably had pride in keeping it moving as one of them said your not walking on MY motorway.
Really worth a watch,nice one.

Yorkielad:
Brilliant video,gives you the insight of how much Red tape and H&S rubbish has come along since then.
The coppers probably had pride in keeping it moving as one of them said your not walking on MY motorway.
Really worth a watch,nice one.

At that point in time speed limiters on trucks let alone variable limits and smart motorways and sat navs were all science fiction.

Yep, very enlightening as to how things have changed. Had to check again when I saw this bit:
youtu.be/JNf5Q4foYlk?t=589
a copper sweeping hay from lane 1 onto the hard shoulder…while lane 1 is open. Imagine now, that would be lanes 1 and 2 closed for half a mile at least with traffic at a standstill, emergency vehicles with lights blazing, warnings going back miles, and absolute chaos for miles.

Not suggesting the 1991 approach is appropriate as we know the consequences of vehicles straying, but current methods seem OTT.

it was a very interesting video to watch, there is also one about the M62 from the 80s I think it was and that is a good watch as well

Very interesting to watch this…

Never seen a copper so keen to get the roads moving again! Actually running :open_mouth:

I’m all for health & safety but Christ almighty they take the ■■■■ these days

exit:
Yep, very enlightening as to how things have changed. Had to check again when I saw this bit:
youtu.be/JNf5Q4foYlk?t=589
a copper sweeping hay from lane 1 onto the hard shoulder…while lane 1 is open. Imagine now, that would be lanes 1 and 2 closed for half a mile at least with traffic at a standstill, emergency vehicles with lights blazing, warnings going back miles, and absolute chaos for miles.

Not suggesting the 1991 approach is appropriate as we know the consequences of vehicles straying, but current methods seem OTT.

Bearing in mind that the ability to drive in seeing an obstruction well ahead and moving over and allowing traffic to move over, without the need to slow down massively was taken for granted.Also bearing in mind no speed limiters at this point and trucks often running at around 65 mph or sometimes even quicker than many of the cars.

atlas man:
it was a very interesting video to watch, there is also one about the M62 from the 80s I think it was and that is a good watch as well

This one ?

youtube.com/watch?v=qvw9DNQWymo

Cronus:

atlas man:

This one ?

youtube.com/watch?v=qvw9DNQWymo

yes thats the one

Carryfast:

exit:
Yep, very enlightening as to how things have changed. Also bearing in mind no speed limiters at this point and trucks often running at around 65 mph or sometimes even quicker than many of the cars.

No elephant racing then before limiters even trucks v cars.

youtu.be/nMCFeoR9oSg

Thanks for the links.
I enjoyed watching them all.

For those who want to watch them when not connected to the internet I recommend downloading them through:
tubeoffline.com/