Load/Trailer Height, Weight and Securing

Hi folks,

When I signed up to Trucknet I warned everyone that daft questions would be asked and was kindly told that there is no such thing. :unamused: Well, I’ll take you kind people at your word… :grimacing:

I expect the answers to the questions below exist somewhere in the annals of the Newbies board but my searches have yielded nowt so far… :frowning: Given that it’s our spanker on the line if something is found amiss then for my own peace of mind I’d love to know how you deal with the following issues.

Part of the daily check is to confirm that the vehicle height is clearly and accurately displayed in the cab. In practice do you normally double check this with a measuring stick and if so, is a measuring stick considered something every driver should have or is there normally one knocking about the yard?

Moving on from that, how do you know whether the wagon or trailer you’re going to be taking out is within the gross and axle weight limits? I can imagine that casting an experienced eye over a load can help with this but I’m not yet in possession of an experienced eye! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I understand some trucks have axle weight measuring built into the air suspension which would help but I’m wondering if it is routine to take the vehicle over a weighbridge before hitting the road? My guess is that it is down to the skill and load planning at the depot but…

Having had my brain filled with the importance of strapping/chaining/roping /netting etc etc the load down do you always make a point of checking this yourself (as would be expected since the driver bears ultimate responsibility) or do the loaders usually secure the load. I expect it’s ‘horses for courses’ on this one but unless a trailer is sealed I plan to make sure for myself that everything is just archie before moving off, even if at the risk of offending the loaders :neutral_face: :exclamation: :confused:

Finally since the conditions out there today are a bit rock and roll with the gales, when do you decide that discretion is the better part of valour and park up? There are often warnings on the radio and closures to bridges and passes but in practice what do you do?

Sorry for the many questions but look forward to learning from you experienced folk!

Cheers,

Lazlo

Anything over 3m must have a height marker in the cab, and it must be adjusted to show the height of the actual load or trailer. Some trailers have the height marked on them, either from the pin to the roof or something like this trailer is 14’ 3’’ when coupled to a 1250mm fifth wheel :confused:

I always carry a tape measure, it stems from the day when we had to measure our fuel.
You only need an 8 or 9’ tape, you can measure from the roof down to the red line, then the red line down to the ground once you are coupled “with the legs off the ground”

As for weights and axle weights, that does come with experience of both the loader and the driver, but you can check your paperwork, if you have 26 pallets of coke, it will be ok, a mixed load is more difficult to judge. A stack of pallets at the headboard can help or even a 3 empty cages to move the weight backwards.

As for strapping and load security, it is your licence, so taking an unconcerned loaders word, “it’ll be ok drive” wont cut the mustard in a magistrates court.

If its sealed, ask for the seal to be broken, if they are not willing, then sign the paperwork with a clause écrite. Trailer number 758796 sealed and not checked. Said To Contain as per paperwork. (STC)

it is not legally binding, but when the ■■■■ hits the ventilator, you miss the thick of it.

Well you did ask :stuck_out_tongue:

As an afterthought, the idea of supermarket cages are designed so they can be loaded and sealed, in which case, the trailer should be then left unsealed until the driver can check they are secure.

I drive the same lorry every day, its marked up as 4m but i know its abit lower. You do get the hang of how much things weigh, we have a weigh bridge in our yard but i’ve only ever used it once and that was just so i knew what to do if i every needed to use it. You’ll have a job getting loaded let along getting them to strap it down lol, its best not to fall out with loaders/forklift drivers but dont let them take the ■■■■ out of you, if your not happy with it tell them to sort it out, you mite find they do a right half arse job of loading you but if you put your foot down they’ll realise you’ll get them to take the whole lot of and do it again if they try it again!

Some of the drivers take the ■■■■ out of me for using alot of straps when securing my load but i wont take chances, i’ve had a load collapse on me once (lucky it feel inwards) and that was due to me not putting my foot down with the loader, i told him where i wanted it and he said no. Since that day i will not take any ■■■■ from them and its loaded how I want it whether they like it or not and if it isn’t the lorry goes nowhere! No ifs, no buts!

Its your license on the line, you make the decisions.

It is really up to you weather you decide to stop in the wind or not it is YOUR LIFE simple as I understand you only have 1 & are no god dead

If at any time you think it is overweight then those that have loaded it have a few choices -

Take some off until you are happy

Pay you the money for the nearest weighbridge

Give you another load which you are happy with

Send you away with no load

Many thanks for the really helpful answers. It all makes plain good sense which in this day and age is refreshing. I’ll sling a tape measure in the kit bag…

The salient point is that it’s MY licence that these issues affect and I have the sole and final responsibility for keeping it. Besides the good practical advice a take-home message for noobs like me is to have the scrotal fortitude to be assertive when you need to be in order not to compromise on safety.

Cheers folks,

Lazlo

Lazlo:
Many thanks for the really helpful answers. It all makes plain good sense which in this day and age is refreshing. I’ll sling a tape measure in the kit bag…

The salient point is that it’s MY licence that these issues affect and I have the sole and final responsibility for keeping it. Besides the good practical advice a take-home message for noobs like me is to have the scrotal fortitude to be assertive when you need to be in order not to compromise on safety.

Cheers folks,

Lazlo

You’ve got it mate, obviously you cant refuse to take out loads because there abit high or the lorry is near its limits but its got to be safe and you’ve got to be confident driving it with the way its loaded. We’re not saying you should fly off the handle if they dont load it well as its always better to work with people, but you have to be happy with it and if they dont put it right when asked then be firm with them.