Overloading !!!

Hi Lads and Lasses, :smiley:

Just started my first job driving a scania R420 pulling a loaded both ways double decker with palletised freight. The trailer can take a maximum weight of 25 tonnes. When I turn up to work my trailer is already loaded, and at my destination I am not allowed out of the cab whilst im unloaded then reloaded. I get to check my load is secure before I leave. A barcodeed sheet is all I get and a bit of paper with the number of pallets on with no mention of weight. some nights the load seems to be small 40 pallets or so,and other nights large 58 is most so far, however the pallets come in all different shapes and sizes. I am concerned I am running overloaded especially when I have to pull away in first and find it difficult to stop. When I ask about weights etc, I get vague answers or you’ll be alright mate :frowning: . As I am new to the world of trucking I need some advice on how to tell if im overloaded or not :question: or even how to estimate a load if thats possible?
Thanks in advance :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Kevin and welcome to the world of Trucknet.

The answer to your problem is not easy. Firstly as the driver of the vehicle YOU are first in line when it comes to possible prosecution for overload offences. The fact that you didn’t load the trailer, nor were you able to supervise the operation is simply mitigation, not a defence…I didn’t say the system was fair :smiley: The only way around the problem is to know the unladen weight of your vehicle and the weight of the consignement. The alternative is to take the loaded vehicle to the NEAREST available weighbridge and weigh it. The only defence in law to overloading is that you were on your way to the nearest available weighbridge to check weigh the vehicle, or you were returning to the nearest suitable point to remove excess load having established the vehicle was overloaded. It might be an idea to point out to the person that keeps telling you that you’ll be ‘OK’ that the company is putting themselves in a position of ‘permitting’ the offence by ‘turning a blind eye’ to it.
Hopefully if I got this correct, the following link should get you to the Commercial Motor directory of weighbridges:
http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

I totally agree with the previous poster. Remind the people in the company that load your truck that they are part of an offense if your truck is overloaded and that it is part of their responsibility to let you know how much weight you are carrying.

Although the previous two posters are perfectly correct I do appreciate it can be difficult when you are new to confront tm’s with this and you don’t want to appear awkward. After doing the job for a while you learn to get a really good idea of weight by various means. If you have the same truck all the time you will know by the way it pulls away whether you are close to your limit, also looking at the way the tyres sit and bulge. The problem is you need a weight check a couple of times to develop this knowledge. I used to run the continent and had to have a weighbridge check before getting on the boat and I used to play a game with myself to guess the weight. After a while with the same truck I could get it to within 50 ks or so and often a lot closer than that so it can be done.

First get a tare weight for truck and trailer, second try and get a checkweight couple of times. Know your maximum payload and you will soon get some idea and it will save you embarrasment in kicking off when you are well under weight.

points to mention are that the notes should have some idea of weight of ind pallets. try to work it out. I would be suprised if there isnt that knowledge somewhere and to support the previous posters if you are not sure then firmly ask for a weight. It is your right and it is your licence

If the drive axle on the unit bounces up and down when you go over bumps and dips in the motorway then you’ll be overweight, generally speaking.

Personally, I think you’d be hard pushed to overload a decker on one of the pallet network jobs as most of the consignments are small and light weight and usually only a pallet or two.

It is difficult to judge the weight, especially when new and when you don’t load the vehicle. but Rob does have a point when he says the most of these pallet trucks are unlikley to be running fully freighted.
However you aren’t the only person risking procecution if caught overloaded, your company is risking black marks against thier Operators Licence.

However the reason you might think it feels overloaded on some days, is that it’s very light on some days and on other it’s near the maximum payload, this could almost double the weight of the vehicle. Hence the difference in how the vehicle drives.

Thanks for all your advice I do apriciate it :smiley:

I shared my concerns with my boss today and he told me the load I carried from the Hub on Thursday nigh was in fact 2 tonnes over my limit. He expressed this was rare and was due to a high number of pallets containing tiles. He is going to arrange some training so I am able to ascess my load before leaving the hub. He told me to mention the overload to the loaders at the hub in a nice way, which I did and I came back with 44 palets instead of the usuall 50 or so. I was also told the weight I was carrying :smiley:

I will keep you posted

Thanks all again :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So they’ll invest in some training for you (so that they can pin the blame on you if you’re ever caught overweight), but they won’t pay for the one thing that would solve the problem entirely - a weighbridge.

Cheapskates. :imp:

MrFlibble:
So they’ll invest in some training for you (so that they can pin the blame on you if you’re ever caught overweight), but they won’t pay for the one thing that would solve the problem entirely - a weighbridge.

Cheapskates. :imp:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: LOL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: im sure your right

Well done for checking and you were right, thats one up for us professionals and at least he knows you are on the ball.

The problem with TM’s is they tend to take these sort of risks based on the fact that the actual chance of getting a weight tug is rare. In fact it is but it only takes the one. The one thing that always (well nearly) kept me on the straight and narrow was the thought that although the odds were good you would get away with it in the event of an incident (blow out, accident) all it takes is one inquisative plod taking a walkaround and noticing a bulge in the tyre and your nicked and even though the car that went into the back of you was old, unisured and full of intoxicated drug dealers you would be suspected of causing the incident

Welcome to Trucknet and the world of Pallet****. Which company are you with?

Palletline have an axle weighbridge at the hub and I use it most nights unless I am certain I am well under weight. It is a problem when you don’t get to check the load, and a lot of depots don’t really care as they don’t have to drive it.

I would make sure that your TM knows that you are concerned and ask that they let the loaders know that you will not run overweight. If you can get to a weighbridge to check if you are not happy, do so and if it is over take it straight back to the yard. They’ll soon stop if they think the whole load will not get to the hub or even be late.

From experience Rob - double deckers can quite easily be overweight, quite often on the trailer axles. I’ve been well under with over 50 pallets on, and well over with less than 40. The problem is that every load is different and if you are not allowed to look at it before it is loaded you have no idea what you will end up with. We’re not allowed to inspect the load until it is finished, but I keep an eye on what they are putting where from the cab and will advise/instruct the loader if I need to. On the whole loaders are pretty good, and if you let them know you are concerned they will usually cooperate. (Ours do anyway!) If you have a manifest have a look through - some will give you the total weight of the load and each individual pallet or consignment. Although it varies from vehicle to vehicle a 6x2 with a triaxle double-decker should carry around 27 - 28 tonnes. (depending on the weight of the driver and lunchbox :laughing: )

My rules are keep the heavy stuff on the headboard and only light ones behind the trailer axles. If you have a lifting back deck keep it up to stop them loading too much at the back. No more than about 300Kg per pallet space on the top deck. I’m quite lucky as my usual trailer gives a display of the total axle weight on the dashboard - 20t is usually more than enough! I also strap all double stacked pallets and anything that looks as if it might topple or slide. I need the exercise anyway :laughing:

Ultimately you, the driver, have the right to refuse to drive it if you are not happy with the load and it is worth reminding them of that - nicely. If you go away on holiday a stick of rock for the loader works wonders :smiley: :smiley:

Kevin - if you are at Palletline keep an eye out for P33 with Shadwel the sheep in the window!

Rob K:
Personally, I think you’d be hard pushed to overload a decker on one of the pallet network jobs as most of the consignments are small and light weight and usually only a pallet or two.

I disagree. I’ve run for one of our local palletline lots and a lot of the pallets are getting on for a ton, so loaded badly it could be very easy to overload an axle or the pin, especially when you see how they load them - often stacking stuff two or three pallets high in order to make sure everything fits in.

Paul