London Bridge

Does anyone know whats the story with the weight limit on london bridge, ive looked on the web but all i can find is the city of london site that says it hasnt got a weight limit apart from the monumnet subway which is 17t limit, where’s this subway!! I’ve got a delivery tomorrow on the south side and want to come back over to carry on to east london for a collection and london bridge looks the easiest way but because it is i’m betting i cant use it, any idea people.

No limit on London bridge.

monkeyboy1:
Does anyone know whats the story with the weight limit on london bridge, ive looked on the web but all i can find is the city of london site that says it hasnt got a weight limit apart from the monumnet subway which is 17t limit, where’s this subway!! I’ve got a delivery tomorrow on the south side and want to come back over to carry on to east london for a collection and london bridge looks the easiest way but because it is i’m betting i cant use it, any idea people.

The Monumnet is on the north side of the bridge,only way to east london from south side is blackwell tunnel if your under 13.6 or the ferry,rotherithe tunnel is 7.5 ton.

The Blackwall Tunnel is 15’ 7" southbound - I have no idea why there is a difference to the northbound tunnel but there is??

gooner:
only way to east london from south side is blackwell tunnel if your under 13.6 or the ferry,rotherithe tunnel is 7.5 ton.

You can get the Woolwich ferry too :wink:

Blackwall tunnel is now 13’ northbound

North over the bridge then turn left into Arthur St. That will take you down to Upper and Lower Thames St. Turn left towards Tower bridge.

Pretty sure I’m correct but it’s been a few years

m4rky:
The Blackwall Tunnel is 15’ 7" southbound - I have no idea why there is a difference to the northbound tunnel but there is??

Because it was built about 70 years after the northbound.

At one time you could cross London Bridge and take 1st left down to Upper Thames Street. You could also turn right from Southwark Bridge into UTS.

Don’t use London Bridge as it will throw you into the heart of the city which can be busy and confusing at the best of times. Southwark Bridge is a better option usually for strangers, depends on your delivery & collection address? Or you could take the Woolwich Ferry where you can grab a cuppa from the snack bar while waiting. Where are you going exactly?

m4rky:

The first tunnel was opened in 1897, I doubt anybody realised what would happen to the size of lorries in the 1960s at the time, given that nobody who built it had ever seen a lorry. :wink:

m4rky:

The North bound tunnel was the original one. Built in the late 19th century and was a two way traffic tunnel.

The second, southbound tunnel was completed in the late 60`s I beleive.There is a plaque above the southbound entrance saying when exactly.

There was a specific reason as to why there are so many bends in the Northbound tunnel but I cant remember what it was now, maybe someone on here can help!

OK, minor edit…apparently the reason for the bends in th NB side is so that the horses drawing carts etc wouldnt bolt for the end when they saw sunlight!!! :confused: :confused: :grimacing:

bullitt:

m4rky:

The North bound tunnel was the original one. Built in the late 19th century and was a two way traffic tunnel.

The second, southbound tunnel was completed in the late 60`s I beleive.There is a plaque above the southbound entrance saying when exactly.

There was a specific reason as to why there are so many bends in the Northbound tunnel but I cant remember what it was now, maybe someone on here can help!

OK, minor edit…apparently the reason for the bends in th NB side is so that the horses drawing carts etc wouldnt bolt for the end when they saw sunlight!!! :confused: :confused: :grimacing:

I think that should read daylight.

Use southwark bridge mate but hope the traffic aint as bad as today due to tube strike and accident in east India dock tunnel this morning ill be going backwards and forwards over it all day ill be in blue scania tipper with Epd. On it give me a beep is you see me lol :smiley:

waddy640:

bullitt:

m4rky:

OK. :unamused:

Ahem!!!..apparently the reason for the bends in th NB side is so that the horses drawing carts etc wouldn’t bolt for the end when they saw DAYLIGHT!!

Here you go, try looking this up…PEDANT. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

bullitt:

waddy640:

bullitt:

m4rky:

Sorry I just thought we ought to be accurate, the sunshine would be on the horses backsides as they entered the tunnel.

OK. :unamused:

Ahem!!!..apparently the reason for the bends in th NB side is so that the horses drawing carts etc wouldn’t bolt for the end when they saw DAYLIGHT!!

Here you go, try looking this up…PEDANT. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I just felt we should be accurate, the sunshine would be shining on their backsides as they entered the tunnel.

Use tower bridge, brings you right out in east london. 17t weight limit, or if you have some time to kill take the woolwich ferry.

Right southwark bridge looks best bet, thanks for the advice, chewyboy i’ll keep an eye out for ya, im in a topline pulling a lowloader with mitchellson on it, you cant miss it coz its YELLOW :laughing: