Load of least value

I know these kind of threads crop up from time to time, what’s the smallest load you’ve carried before etc. It normally turns out to be a rare tin of paint or some urgent supply or other.

Had a good one on Friday though which I thought really took the biscuit.

Me in a 26t rigid was dispatched 95km’s to collect a load to be brought back to the depot and go on the night trunk.

Collection note said “Bundles: 18 x Refuse”
“Probably just 18 small pallets of waste mate, or empty drums etc, shouldn’t be too much work” Says the boss.

I get there and everyone’s very confused, nobody can find this stuff. Eventually the stores manager comes out and says “Here it is” (It’s already pre labelled, can’t be mistaken)

…it was one roll of 18 bin liners, not even wrapped up, just 18 bin liners from the supermarket with a label stuck on it.

Destined to go to the hub in the Midlands before being sent out to somewhere back in Norfolk.

Now why, exactly, did whoever ordered that, not just think “Hangon, why don’t I just pop down the corner shop and get those, or Sainsburys” or whatever, because it must have cost them a ruddy fortune!

Mind you… Made for an easy collection I suppose!

Alex

Did you get any pictures of how to strap them down ■■

i was sent from barnsley to redcar with four pot noodle. :unamused: :unamused: in a 18 tonner

I would have eaten them and forged the delivery note! :wink:

i went out in a 26 tonner with 1 box of cake mix,they did put it in a cage all straped up.

I went from Heinz to Brakes with 12 bottles of Salad Cream on a pallet

BradCarTransporter:
Did you get any pictures of how to strap them down ■■

I must make a confession here, I didn’t strap them! Just chucked them in the locker under the bunk.
good job VOSA didn’t stop me eh :wink:

Four pallets of bird ■■■ ( in bags by the way) from Portbury to some research place near Sevenoaks iirc, asked what use it was and was told something to do with making explosives

I took an arctic from UPS at Derby on my regular daily run to Cirencester with one package the size of a telephone book on the passenger seat.

Did do a collection from Merthyr afterwards though.

At Somerfield sent out with 5 special offers posters in a tube this was on a 44 foot trailer. At parcelforce 3 days running an artic to Park royal empty both ways as it was scheduled to run no matter what. Just sit with it on the bay for 30 mins then come back.

The other day I saw five empty pallets cling filmed together going through the Palletforce network. They weren’t blue or anything special - just ordinary pallets that you could find anywhere. They would have cost someone £40 or £50 to ship.

I quite often carry just one empty pallet along with the rest of a mixed load. The pallets are samples and are usually topped with a “do not stack” card. Needless to say there is a company making pallets that use our network :slight_smile:

a fella i work with got sent from heathrow to wakefield in an artic with a 220kg pallet of mobile phones, he was mega zb off, he also colleced 3 points along the way for speeding :laughing: :laughing:

Used to do a mail run in the 80s from Crewe to Holyhead with the mail to and from Ireland.

One day I was told to follow the other driver with a tractor unit as the paddies were sending a second trailer.

Ran all the way to Holyhead to find they hadnt shipped the trailer, so had to run all the way back.

This happened about 20 or 30 times over the 3 years I did that, no wonder Royal Mail is in the state it is

12 loaves of bread in a 45 foot fridge from Portadown N. Ireland to Rugby ( Warrens ) back empty . Well it was 2 days before Christmas. :smiley:

Used to drive Sprinters for a firm whose vehicles terrorise the A17…

Once delivered a testube from Holbeach to Torquay.

A regular run was delivering 3 sample pizzas to M&S Head Office in Paddington (3.30pm on a Friday book in, what fun!)

toowise:
Used to do a mail run in the 80s from Crewe to Holyhead with the mail to and from Ireland.

One day I was told to follow the other driver with a tractor unit as the paddies were sending a second trailer.

Ran all the way to Holyhead to find they hadnt shipped the trailer, so had to run all the way back.

This happened about 20 or 30 times over the 3 years I did that, no wonder Royal Mail is in the state it is

Hardly the safest job back then mate!

Scarab:
I know these kind of threads crop up from time to time, what’s the smallest load you’ve carried before etc. It normally turns out to be a rare tin of paint or some urgent supply or other.

Had a good one on Friday though which I thought really took the biscuit.

Me in a 26t rigid was dispatched 95km’s to collect a load to be brought back to the depot and go on the night trunk.

Collection note said “Bundles: 18 x Refuse”
“Probably just 18 small pallets of waste mate, or empty drums etc, shouldn’t be too much work” Says the boss.

I get there and everyone’s very confused, nobody can find this stuff. Eventually the stores manager comes out and says “Here it is” (It’s already pre labelled, can’t be mistaken)

…it was one roll of 18 bin liners, not even wrapped up, just 18 bin liners from the supermarket with a label stuck on it.

Destined to go to the hub in the Midlands before being sent out to somewhere back in Norfolk.

Now why, exactly, did whoever ordered that, not just think “Hangon, why don’t I just pop down the corner shop and get those, or Sainsburys” or whatever, because it must have cost them a ruddy fortune!

Mind you… Made for an easy collection I suppose!

Alex

Hope your boss got binned for that one…

dave_k:

toowise:

Hardly the safest job back then mate!

Never had a problem with devices whilst on the road, we were using 20’ containers for security, but an occasional suspect package was sometimes found in the sorting office afterwards.

Although these did seem to always be found on a Friday evening just after the pubs had opened :wink:

Had to give our TM a lift once,

Teatime