Looking to get my C & C+E

Hi everyone, Came across the forum whilst searching the web for learner resources.

I’m after a bit of advice,

I’m 22 and have been in warehousing for a few years now, but what I really want to be doing is driving. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for years and am seriously considering it within the next few months. I do worry though that I wont be taken seriously and will struggle to find work because of my age, and also with insurance concerns.

Just wondered if you guys had any thoughts on this?

Your best bet is to check out the Newbie Forum, it has plenty of threads about this and lots of good advice. My advice is if its something you want go and do it and don’t worry about your age at all.

If you need advice on the steps involved in getting your licence or where to find a Training Company have a look at this website: hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/. Its got everything you need to know on it.

If you have any questions or want any advice just ask. Good Luck :slight_smile:

That’s great advice, so I’ve moved the post. dd. :wink:

I would go for it if its something you want to do,we have a couple of drivers at our place about the same age as you,also you are already in work so the presure to find work won’t be as great as if you were not working,also if you are working in the warehouse do the company use there own trucks? i asy this because about 4 years ago i did a week works for a company that were looking for a couple of there warehouse staff to train for the class 2,that might be a way in for you even if you had to pay for your own trainning.

The place where I work is currently letting most of us go as we are all temporarily employed, granted I have been there for 2 years but I think that it is about to come to an end as we are very seasonal.
I think we are over subscribed with drivers at the minute too.

I’m not to worried about paying either, I just want to make sure that I am making a sound decision, A lot of the agencies around me have said that they would struggle to get me regular work, But on the flip If I am going to be job seeking soon anyway it might be worth just going for it, It’s having a wife and baby to support that is tugging me one way and the other.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Hi NickW,

I’ve moved your post to this forum because of the subject matter of your post.

:bulb: You’ll be able to access lots of good info and tips by reading the stickies at the top of this forum, but please don’t let that suggestion put you off asking more questions. :smiley:

KeepHerLitV8:
Your best bet is to check out the Newbie Forum, it has plenty of threads about this and lots of good advice. My advice is if its something you want go and do it and don’t worry about your age at all.

If you need advice on the steps involved in getting your licence or where to find a Training Company have a look at this website: hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/. Its got everything you need to know on it.

If you have any questions or want any advice just ask. Good Luck :slight_smile:

Good advice. There are a few threads on there from people who wanted to be drivers and after laying out fortunes for lessons, tests etc have discovered the (sometimes) harsh reality of the job and have a near mental breakdown after a few days due to being away from home, long hours and so on. If you think it might be for you then don’t be put off, there are plenty who will tell you not to bother but thats for you to decide, in any case, good luck :sunglasses:

NickW:
I’m not to worried about paying either, I just want to make sure that I am making a sound decision, A lot of the agencies around me have said that they would struggle to get me regular work, But on the flip If I am going to be job seeking soon anyway it might be worth just going for it, It’s having a wife and baby to support that is tugging me one way and the other.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

You will have an extra string to your bow if you get the HGV licence, and when things pick up you’ll do better than warehouse work.

Thanks DD, like a clutz I didn’t look that I’d posted in the wrong section.

To be fair how many different careers would people to tell you to stay away from in this climate, Although I suppose to be fair to you guys you really do get the ■■■■■■ end of the stick quite a lot.

On a side note has anyone used Scania’s driving school?

NickW:
Thanks DD, like a clutz I didn’t look that I’d posted in the wrong section.

You’re no clutz Nick, cos it’s perfectly sensible to post a question such as yours in the Pro Drivers’ forum.

:open_mouth: Now I’ll have to be a bit careful with my wording… :wink:
I’d say that the posters in that forum tend to be of the ‘more experienced’ type, and not they’re not always ‘newbie friendly’ whereas the posters in here tend to be a bit more gentle.

NickW:
On a side note has anyone used Scania’s driving school?

Seek and ye shall find:

Here are some links to get you started:
:arrow_right: Recommended LGV training schools

:arrow_right: Cheap medicals

:arrow_right: Lots of other useful info

I hope that helps, and I’d like to wish you Good Luck. :smiley:

Thanks for that, I especially found the gear box tutorials useful as well as the Recommended Schools, Have a few places I can look at now.

As you are in a warehouse try talking with the drivers that you meet ,find out all you can about the job.The economy is in a bad way as you know ,so you might be able to haggle down the price of your training.There are not many vacancies for young inexperienced drivers but check out the local agencies ,you have nought to lose by doing this.Going all the way to C+E is likely to cost about £4000.so be sure that its what you want to do.Remember that the pass rates for the practical driving test is quite low,there is detailed info on here somewhere.

Including books, medical, all theory tests and both practials (driving + cpc) cost me about £1450 just for cat c, but i paid cash on the driving so saved about £200. For C+E it will be about £1375 but again will be paying cash so will be more like £1100-1200. I sorted out the theory tests, license and medical myself so helped spread the cost alittle more.
The lessons and test were fairly hard but nobody wants to fail so the pressure is on, as long as your car driving is tidy i.e not tailgating, signalling properly, on your mirrors alot you should be fine, but go there thinking you’ll be pretty handy behind the wheel and you’ll end up looking like a prat.

I started out in a warehouse for 5 years and heard that a driver was leaving. I went out and got my c licence and started on 7 1/2 tonners taking over the drivers position. That was 2 years ago and now im c+e driver with them.

Try asking your boss if there is an opening or if you hear that a driver is leaving enquire as to wether you can take over.

Good luck.

Crack on, mine cost £600 quid in 1989 and I have yet to make a finer investment. The average age of drivers today has to be in the region of 45+ and the C.P.C will finish a few more off.

Although this is not the greatest of times in transport it’s still worth a look, try talking to some drivers and be sure it’s what you want to do. You will have to do some hard yards and crap jobs before the uniform and 40 on the SC’s.

I think for the time being the safer option for me is to Just do the C, Get the few years experience of the industry and then take the C+E, I’ve been told by a lot of the agencies around here that they wont take many C+E drivers due to insurance restrictions but are easier on the C guys.

Much thanks again for your advice.

alamcculloch:
As you are in a warehouse try talking with the drivers that you meet ,find out all you can about the job.The economy is in a bad way as you know ,so you might be able to haggle down the price of your training.There are not many vacancies for young inexperienced drivers but check out the local agencies ,you have nought to lose by doing this.Going all the way to C+E is likely to cost about £4000.so be sure that its what you want to do.Remember that the pass rates for the practical driving test is quite low,there is detailed info on here somewhere.

I’ve booked my training with Red Rose Training, they are recommended on here somewhere and I’ve paid £2225 for everything, all my tests, medical, assessment drive, C & C+E, all ADR (excl Tankers but thats only £88), Fork lift, HIAB and tacho course. So if you shop around you can do alot better than the £4000 quoted above. Hope you do well mate!

You have what looks like a very very good deal there,please keep us informed about your progress.I think that price is less than a commercial rate for the job,other trainers may come on and give their opinion.

I had to do a double take at that amount as it seems very reasonable.

I agree it is extremely good value and as I said they are a recommended training provider. It just goes to show that what we read time and time again on here is to go to the training providers and not through a middle man. If anyone in Lancashire is looking to train then now is a great time because Red Rose are putting the price up in April. Are you going to go with Scania then Nick?