Long day today *YAWN*

Hi all.

I started my first class 2 driving job on monday for a general haulage company down the road from me. Mon and Tues went ok, was out with a guy on my first day and on my own since. Still settling in obviously.

Today was a bit long however. Started at 06:30 and had to pick up a load off reinforcing metal rods and metal coils from a place round the corner from the yard. Got there at 07:00 only to be told im not ment to be there untill 11!!! So i had to park up outside and wait, luckily theres freeview tv in sat nav but you can only watch so much Jeremy Kyle before you go mad lol.

So i finally got loaded, and all strapped up including hand rails, at 13.40 I was in Wickford Essex, now off to Putney lol. What a nightmare, Got to address, good lads there with crane to unload. But traffic was horrendus and had to wait for 2 other trucks to tip before me. Anyway to cut a long story short, i ended up getting back to yard at 19:40, completly shattered. But enjoyed it also lol

There you go, ive had my little rant today. thanks for having a read.

USEFUL TIP::: Might sound obvious to some, but if carrying any metal mesh, reinforcing sheets or rods etc, once strapped up, GET TO THE NEAREST LAYBY ONCE YOU’VE LEFT AND CHECK THE STRAPS AGAIN. THE LOAD CAN HAVE A TENDANCY TO SETTLE ONCE OVER A FEW BUMS, THUS MAKING YOUR STRAPS OR CHAINS, LOOSE.

Ben

bigfoot:
THE LOAD CAN HAVE A TENDANCY TO SETTLE ONCE OVER A FEW BUMS,

Ben

I hope that’s a typo! :slight_smile:

IME one of the worst loads to carry for working loose. You can see the load starting to get lively as you’re going down the road. More than a bit un-nerving! I used to stop at least every hour to tighten chains. Scary job! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I like your style! Running over some bums to help settle the load is a great idea!

Lol Indeed it was a typo, lol

But i dont mind running over a few jobless bums if it hepls to settle the load a little.

As asda says, “Every little helps”