Total beginner

Hoping to pick the brains of some of the more experienced of you drivers out there, would any of you help with these,obvious to some but not to me,questions?

Although I’m pretty sure at some point I will be faced with a closed door that’s telling me I can’t go any further, I am still toying with the idea of becoming a owner driver,in as far as hiring a tractor and trailer rig that is, and doing sub work.I must add that I haven’t even driven in anger an artic yet apart from passing test. Jumping in at the deep end doesn’t deter me,“silly man” I can hear some of you saying.
So apart from any constructive!!advice anyone may want to offer,
Say I’ve hired my rig and hauling for someone. With it being my trailer, would it cut down greatly the amount of times I would need to couple and uncouple? And would it mean that I would never leave the trailer anywhere to be loaded without it being attached to my truck or having eyes on it myself?
Is there a safety element that would suggest that on a regular basis you need to detach your trailer for checks?
I know the vary serious consequences of being caught for anything nowadays by DVSA. When working for someone as a newbie or for agency and where ever they send you, so has anyone come up against transport mangrs wanting you to take their truck out without bothering to do checks?
And when you have done your checks do you legally have to carry a copy in the truck with you?
How should you play it with your tachograph card. When should you first put it in head unit, when you first move wheels or when you start work?
Also, when you come to drive off with your load, how can you be sure you are not over weight?
Do all yards have a weigh station and should you always weigh your unit before going on road?
Finally, does anyone reading this contract hire for themselves and could they give me any tips or tell me what that closed door I mentioned at the beginning might be?

I am wondering if you may be better asking many of those Qs in the owner drivers forum :bulb:

Yes of course you are right. I will do just that thanks.

If I’m honest, the prospect of you operating as an owner/driver is nothing short of scary! Please go get some experience. Your lack of knowledge will lead to so many compliance issues that you will be taken off the road in no time.

1. Get some experience - I suggest a minimum of 2 years
  2. Do a management cpc course and pass the exams

You will then be in a position to make a reasoned judgement.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You will have to apply for an “O” licence

BTW not cheap as you will need a certain amount of money in the bank to start with

As has been suggested put in Owner drivers

Responded to other post only just seen this one. As I said Transport Managers and Operators Handbook a must. I’ve read it twice might start it again soon and I wouldn’t fancy it even if I was working for a company as their nominated transport manager. Doing it on your own as Peter says it’s a scary thing. Even more so when many of the questions you’re asking are more in the realms of newbie driver stuff.

I suppose someone has to do it so good luck to you if you go down that road.