First day on class 2 at last!

Start tomorrow, Monday my first proper day on my own on pallet track class 2 around Leeds, was shown around the drops last week for 4 days all I can say is ■■■■ they were hard drops ,even lads who have worked there 5 years and have class 1 don’t like doing them all tight places and awkward shops and premises most tail lift delivery’s and I hate Leeds 1 drop last week to a building site slap bang ain the middle of Leeds you have to pull right across a busy dual carriageway and drive in to it then somehow reverse out back on to the road nightmare but I will have to get used to it . :open_mouth:

It might be a hard old days work, but it will be worth doing for the experience. You will get more from a week or two of this than a year of trunking. Good luck though.

Great news, hope that you will keep us all here up to

date, as for the job, try to relax,don,t rush, andall ways

if unsure Stop, Look, ask, questions, with your tip where

you have to reverse out,try to get the staff to help you

when you are3 leaveing their grounds.

ENJOY yourself ,and again all the best with the job…

Were do I start? I thought I did ok ,7 drops and 3 pickups around Leeds ,started at 730 was back in the yard for 645 tonight anyway I got my tacho out to fill out ooops I had forgot to fill in my start mileage! ■■■■ ,so I opened the curtains and got the rest of my paperwork together got into the office I told them about my mistake with the mileage so I was told one of the gaffers wanted a word with me he said that I am making silly mistakes and the boss is sick of me , and to be honest I was not doing well ,I worked in a factory 9 years and I must still have my factory mind I felt ■■■■■■ off ,really down I never got lost or crashed :cry: ,tomorrow I get my own wagon he seemed to say that if I don’t sort myself out this week I will be out ,I cant understand this was my first day on my own in the wagon 2 weeks on vans then 4 days with an other driver ,and they think im ■■■■ (I thought I was doing ok) I think if this week goes ok I will stay if I make a mistake im off better to leave then sacked.

Dont let yourself get too down about it mate, sounds like they are making a lot out of mighty little to me, its all a learning curve, ive made mistakes on tacho, 1 time shoved it in quick 1 morning in the dark, and the edge had folded over, didnt record anything all day, these things happen, i think if i had forgotten smthg like mileage, i would just guesstimate it, but it sounds like they are being a little harsh really.

Steve

JUST try totake each day as it comes,yes of course you will

make mistakes,thats NORMAL and as time goes you will

become better,as you have stated , no accidents, no problems

at the customers,and you will get better,TRY getting into a

routine when you start work first thing , this wil help you

from makeing mistakes ,as you said yourself, you will

more at ease with the work as time goes by, and this

was how we all started no one was perfect when

first starting out in this job and others here will say

the same when comeing here and posting,

so all the best and get out there and show this

idiotic brain dead pleb in your office how wrong he is.

oh well i am going to sound stupid ,but here goes ,i left joda i got the feeling i was going to be sacked dunno why just did ,i lost my confidence a bit with the guys comments ,its a good job i had my old factory job to crawl back too! (i need more class 2 experince part time i think)
Feel i faliure dunno what to do next ? :unamused:

sorry to hear your problems but i have a attitude that there is nothing i cannot do and i just keep telling myself this and confidence naturally follows i am not a proffessional driver and i am going for my class c tomorrrow i have had training and learned a hell of a lot in the last 3 days and my instructor states i should have no problems .but you have the neccesary skills as you have passed your test all you have to do is drive like you are on a test and hopefully you will get a few miles on the clock and your confidence will grow . have faith in yourself and be proud that you have passed your test . as there are plenty of people that knock new lgv drivers without thinking that they were once new at this game and the ones that dont have a license just do not understand full stop . have another go and please dont give up
matt

Matt f HAS beat me to it SLACKEYE,you are new to

the job and you will only improve as time goes by

what i and many others will also say,AS for the firm

where you started must be full of people who are

themselves so full of self importance,that they forget

every one has to start some where,and will be a

asset to the firm later on.as time goes by

get out there and find another firm and give it

more time YOU will be good it just takes time mate,

all the best and please do not give up

stuff the.silly sods at your last place,

get down to the agencies & get as much experiance as you can to build your confidence

Thanks for the replies they mean a lot, I have been to my old agency today and told them I am available every other Friday and weekends, they asked about my haulage job I told them I packed it. Signed up with a few more today asked about weekend work they said I should get some, (driver hire said the same 2 months ago never heard a peep out of them)
I thought the class 1 drivers at Joda were great, showed me how to make my load secure and tips on manoeuvring and reversing and cornering , I was driving the biggest rigid
it had a rear steering axle and was a monster , the class 1 fellas said they hated driving them, much more harder to turn around and corner, told them I had been driving multidrop around Leeds city centre they all laughed cos there’s only one man there that does it and when he’s on holiday one of them has to do it and thy ■■■■■■■ hate it!
So hope I get some work over Xmas with the agency’s I get 2 weeks off at my factory job
And I hear there are redundancies( £6000 been there 9 year) early next year, voluntary here I come! Lol

Come on Jamie wheres your balls man? I kinda suggested that that type of job was going in at the deep end but don’t let it put you off. Keep the agency on the backburner dust yoursen off and have another go. Remember you might not of been up to the job that demanded you to do put a 26 tonner where only a 7 ½ tonner should go but neither is the planner, only difference is you aint got the scapegoat. I’ll give you a bell tomorrow.

Phil

you probably did the right thing getting out of there, sounds
like your face didnt fit with one of the bosses.
glad to hear your chins back up, just put it down to experiance.
hope your back on the road soon mate.

Signed up with another agency the other day, they rang this afternoon got a job sat morning for the co op at 7 am £ 12hr :smiley: don’t know how many drops would be grateful if anyone has any experience of working for them thanks. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear your having another go and I hope the CO-OP is better to work for.
Like you I worked in factories (28 years) and discovered two things very quickly.

1. Learning to drive a truck and driving one for a living are miles apart.
  2. The truck driving industry is a world of it’s own and very different to working in a factory,bit of a culture shock, for me anyway.
    Stick at it and with time you should find a job and a place you fit in.

knight do you work full time on the trucks now? i know factory work has its good points ie u know ur start and finish times ect ,when i worked full time trucking(short i know) i found i started at anything from 4am to 7am and finished 6pm and somtimes 10 pm but i found that the time flew by and i got home feeling i had achived something no factory job can do that! :slight_smile:

In my last job, I could be starting from 0330 to 0700 and finishing anything up to about 2000 at night, not always but often near one end or the other occasionally both. There were good and bad days but they were varied and interesting. This job is much more regular, generally 0630 start until about 1600 if i string it along a bit to make the numbers up, it’s close to home and never takes me more than about 80 miles away. It’s not so interesting (or well paid) but there is the benefit of the regular hours.

In this game, if you don’t your current job you can switch to doing something completely different whilst ultimately you are still moving stuff from a-b.

I’ve worked full time for two and a half years now mostly C+E. Wasn’t sure at first if i had done the right thing, but now I know I have. The job i have at the moment is container work. Just a day driver tipping and loading. It’s regular hours ( as regular as driving gets) and the firm is fairly easy going. Not on your back all the time. The minus side is there is a lot of waiting and you have to be patient and the waggons tend to be a bit old, most of them not all,.
The factory work I did was manufacturing so at the end of the day I had a finished product and I do miss making things.

Hey Slackeye,

How’d the co-op runs go?

I did loads of work for CRS @ Alfreton during the summer.

Was a nighmare at first (as most multi-drops are) as the stores tend be located on high streets and the middle of housing estates (makes sense for conveniance stores…!).

Had a few close scrapes with an 18T, but after a few weeks I was flying - really enjoyed it. As you know, reversing into tiny loading bays from main roads & busy hight streets just takes confidance and whatever you do… ‘DON’T RUSH!’

hi it was good! tell u one thing i surprised myself with all the menovering and positioning one drop was in a village large loading bay on a slope but thats whats air suspension for oh and only way round was up a street lined wit cars ! had to ask someone to move it cos i only passed my test 6 weeks ago! u should have seen how fast he moved! lol ,those cages were heavy mine were full of beer and wine :smiley: but i enjoyed it sat £12 ph i did 730 while 8! mind u my next to last drop,harrogate i got lost ! had to ring the office for a postcode for my sat nav but other wise good day