Smallest loads.

I know, we had a thread like that some time ago, but it’s allways fun.

What was your smallest load (or stupidest?).

Mine was recently, two drops in Switzerland, totalling at 225 grams together (but it was some explosive materials for airplane industry and together with the packaging it was almost 1,5 kgs each).

As for the lorries, I once delivered two empty paint buckets on the pallet, driving with that 35 miles from Glasgow. The guy at the receiving company, just took the pallet off me by hands and thrown it to the skip, then signed my paperwork as if it was something totally normal… :smiley:

I also had once a wooden crate with some exotic fish, but obviously it was delayed somewhere in transfer, as the ice was gone and the fish was rotting and stinky. They refused to take it and returned it to sender (somewhere in the far east) and we had to handle it back. This was the only time when I drove with curtains drawn and tied to the back - not because of the wind, but because of the smell…

Ah, and the other day I had a plastic pallet strapped to the wooden pallet :wink:

Does running MT count? :stuck_out_tongue:

Went with my dad from Linpac in featherstone to northampton with 2 packs of Styrofoam containers.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I quite often go from Northampton to Birmingham with just a couple of sheets of paperwork, why they dont fax it or email it is beyond me !!

Wakefield - Grantham for 2 boxes in an 18Ter They could have literally posted them.

Not myself, but when working for HDNL, waiting at Droitwich for my back load, artic pulls up, driver opens back door and there’s a router in a box from Virgin Media, and nothing else. Next night, same artic pulls in, driver opens back door, completely empty, driver standing there laughing, holding an envelope from Virgin Media.
:laughing:

When running my courier outfit I received an urgent call from the coach builder in Scarborough to got to somewhere in Lincolnshire (Thetford mobile toilet manufacturers) to fetch back two plastic/rubber sealing rings for the loo’s on two coaches that were being collected that evening. The job cast the firm £165 in transport costs for the items that cost £1.37p each.
The best one though was another rush job from Scarbro’ to a nightclub in Manchester with the art work for a pop group that goes on the bass drum that was being recorded by some TV company, told the customer that the only vehicle I had available was my XJ6. Was told cost was not a problem so took the wife with me, got a posh free meal as well, and normal rate X 2. Brilliant !!
And watched the band but not my cup of tea really…

Hi Orys
I see you have made it into T&D. I liked the article a good read and well written and it’s nice to put a face to a name. Eddie.

Back load Liverpool to South Shields in a big Daf with 50 foot low loader 2 cartons total weight 4 kilo,s i had waited 15 hours for them but the funny part is i was a London driver Liverpool London via South Shields good clerking a?.

erfguy:
Hi Orys
I see you have made it into T&D. I liked the article a good read and well written and it’s nice to put a face to a name. Eddie.

Oh, it’s up already? And they decided to put my face after all? ■■■■ :smiley:

I once took six beach ball sized boulders from Purfleet to Bridgnorth in Shropshire for a playpark, and they were rejected for not being round enough. “we expected them to be like cannonballs” they said “kids could injure themselves on these” :unamused:

When I was a young lad ( that’s going back a bit :laughing: :laughing: ) I went from Swindon to Portland Island in a lad cabbed Dodge empty, and picked a 1cwt. sample bag of stone dust up, and took it back to Swindon. What a hard day :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On wednesday this week I ran from Brackley down to Honiton to collect the last load of live chickens from one of our contract farms,after driving 4hrs 18 mins to get to the site I loaded 1 tray (there’s 264 trays on an artic) containing 21 birds :open_mouth: :open_mouth: On the plus side my fuel figures for that day were fantastic :laughing:

went as a backload from cornwall up to edinburgh with a draw bar and unit with a parcel containing 8 copper washers which could of been sent by overnight parcel company…

An 8 ft box that weighed sod all to Schipol airport. :unamused:

six parcels in an artic just last week , 150 miles in total . they had it unloaded before i wound the legs down . could well be the same tonight .

Smallest load I ever had was half a pallet of dairy products, it would not have stressed my car never mind a 45’ trailer!!

Back in the 80s, two live boars to Portugal, in the 90s 3 live boars to Switzerland, and sometime around 2000, 5 live boars to Poland.
Didn`t take long to wash out on any of those trips :laughing:

Couple of years ago I used to do a regular pick up from Lille with a smaller half kilo box from Montpelier all the way to Alnwick. In a Sprinter Curtainsider

And you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I’ve been to Madrid or Milan with a van half full of empty polystyrene boxes.

Few years ago had to go from Brentwood to Sainsbury’s RDC at Charlton with a 13’8’ trailer at rush hour with 1 pack of gift tags. I asked the boss if he’d rather I got a taxi driver to take them as It’d be cheaper than sending an artic for 1 pack of ■■■■■■■ gift tags! And to top it all another driver carrying 26 pallets thats been waiting wanted to fight me for jumping the queue when I got there!
Missed the ferry back (and the duty free and onboard cuisine :smiley: ) and ended up as the most expensive pack of gift tags in history I would think!